Mick Schumacher recent miracle to form... / ilegal car?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
FrukostScones

Re: Mick Schumacher recent miracle to form... / ilegal car?

ian_s wrote:
09 Oct 2018, 15:31
munudeges wrote:
09 Oct 2018, 13:33
We'll see what the effect of this is, but something has gone on.
that article was from the start of 2017, its got nothing to do with Mick Schumacher.
yes it from 2017, it says means were installed FIA to prevent cheating, and teams were caught by surprise.
It says 2018 it should be more hard to cheat, but it cleary is an indication that teams tried to bend the rules. maybe to allocate more potent engines or use certain maps for their drivers.
But maybe still something is possible.
Also in the article it says the governing body "may use" and "has the right to" do whatever necessary, but maybe those rules arent't enforeced or were changed...
I didn't go to the FIA regs page to see if the are really instated from 2018.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

zac510

FrukostScones wrote:
10 Oct 2018, 09:56

yes it from 2017, it says means were installed FIA to prevent cheating, and teams were caught by surprise.
It says 2018 it should be more hard to cheat, but it cleary is an indication that teams tried to bend the rules. maybe to allocate more potent engines or use certain maps for their drivers.
Also in the article it says the governing body "may use" and "has the right to" do whatever necessary, but maybe those rules arent't enforeced or were changed...
How did you derive from that article that cheating is going on? It doesn't mention any cheating at all.

FrukostScones

zac510 wrote:
10 Oct 2018, 16:40
FrukostScones wrote:
10 Oct 2018, 09:56

How did you derive from that article that cheating is going on? It doesn't mention any cheating at all.
people think it is possible and done and the regs change is to show that it is unfounded.
It appears to be a bid to stave off any allegations that certain competitors receive favoured treatment from main engine manufacturers Mercedes and Volkswagen.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

zac510

I didn't interpret favoured treatment to mean cheating, that's all.

Nathanael F1

2018 F3 champion
Favorite Team: Scuderia Ferrari
Favorite Driver: Nico Hülkenberg

digitalrurouni

That's so cool. I hope he's not a flash in the pan and s right talent! Look forward to seeing him excel more in the future!

Sevach

Mick seems like a smart young man, reportedly people even offered him an F1 drive but he felt it was too early, i wish him the best.

Vasconia

Sevach wrote:
14 Oct 2018, 02:23
Mick seems like a smart young man, reportedly people even offered him an F1 drive but he felt it was too early, i wish him the best.
I don´t know how good he can be but its clear that its a very focused and hard working guy. I am sure his father has teached him well. 1-2 years in F2 will be good for him and a good indicator of his quality. Obviously I would love to see him in F1 in 2020 but he has do to what is best for him.

bill shoe

Yes, he's gonna get another chance in another category. Seems unlikely there would be significant cheats going on in the next level as well. F2 should tell the story. If Mick legitimately dominated the last half of the 2018 F3 season, then for his first F2 season in 2019 he should at least have multiple wins and be a championship contender.

And if he cheats in F2, then that's still not gonna help him in F1! Is the sanctioning body going to help him cheat his way to regular wins at the top level of racing? Come on! He's not Dale Earnhardt Jr. in NASCAR! :shock: :lol: :shock: :lol:

Manoah2u

Personally, I think Mick is definately talented. Also, it takes time to fully unfold. I repeat that a psychological blockade is a huge hamper.
For one, i think Bruno Senna had much, much more potential to him than we ever saw. He however always carried that mental blockade of losing both his legendary uncle and friend Ayrton,
lost his own father too, and has been out of racing because of the losses for a huge time. When he returned to the wheel, he had lost a lot of time and experience, and i am totally sure there's always been his family's issues in the back of his mind, something a lot of people pressed upon him (media) and his family too. That is even without the 'burden' of living up to the legend.

Mick guaranteed has/had a similar burden, of his father, and if he suddenly 'unleashed' then i personally think there's more of a chance of having had psychological help to deal with it differently, paired with surely also professional setup help, and finding how to put that talent to the road. Perhaps there's a minute chance his dad had some improvement too.

Meanwhile, if many others are far from talented and rather don't improve at all, then it's no surprise he became dominant.

I am curious for the next class he's going to enter, surely Formula 2.
But, it must also be said, how's the competition? Is there any actual talent entering F2 or in F2 next year?
I've been missing out on any info on F2, so i really have no clue at all.

Still, in the end though, people can suck in F2, F3, and excell in F1. There are also those who absoluely dominate and excell in F2, F3 and completely suck in F1.
Will see.

A lot depends on where he's gonna end up in contractually. I am expecting Mercedes. RedBull would be an interesting choice, would help him out a lot though and much faster.
Merc would take a long walk i'd say. Ferrari is miles away. Ending up at Renault would be pretty interesting. That'd be just like his dad.

Expecting Williams 2020. Then perhaps moving to Merc in 2021 or 2022. IF he's any good.
Ortherwise, Toro Rosso 2020. RedBull 2021.
Or, Renault 2020. To replace Hulk.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

NathanOlder

As I said before, I think next years F2 grid is a little weak. This year it has been dominated by Russell (a rookie). Norris and Albon are next best one being a rookie and the other being there for 2 years and gradually improving. Those are all leaving , and that leaves the likes of deVries (poor) , Markelov (no better than Sirotkin) sette Camara (prob best of this lot but only 1 win in 2yrs) , Fuoco & Ghiotto (3 win between them in 88 races), Latifi (just rubbish). I think in GP3 Hubert may be half decent next year in F2, Ilot and Mazepin are going to be at best midfield runners in F2 next year. The one exception in GP3 is David Beckmann , since the half way point in the season, he has looked very good winning more races in the last 4 rounds than anyone else (bit like Schumacher :| )

So IMO next year F2 will be pretty weak and I dont see any of the new arrivals being at the level of Russel, Norris, Leclerc, Gasly, Giovinazzi , Vandoorne. I hate the way some of the drivers hang around for years, Markelov (5 yrs at this level) , Gelael (4yrs) , Latifi (5yrs) and more! They are clearly not good enough, they should be pushed out rather than sit around for years!
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

ScottB

I think Makelov has said he's done after this year?

Mick will go to F2, presumably in a good team, if he continues his form, he's every chance of taking the title, if he does that, the clamour to get him to F1 will grow, so who would it be with?

• Ferrari

The big one, emotionally speaking, would be seeing Mick in red. If he's shining in F2, gets signed up to Ferrari's academy, maybe does a filming run in the F1 car. Him in those overalls would be marketing gold. Would likely then be lined up for a seat at Sauber, or Haas as an outside bet, depending on what happens with the other drivers on Ferrari's books. Could see him in the red car by '21 or '22.

• Red Bull

Tiktum was seen as the 'next' one off the conveyor belt, but his questionable antics in the past (to put it mildly) and the meltdown he's had after being beaten by Mick might put them off. Presumably one of Kyvat or Albon (if he gets the seat) will be cut at the end of next season, so there will be an opening. Would it be a good move? It's a cut throat environment, but, a good showing at STR in 2020 could see him in a Red Bull in '21, so, could be worth the risk.

• Mercedes

Wolff has said nice things about him, and I'm sure Mercedes as a business would love it, but, we've already seen them have difficulty placing drivers. Even if we assume Bottas will be replaced by Ocon, they may still struggle to find him a seat, particularly if Bottas stays in F1 rather than, say, being shuffled off to the new Mercedes factory Formula E team. The logic would be a Williams or maybe, a Force India seat prior to stepping up, but they may be the top team that's the most closed off to new drivers, if Lewis does end up hanging around for the new cars coming, unless Ocon bombs I guess.

Basically, he's too big a name not to get a shot if he delivers the goods in F2, my guess would Ferrari picking him up if I had to pick one now, but someone will think it worth it, of that I'm certain.

Sevach

ScottB wrote:
17 Oct 2018, 19:23
I think Makelov has said he's done after this year?

Mick will go to F2, presumably in a good team, if he continues his form, he's every chance of taking the title, if he does that, the clamour to get him to F1 will grow, so who would it be with?

• Ferrari

The big one, emotionally speaking, would be seeing Mick in red. If he's shining in F2, gets signed up to Ferrari's academy, maybe does a filming run in the F1 car. Him in those overalls would be marketing gold. Would likely then be lined up for a seat at Sauber, or Haas as an outside bet, depending on what happens with the other drivers on Ferrari's books. Could see him in the red car by '21 or '22.

• Red Bull

Tiktum was seen as the 'next' one off the conveyor belt, but his questionable antics in the past (to put it mildly) and the meltdown he's had after being beaten by Mick might put them off. Presumably one of Kyvat or Albon (if he gets the seat) will be cut at the end of next season, so there will be an opening. Would it be a good move? It's a cut throat environment, but, a good showing at STR in 2020 could see him in a Red Bull in '21, so, could be worth the risk.

• Mercedes

Wolff has said nice things about him, and I'm sure Mercedes as a business would love it, but, we've already seen them have difficulty placing drivers. Even if we assume Bottas will be replaced by Ocon, they may still struggle to find him a seat, particularly if Bottas stays in F1 rather than, say, being shuffled off to the new Mercedes factory Formula E team. The logic would be a Williams or maybe, a Force India seat prior to stepping up, but they may be the top team that's the most closed off to new drivers, if Lewis does end up hanging around for the new cars coming, unless Ocon bombs I guess.

Basically, he's too big a name not to get a shot if he delivers the goods in F2, my guess would Ferrari picking him up if I had to pick one now, but someone will think it worth it, of that I'm certain.
Mick is already part of the Ferrari academy, and yes he was pretty much grandfathered in, so was Alesi jr.
Mick seems the better prospect between those 2.

Manoah2u wrote:
16 Oct 2018, 09:27
Personally, I think Mick is definately talented. Also, it takes time to fully unfold. I repeat that a psychological blockade is a huge hamper.
For one, i think Bruno Senna had much, much more potential to him than we ever saw. He however always carried that mental blockade of losing both his legendary uncle and friend Ayrton,
lost his own father too, and has been out of racing because of the losses for a huge time. When he returned to the wheel, he had lost a lot of time and experience, and i am totally sure there's always been his family's issues in the back of his mind, something a lot of people pressed upon him (media) and his family too. That is even without the 'burden' of living up to the legend.

Mick guaranteed has/had a similar burden, of his father, and if he suddenly 'unleashed' then i personally think there's more of a chance of having had psychological help to deal with it differently, paired with surely also professional setup help, and finding how to put that talent to the road. Perhaps there's a minute chance his dad had some improvement too.

Meanwhile, if many others are far from talented and rather don't improve at all, then it's no surprise he became dominant.

I am curious for the next class he's going to enter, surely Formula 2.
But, it must also be said, how's the competition? Is there any actual talent entering F2 or in F2 next year?
I've been missing out on any info on F2, so i really have no clue at all.

Still, in the end though, people can suck in F2, F3, and excell in F1. There are also those who absoluely dominate and excell in F2, F3 and completely suck in F1.
Will see.

A lot depends on where he's gonna end up in contractually. I am expecting Mercedes. RedBull would be an interesting choice, would help him out a lot though and much faster.
Merc would take a long walk i'd say. Ferrari is miles away. Ending up at Renault would be pretty interesting. That'd be just like his dad.

Expecting Williams 2020. Then perhaps moving to Merc in 2021 or 2022. IF he's any good.
Ortherwise, Toro Rosso 2020. RedBull 2021.
Or, Renault 2020. To replace Hulk.
Bruno's situation was tremendously extreme, after the death of Ayrton and his dad, Viviane Senna (mom/sister) stopped him from doing karting altogether, he only started racing at the age of 18 when she couldn't legally control him anymore.

Although not quite that, Mick lost his biggest supporter and coach (and there's no telling what Corina's attitude towards racing is at this point), it's completely reasonable it took him a while to find his feet, let's see in F2.

NathanOlder

I wonder why Mick hasn't found his way to the F2 grid for the final race of the year. Norris did it last year from F3 to F2. Dan Ticktum has done it this weekend. So where's Mick ?
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Manoah2u

taking his time.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"