2018 Japanese Grand Prix - Suzuka, 5-7 October

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
turbof1

Re: 2018 Japanese Grand Prix - Suzuka, 5-7 October

It is neither. They keep telemetry of the steering input.
#AeroFrodo

zac510

I don't blame the FIA (although they're an easy punching bag). Just these race threads alone show that there are always many conflicting viewpoints and opinions and after reading them even one can change their own opinion. It's naive to think that if you were the FIA and ruled with your opinion on every clash that you too would not be subjected to the same criticisms that Charlie and the FIA are now.

dans79

zac510 wrote:
11 Oct 2018, 18:00
It's naive to think that if you were the FIA and ruled with your opinion on every clash that you too would not be subjected to the same criticisms that Charlie and the FIA are now.
They deserve every bit of criticism they get, because they are inconsistent, and wishy washy far to often.
197 104 103 7

Phil

dans79 wrote:
11 Oct 2018, 17:14
Regardless Vettels on-board shows the different story. As Hamilton closes in, he turns the wheel slightly to the right and then straitens it out. Thus he is not moving across the track at a constant rate. However as Lewis goes even further right than Vettel, Vettel turns the wheel to the right twice more in quick succession, to ensure he blocks him off.
I would have to watch the replay (I haven't), but just reading and going by what you are writing, doesn't this suggest a constant movement to the inside?

If he wouldn't be 'straightening' his steering wheel, he wouldn't be cutting across the track diagonally, but in a curve/radius like he would going around a corner?
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

TAG

dans79 wrote:
11 Oct 2018, 17:14
imo, this is why you see Whiting/FIA making the statement now about two moves regardless of direction. Vettel got lucky because what he did is not strictly prohibited by the rules, so now the loophole is being closed.
Same as when Vettel parked half his car outside the grid box, they "clarified" the rules next race.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

GrandAxe

I wonder how many times a season we get rule clarifications?
It would be really interesting to do a year on year comparison with some other sport - say boxing or football.

That should give a solid measure of consistency (or the inverse). We could call it Consistency Density, or something similarly apt and fun. :D
Last edited by GrandAxe on 11 Oct 2018, 18:59, edited 1 time in total.

F1NAC

Just look at stabilized video. It is one continuous movement from Vettel. Gentle movements from steering wheel

From r/formula1

maxxer

Still going on about this Vet and Ves incident ,

For me it was a useless attempt too early , he should have just waited one round and fly by Ves easily.
On the other hand if he did have the space the exit out of the corner would have been comprimised ending up next to Ves and then maybe on engine power win it.
But clearly if you are in the race for the championship it is stupid to take such a risk
Ves already answered a question after qually that he doesnt care about drivers who are racing for the championship

GrandAxe

F1NAC wrote:
11 Oct 2018, 18:59
Just look at stabilized video. It is one continuous movement from Vettel. Gentle movements from steering wheel

https://streamable.com/6u9o9

From r/formula1
Its clear he moved, paused, then moved again. Even Charlie says there where two movements, though in the same direction; further, that sort of thing is now banned. I think Charlies words should clear that aspect up.

Vettel broke two rules. One moving in the breaking zone; and the second, moving twice (as clarified).

maxxer

maxxer wrote:
11 Oct 2018, 19:02
Still going on about this Vet and Ves incident ,

For me it was a useless attempt too early , he should have just waited one round and fly by Ves easily.
On the other hand if he did have the space the exit out of the corner would have been comprimised ending up next to Ves and then maybe on engine power win it.
But clearly if you are in the race for the championship it is stupid to take such a risk
Ves already answered a question after qually that he doesnt care about drivers who are racing for the championship
20.4 Any driver defending his position on a straight, and before any braking area, may use the full width of the track during his first move, provided no significant portion of the car attempting to pass is alongside his. For the avoidance of doubt, if any part of the front wing of the car attempting to pass is alongside the rear wheel of the car in front this will be deemed to be a 'significant portion'.

I havent found the rules of turning in to someone in a corner

dans79

Phil wrote:
11 Oct 2018, 18:39
I would have to watch the replay (I haven't), but just reading and going by what you are writing, doesn't this suggest a constant movement to the inside?
It might be my explanation or how you are thinking about it, but you are just slightly off.

Think about driving down a strait 2 lane high way in the left lane. If you turn your wheel slightly to the right, and then bring it back to the neutral (strait position), the car is going in a strait line, but it's trajectory is no longer parallel to the highway, instead its at a slight angle. Thus you will end up in the right lane eventually and have to turn the wheel left to get the car back in a trajectory parallel to the highway.

Another way to think of it is as a vector diagram. by turning the wheel slight to the right and then bringing it back to the neuronal position the car has a velocity parallel to the highway, and one perpendicular to it (though very small).

the two additional right inputs Vettel made increased the cars velocity perpendicular to the track.

I see it like this.
  1. Vettel made his initial move to the right
  2. Lewis followed suit with a more substantial move, meaning he would get to the right side of the track before Vettel, thus being able to pass up the inside.
  3. Vettel realized this, and thus the two additional right inputs to ensure he got right before Lewis, so he could block him off.
Until the announcement this was legal, under a strict reading of the rules because all the movements were in the same direction. The problem is that the subsequent moments can lead to a situation where a crash is inevitable, as the trailing driver is committed and can't back out do to the speed difference and lack of down force.
197 104 103 7

dans79

F1NAC wrote:

Take a look at the official on-boards (3:25).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwzYrqSjHtw

Also that footage has been doctored, as you don't see Bottas at all until he passes across the frame at the end of the video like a ghost.

Now read Charlie's quotes.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13932 ... ied-by-fia
"What I did clarify to them is that if a driver does two moves in the same direction, that is the same as doing one in either direction,"
In short, as far as the FIA, Stewards, & Charlie is concerned any action such as Vettels will be considered multiple moves and will be punished accordingly.

The fact the Charlie clarified with the drivers proves it was multiple moves. However under the rules at the time what Vettel did was not strictly prohibited, and thus not punishable.
197 104 103 7

Juzh

dans79 wrote:
11 Oct 2018, 20:06
F1NAC wrote:

Take a look at the official on-boards (3:25).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwzYrqSjHtw

Also that footage has been doctored, as you don't see Bottas at all until he passes across the frame at the end of the video like a ghost.
It's been "doctored" in a way to easier see the actual movement of the cars. I'm not sure what you're implying here.

Juzh

Look at this random race lap by hamilton and stare at the extent to which he was cruising. Not pushing at all, car stable 100% at all times, slow wheel movements, masive lift trough 130r, 4th gear 5300 rpm trough the final chicane.. Not even trying to go fast, yet laptimes somehow stay perfectly fine.

https://streamable.com/iipyu

dans79

Juzh wrote:
11 Oct 2018, 20:12
It's been "doctored" in a way to easier see the actual movement of the cars. I'm not sure what you're implying here.
This, and the fact the the timing looks speed up!
197 104 103 7