2018 Japanese Grand Prix - Suzuka, 5-7 October

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
GrandAxe

Re: 2018 Japanese Grand Prix - Suzuka, 5-7 October

Merc actually put the inters on and only took them off at the last moment, Ferrari was the only team that stuck with them.
Last edited by GrandAxe on 06 Oct 2018, 10:05, edited 1 time in total.

Sieper

It wasn’t that mediocre, both the ferraris and RBR were on higher fuel load (on inters you want to be able te stay out so you can profit when circumstances change). Max switched to slicks when the mercs went out on supersofts, but still had the higher fuel load.

Just_a_fan

Juzh wrote:
06 Oct 2018, 09:37

As if there was a battle still going on anyway. Just more classic baiting from the british commentator (DC).
It was a perfectly valid question. If any baiting was intended, it was probably looking for Max to say something like "I'm going for the win, their battle is not my problem". :wink:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

LM10

Just_a_fan wrote:
06 Oct 2018, 10:11
Juzh wrote:

As if there was a battle still going on anyway. Just more classic baiting from the british commentator (DC).
It was a perfectly valid question. If any baiting was intended, it was probably looking for Max to say something like "I'm going for the win, their battle is not my problem". :wink:
It was a totally dumb and needless question. 50 points of a gap. Verstappen can do whatever he wants. It won’t change anything in the current dynamics.

Shrieker

MAN.. What the f... Ferrari ?!? Don't wanna brag or anything, but I called it by saying "imagine they go back for slicks only for it to rain again after others have done their laps". They could've at least sent one driver on slicks initially.. They must've thought the track was too wet for slicks for some reason.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

MtthsMlw

Shrieker wrote:
06 Oct 2018, 10:24
MAN.. What the f... Ferrari ?!? Don't wanna brag or anything, but I called it by saying "imagine they go back for slicks only for it to rain again after others have done their laps". They could've at least sent one driver on slicks initially.. They must've thought the track was too wet for slicks for some reason.
haha I said the same thing #-o Vettel - while waiting at the pit exit - already noticed it's too dry.

f1316

I think what we’re seeing this year - and tbh the previous two - is that Ferrari’s revamped structure under Marchionne unlocked some great engineering talent in Maranello that had previously been overlooked by the influx of ‘name’ talent (Pat Fry, James Allison etc.) but that their track operations is still quite poor. Since 2016 - in which they should have won a couple of races - they’ve squandered countless chances and much more rarely capitalised on Mercedes off days.

I personally don’t think it’s a coincidence that this lines up exactly with the onboarding of Jock Clear - who is an example of the previous administrations’ strategy of poaching staff from other big teams and who has never previously occupied a position as senior as he has at Maranello - but whatever the reason, whilst they’ve now caught up in terms of building good cars/engines, there’s still a ways to go in the ops department.

Sieper

Not completely Fair to Ferrari imho. At this point If Vettel still wants to win WDC he needs to win AND have a big gap to Lewis each race, so when an opportunity like today arises they HAVE to be agressive. They have to gamble, and gamble with both cars. It was the only choice. The wrong one but this is also the result of the current WDC standing.

Sierra117

f1316 wrote:
06 Oct 2018, 10:29
I think what we’re seeing this year - and tbh the previous two - is that Ferrari’s revamped structure under Marchionne unlocked some great engineering talent in Maranello that had previously been overlooked by the influx of ‘name’ talent (Pat Fry, James Allison etc.) but that their track operations is still quite poor. Since 2016 - in which they should have won a couple of races - they’ve squandered countless chances and much more rarely capitalised on Mercedes off days.

I personally don’t think it’s a coincidence that this lines up exactly with the onboarding of Jock Clear - who is an example of the previous administrations’ strategy of poaching staff from other big teams and who has never previously occupied a position as senior as he has at Maranello - but whatever the reason, whilst they’ve now caught up in terms of building good cars/engines, there’s still a ways to go in the ops department.
The only real way is if the culture changes at Ferrari. I don't like to talk about a man who is no longer in this world, but speaking ill of your drivers the way Marchionne and Arrivabene did will never motivate anyone. At the end of the day, your drivers and team personnel are who carry out the actual operations, so making sure they are as motivated as possible is what it comes down to. Same way Firas Zahabi, trainer of George St. Pierre talks about making sure GSP feels on top of the world even if some of the training partners have been whispered to take it easy at the end of camp. All to make sure the confidence is high. We saw how sometime back James came on and apologised to Lewis for the strategy blunder. And today we saw Toto tell him "masterstroke". Humans are emotional at the every end and if they are happy with their environment and they see and hear that their bosses have faith in them, then that's what allows them to think and perform clearly.
NIKI LAUDANZ SolidarityCubolligraphy | Instagram | Facebook
#Aerogorn & #Flowramir

Just_a_fan

LM10 wrote:
06 Oct 2018, 10:17
Just_a_fan wrote:
06 Oct 2018, 10:11
Juzh wrote:

It was a totally dumb and needless question. 50 points of a gap. Verstappen can do whatever he wants. It won’t change anything in the current dynamics.
Er, no, but if it helps you feel like a victim, then ok.

If Max gets in to Lewis in T1/2 and they end up in the gravel, then Seb gains massively - potentially enough to get close enough in the points to put pressure on Lewis again.

That's what the "baiting question" was inferring. Max saw that coming and batted it away with his reply.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

f1316

Sierra117 wrote:
06 Oct 2018, 10:39
f1316 wrote:
06 Oct 2018, 10:29

The only real way is if the culture changes at Ferrari. I don't like to talk about a man who is no longer in this world, but speaking ill of your drivers the way Marchionne and Arrivabene did will never motivate anyone. At the end of the day, your drivers and team personnel are who carry out the actual operations, so making sure they are as motivated as possible is what it comes down to. Same way Firas Zahabi, trainer of George St. Pierre talks about making sure GSP feels on top of the world even if some of the training partners have been whispered to take it easy at the end of camp. All to make sure the confidence is high. We saw how sometime back James came on and apologised to Lewis for the strategy blunder. And today we saw Toto tell him "masterstroke". Humans are emotional at the every end and if they are happy with their environment and they see and hear that their bosses have faith in them, then that's what allows them to think and perform clearly.
Completely disagree.

Ferrari’s upsurge in form is a direct result of Marchionne’s approach - in which he recognised and nurtured internal talent - and to me there’s just an extra step they still need to make specifically in terms of strategy and track operations.

tpeman

Amazing job from Grosjean and both Torro Rossos. Besides the Mercedes guys, RG is the only one from the top 10 starting on softs.

F1NAC

Merc could now throw new PU when Vettel starts on SS and is ninth. Minimizing chance of DNF, minimal loss of points, returning Bottas for Sochi etc.

MtthsMlw

Ocon gets a 3 place penalty so Vettel will start 8th.

djones

Hamiltons engine smoking a few times today. Add the oil leak and hesitations the last race and without knowing all the facts, if it was me I would put a fresh one in.