2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
GoranF1
GoranF1

Re: 2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

I dont know about progress really.
Gap is 2.3 sec....whit Mclaren its was more like 1.7 sec
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Sieper

Yes, but McLaren had the best chassis of the grid back then.

Interesting point though. But I Any case, they have now come closer, we will see next year what the engine is capable of.

GoranF1
GoranF1

Sieper wrote:
06 Oct 2018, 16:04
Yes, but McLaren had the best chassis of the grid back then.

Interesting point though. But I Any case, they have now come closer, we will see next year what the engine is capable of.
I think the whole "best chassis" thing is a bit strange.
It does look like from todays perspective that indeed Mcl had a very very good chassis last year while this years is a total mistake.
I think Honda PU offers benifits to the chassis as opossed to Renault PU.
Mclaren undoubtely made a mistake by dumping Honda, i am convinced gad tjey evolutined the last years chassis tjey would now be faster then RB whit this Honda upgrade.

HPD

ispano6 wrote:
06 Oct 2018, 06:12
Unfortunately it seems Gasly was experiencing power loss and increased oscillations in his PU during FP3.
Tanabe confirmed that Gasly PU was not well optimized. They could not solve it completely.

I am the only one who loves this color of TR? :)
Look at this :!:

https://twitter.com/F1/status/1048575457535246336

mrluke
mrluke

GoranF1 wrote:
06 Oct 2018, 15:57
Yeah but 1.3s is from Mercedes to next manufacturer. Last year they only had a 0.5s advantage.

Besides the results speak for themselves

Mclaren 10th & 13th
Torro Rosso 15th & 17th

Mclaren 18th & 19th
Toro Rosso 6th & 7th

GoranF1
GoranF1

mrluke wrote:
06 Oct 2018, 17:00
GoranF1 wrote:
06 Oct 2018, 15:57
Yeah but 1.3s is from Mercedes to next manufacturer. Last year they only had a 0.5s advantage.

Besides the results speak for themselves

Mclaren 10th & 13th
Torro Rosso 15th & 17th

Mclaren 18th & 19th
Toro Rosso 6th & 7th
Yeah but results are produkt of Vettel not knowing how to drive in the wet and RB stupidity and some other mistakes as well

ispano6

If Ericsson didn't crash then McLaren would have been bottom of the chart. Tyre choice not an excuse.

Gasly starts on the clean side and should have a chance at Grosjean but I think it will be smarter for Toro Rosso to lock out the row and ensure no one from behind gets past aside from Vettel who will be behind Hartley and probably will overtake Gasly on start. Gasly will need to leave room to avoid Grosjean if Hartley gets the inside into turn 1 with Vettel trying to take the inside as well. Hoping for a clean start and finish!

ispano6

Seems that Gasly couldn't use party mode during quali. All things considered, STR got lucky with Vettel, Magnussen, Ricciardo, and Leclerc qualifying out of place.

"Gasly wound up within a tenth of Hartley to qualify seventh, and said the result was “unbelievable” for Toro Rosso.

He did, however, admit disappointment at his position on the grid, as he said his new-spec Honda engine was running turned down compared to Hartley's due to issues during practice.

“I had some serious oscillations in upshift [in free practice three] and I was down on power quite a lot.

“We couldn’t really test the qualifying settings so from Q1 I was always down on power and trying to recover run after run, but in the end we could not run the engine as aggressive as the other side.

two-three tenths on my fastest lap, which is more or less the gap that we miss compared to [Romain] Grosjean, so P5 was possible, which would have been best of the rest, which is always nice on the driver point of view.

“But then, still P7, I think is like second- or third-best qualifying of the season for me, so I’m still happy.”

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/hart ... g/3190192/

Marti_EF3

That was a GREAT result!! =D> =D>

Anyone know if they can work on the mapping of Gasly car for tomorrow to better calibration between PU and Gearbox?? If not... Then maybe they will retire Gasly car if they see something not going well...

Hoping for a strong result tomorrow with 2 cars at the points. All wee need is a clean start :mrgreen:

Karim28
Karim28

One now hopes that gasly finish the race
driving with problems in upshifting may make him retire tomorrow and that's what we never hope
Just finish the race and then they solve the problems as they have 12 days until the next GP

etusch

Do anyone know TR race pace? Were they good enough to stay best of rest?

Edax
Edax

Marti_EF3 wrote:
06 Oct 2018, 20:03
That was a GREAT result!! =D> =D>

Anyone know if they can work on the mapping of Gasly car for tomorrow to better calibration between PU and Gearbox?? If not... Then maybe they will retire Gasly car if they see something not going well...

Hoping for a strong result tomorrow with 2 cars at the points. All wee need is a clean start :mrgreen:
I understood that they will try but that it wouldn’t be such an issue because the problem was in the party mode.

It is always subjective but it seems to me like the Honda is now at least matching the Renault. I always suspected that Honda would move forward once they had the reliability down. Their main issue last year seemed to me that they tried to aim for performance first and fix reliability afterwards. In my experience that approach usually leads to neither being achieved.

This year they seem to have change tack, in a sence that they began with a stable platform and worked from there. But even then I did not expect this pace of progression.

It is nice to see and I guess a lot of folks at the RB garage will feel the same.

Wouter

Brendon Hartley und Pierre Gasly schaffen es mühelos in die Top-10. Möglich macht's die neue, starke Ausbaustufe des Honda-Motors, den 2019 auch Red Bull im Heck hat. Red-Bull-Berater Helmut Marko zu AUTO BILD MOTORSPORT: „Wir sind total happy mit der Entwicklung. Honda hat 40 kW nachgelegt.“ Umgerechnet sind das 54 PS mehr.
Brendon Hartley and Pierre Gasly effortlessly make it into the top ten. Made possible by the new, strong expansion stage of the Honda engine, in 2019 also Red Bull has in the rear. Red Bull consultant Helmut Marko to AUTO BILD MOTORSPORT: "We are very happy with the development. Honda has added 40 kW. "That's 54 hp more.
http://www.autobild.de/artikel/formel-1 ... 40081.html
The Power of Dreams!

ME4ME

Personally I almost never buy into estimated numbers from the media, but Helmut Marko is a straight talker and if indeed Honda has delivered an additional 40 kW being it over their first or second spec PU .. then wow, my respect goes out to the engineers, it must've taken incredible dedication and effort to achieve this in-season.

Tzk
Tzk

2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

Looks like Honda finally could introduce a combustion process which is very powerful. Next question is how much sustained power honda has now in race trim. Max power is good to get the best possible grid position, but won‘t help if you end up sacing a lot of fuel in the race.

Also 40kW is a lot. I beliebe this is the update that convinced redbull to switch to homda.