2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
marmer

Re: 2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

If where all offering out predictions Hartley will be worse than gas in every department and no doubt loose places at the start

HPD

It seems that Toro Rosso brought to Japan an improved rear suspension and that they modified the rake.
Unfortunately I do not understand Japanese haha

https://sportiva.shueisha.co.jp/clm/mot ... /gp_split/

gandharva

Gasly says that the TR is pretty much the same car that started into 2018 season.
https://www.f1today.net/en/news/f1/2420 ... 018-season

Are there any rumors on who is going to replaye James Key next year?

godlameroso

Has there been any confirmation that Key is joining McLaren? The car has tidied up a bit, the body work a bit more shrink wrapped as the year went on, but the aero concept has largely been the same. Probably easier to keep tabs on engine gains when the chassis is a controlled variable.
Saishū kōnā

diffuser

godlameroso wrote:
10 Oct 2018, 23:03
Has there been any confirmation that Key is joining McLaren? The car has tidied up a bit, the body work a bit more shrink wrapped as the year went on, but the aero concept has largely been the same. Probably easier to keep tabs on engine gains when the chassis is a controlled variable.
There was a quote from Zak that said he was signed. It was a matter of when not if.

!Technical

Perhaps they won't develop during the season. They'll just get a carbon copy of the RB14 that races at Abu Dhabi and use that all season long.

ispano6

If Key was that far ahead in contracts with McLaren by the time it was announced he probably already tuned out or was tactically distracted by McLaren. That or he knew he would be at McLaren and it was in his best interest to ensure McLaren gets more prize money for him to work with. Not saying there was sabotage, but the ineffectiveness of updates, questionable strategy calls, car failures in the suspension and brakes seem to keep STR from converting the points they need to get ahead of Force India and McLaren. It would be telling if there are some engineers and mechanics that leave STR for McLaren. Newey didn't elaborate on what Key was negative about, but maybe they already felt like second fiddle to Marko, Horner and Newey. Marko also said Key wouldn't be released until 2020 and McLaren have nothing worth considering to offer up for Key's early release. I believe it is payback to McLaren for having announced Key's hiring.

It is pretty close to impossible for STR to beat McLaren this year. Better to look forward to next year in the RB15 with Verstappen leading the way.
I'm curious if Tanabe-san found out who complained about Honda's Parc Fermé change. I feel he might have a vendetta now and that to me is a plus. I'm sure he has an idea who it might be, most likely the person also pushing for dyno testing restrictions who seems to be flustered by Honda's aggressive dyno testing mileage. Such targeted inhibitors and scrutineering are nothing new to Honda, nor Redbull Racing for that matter. Victory will be much sweeter.

Raleigh

ispano6 wrote:
11 Oct 2018, 06:35
If Key was that far ahead in contracts with McLaren by the time it was announced he probably already tuned out or was tactically distracted by McLaren. That or he knew he would be at McLaren and it was in his best interest to ensure McLaren gets more prize money for him to work with. Not saying there was sabotage, but the ineffectiveness of updates, questionable strategy calls, car failures in the suspension and brakes seem to keep STR from converting the points they need to get ahead of Force India and McLaren. It would be telling if there are some engineers and mechanics that leave STR for McLaren. Newey didn't elaborate on what Key was negative about, but maybe they already felt like second fiddle to Marko, Horner and Newey. Marko also said Key wouldn't be released until 2020 and McLaren have nothing worth considering to offer up for Key's early release. I believe it is payback to McLaren for having announced Key's hiring.

It is pretty close to impossible for STR to beat McLaren this year. Better to look forward to next year in the RB15 with Verstappen leading the way.
I'm curious if Tanabe-san found out who complained about Honda's Parc Fermé change. I feel he might have a vendetta now and that to me is a plus. I'm sure he has an idea who it might be, most likely the person also pushing for dyno testing restrictions who seems to be flustered by Honda's aggressive dyno testing mileage. Such targeted inhibitors and scrutineering are nothing new to Honda, nor Redbull Racing for that matter. Victory will be much sweeter.
Ok, this is BS.

Key is a professional and competitive, he's not sabotaging STR. The "negativity" mentioned by Marko was over the idea of turning STR in a B-spec team, Key wanted to build his own cars and not be the guy who fills in the blanks on a Newey designed platform.

Red Bull does have a grudge against McLaren, that much is true, McLaren tried to force Red Bull's hand into releasing Key by making a public announcement while negotiations between the two teams were still ongoing.

Both teams want Key, he is very highly respected for what he did with Sauber and what's he's been doing with Toro Rosso despite the budget and 4 different engine suppliers in 4 years, the issue is that as this point he is well overdue for a move to a big team that can give him a proper budget, but as long as Red Bull has Newey the position Key wants is filled.

That plus Red Bull wanting to go the B-spec route reducing Toro Rosso's (and Key's) independence is why Key was interested in McLaren's approach.

ispano6

You can call it BS. Others call it "bad luck". I for one believe there is a reason for everything. What's clear is it will be a shame if Honda's engine gains don't amount to points finishes, especially if they concede 8th place to Sauber. The STR car updates need to deliver, but judging by Gasly's comments I'm not counting on it.

Raleigh

James Key has been on gardening leave since July. He's not involved with what is happening to Toro Rosso. Which is likely the problem, the team lost it's technical director.

Snorked

HPD wrote:
10 Oct 2018, 19:28
It seems that Toro Rosso brought to Japan an improved rear suspension and that they modified the rake.
Unfortunately I do not understand Japanese haha

https://sportiva.shueisha.co.jp/clm/mot ... /gp_split/
So is Eddolls saying Toro Rosso have been plagued with wind tunnel issues all season with the previous updates not working? The changes made in Suzuka were a success so maybe there's hope for a successful USA upgrade if the wind tunnel issues are no longer present.

A possible 2-3 tenths from the chassis updates finally working and the same improvement on the engine side for Gasly. I hope the team can have a strong finish to the season.

McMika98

marmer wrote:
10 Oct 2018, 16:48
If where all offering out predictions Hartley will be worse than gas in every department and no doubt loose places at the start
Unless Hartley pulls a miraculous podium he wont be driving in F1 next year. I guess he already knows this hence the emotion after qualifying.
Rumours that Alex Albon is in the frame, that would be amazing. Guy deserves a shot, seriously underrated. What he has done this year with no backing is amazing.

Morteza

McMika98 wrote:
13 Oct 2018, 08:43
marmer wrote:
10 Oct 2018, 16:48
Unless Hartley pulls a miraculous podium he wont be driving in F1 next year. I guess he already knows this hence the emotion after qualifying.
Rumours that Alex Albon is in the frame, that would be amazing. Guy deserves a shot, seriously underrated. What he has done this year with no backing is amazing.
Albon has signed with Nissan in Formula E.
There are still rumors around Pascal Wehrlein, he reportedly turned down a Formula E offer (from HWA/Mercedes) to focus on his return to F1.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

kptaylor

And now rumors that VAN will also sign up for Formula E with HWA team. Shame if STR signs Wehrlein.

McMika98

Autobild reporting Albon for next year after RedBull buying his contract and Pascal looking into FE after losing out. Would be a good choice as Pascal is overrated and has not done anthing this year to warrant the seat.