new single seater for just woman

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
marmer

new single seater for just woman

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433 ... xt-f1-star

key points

f3 spec car
20 races
no cost to enter but a pre selection process. so that should rule out pay drivers clogging up the sport.

sounds a good idea on paper as long as the step up from this to f2.

lets say a man and woman both start f3 at 18 years old if they have the same talent and the woman has to do an extra year of normal f3 after the woman season instead of going straight to f2 then the system has failed as the man still has a better chance.

at least this is a better idea than the past 10 years of just shouting I AM A WOMAN WHO RACES CARS GIVE ME A DRIVE despite no actual success at f3 or f2 level which is the normal pathway for drivers

notsofast

Re: new single seater for just woman

A series such as this would make sense only if there are enough women in the more junior classes, e.g., karting. If there are enough women in karting, and if not enough of them are going into F3, then sure, let's do this. My gut feeling is that there aren't enough women in karting, in which case this new series would be too late.

zac510

I think it's great that they don't need to bring funding to the team. It will really open doors to some drivers who can't find funding.
Hopefully they can get some female engineers on the crews, too.

Dr. Acula

I'm very sceptical about this.
Motorracing in general isn't a sport where the physical differences of men and woman should made much of a difference.
So if a woman has problems to be competitive for instance in F3 now, why should she be better off in a pure woman racing series? The probability is high that the same would happen when they try to get into the higher up classes as we see at the moment with Indycar pilots which aren't even considered for a seat in F1 simply because Indycar pilots are considered not good enough for F1 in general.
If an F2 Team takes over the champion of the F3 women series and it turns out she is midfield material in F2 at best, the Series will die a sudden death.
And that's if you even find enough women to fill the seats in the first place like notsofast already wrote.

TAG

I think this is a great idea as long as it doesn't include parallel parking. :mrgreen:

Before I get blasted, I kid guys. I think I'd much rather watch this than formula E with fan boost.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

Jolle

It wound be great if the girls who are not in karting could find or progress trough the normal program but for some reason they are not. I think it's a very good goal to have motorsport more diverse and applaud women racing drivers.

So yes, lets hope that it helps and within the near future it won't be necessary again.

NathanOlder

marmer wrote:
10 Oct 2018, 15:03

lets say a man and woman both start f3 at 18 years old if they have the same talent and the woman has to do an extra year of normal f3 after the woman season instead of going straight to f2 then the system has failed as the man still has a better chance.

But the man has just competed against the best the WORLD has to offer. The best men and women.

The woman has just competed against the best women in a free to enter series.

I don't see the point in this to be honest, what it needs to be is free to enter for everyone and let the teams pick, if they pick all guys, isn't that saying something ? Like Pippa Mann said, isn't this just dividing the sexes even more ? Will the standard F3 in future be men only ? Equal opportunities and all that ?
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

hollus

I'll just leave this here:

http://www.worldsbk.com/en/news/2018/Ri ... 0+Champion
First female world champion crowned at Magny-Cours

At just 21 years of age, Ana Carrasco (DS Junior Team) has made history in the FIM Supersport 300 World Championship as she secured the world title in the final race of the season at Circuit de Nevers Magny-Cours. Becoming the first female to secure a world title, her performance this season has been nothing short of stunning, and it will be one that won’t be forgotten in a while...
Rivals, not enemies.

strad

It wound be great if the girls who are not in karting could find or progress trough the normal program but for some reason they are not.
I have seen plenty of girls that are interested in Karts and I see no reason a woman should need any special favors and should work up through the ranks just like a man.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

notsofast

I wonder if the situation is similar to science education. Girls and boys participate (and perform) more or less equally at a young age. At a certain age, this changes, for reasons that are still being researched. That age is not 18. It's more like 10 or 12. That's why I'm thinking that targeting 18-year-olds is not the correct approach. Some of the girls with talent will have already moved on to other things.

Maritimer

Dr. Acula wrote:
10 Oct 2018, 16:49
Motorracing in general isn't a sport where the physical differences of men and woman should made much of a difference.
Do you realize how physical racing is? F1 drivers today are like marathon runners. Of course the physical differences play a roll, a pretty big one I'd wager.

Dr. Acula

Maritimer wrote:
11 Oct 2018, 01:07
Dr. Acula wrote:
10 Oct 2018, 16:49
Do you realize how physical racing is? F1 drivers today are like marathon runners. Of course the physical differences play a roll, a pretty big one I'd wager.
Yeah...that's why Michelle Mouton was completly unable to drive the physically very demanding Groupe B Audi Sport Quattros in the 80's...oh no wait, she was very capable of driving this 600hp monsters on gravel tracks.

You don't need immense strengt or endurance in motorsports. Jenson Button for instance did Triathlons during his career. But he was just above average at them.
Why do you think doping isn't really an issue in motorsports? Well, i would say because it wouldn't help much. You don't need that much muscle and you don't need that much endurance to drive a racing car. Yes it is somewhat demanding, but never on that level like track and field or a Marathon run on a professional level and certainly not that demanding that a woman can't do it and would need their own racing series just because of that.

Or if you want a more recent example...Danica Patrick. I never heard her complain that the male drivers had an unfair advantage because they had more muscles.

strad

Any woman in good shape can handle the stresses of racing and they have proven themselves many times.
From sports cars to rally to Indycar to drag racing and LSR.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Maritimer

No doubt women can handle racing, but they are very rarely competitive in professional series, drag racing is the most glaring exception but it's also the least strenuous form of racing. The Danika Patrick example above highlights this, as she was never that good but had a nice long career thanks to being marketable above all else.

strad

Boy ... I can show you a long, in fact very long list of male drivers that were never very good but had long careers.
Sir Stirling Moss