2018 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Vasconia

Re: 2018 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

digitalrurouni wrote:
09 Oct 2018, 22:30
I agree with most of what you are saying but I have a feeling in Monza the Mercedes cars would have beat Ferrari even if Vettel didn't mess up and spin.
No 100% sure about that, it would have been interesting to see how faster was Vettel in comparison to Kimi, as it was difficult for Lewis to find a place to overtake, maybe a defensive strategy could have worked for Sebastian.

TAG

Vasconia wrote:
11 Oct 2018, 14:54
digitalrurouni wrote:
09 Oct 2018, 22:30
I agree with most of what you are saying but I have a feeling in Monza the Mercedes cars would have beat Ferrari even if Vettel didn't mess up and spin.
No 100% sure about that, it would have been interesting to see how faster was Vettel in comparison to Kimi, as it was difficult for Lewis to find a place to overtake, maybe a defensive strategy could have worked for Sebastian.
In Monza you could follow close, when you can follow close and push/pressure the guy in front, there's no way Lewis wouldn't have gotten around Vettel during the race especially with the pace they had.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

noname

F1NAC wrote:
11 Oct 2018, 14:36
it was a mess during 2016(car wasn't significantly better than SF15T,and sf16H was done under JA supervision. )... I wouldn't say that it was James who did something significantly. With his wife dying from cancer in April2016, he couldn't have done much more for 2017 car.
Agree on 2016 car, but it has to be said 2015 was a significant step forward over 2014. And SF15T was the 1st car coming out of organization lead by James. I would attribute their far less than stellar 2016 campaign to extensive micro-management Marchionne was so keen to apply. Something Allison was not a fan of.

To avoid dragging this topic for too long - I am of opinion Ferrari's revival (as an organization) started around spring/mid-2013. Too late to save 2014 season (concept they choose for their hybrid-era bolid was just plain wrong, and already 1st 2014 pre-season test shown this clearly), but it brought fruits a year later.

Respect where it is due, and thus high five for Binotto, but it was not he who started turning Ferrari around.

Fulcrum

I wonder if Marchionne's death has played a role in the apparent weakening of the team performance, especially the power play going on between Binotto and Arrivabene?
Last edited by Fulcrum on 12 Oct 2018, 15:31, edited 1 time in total.

dans79

Fulcrum wrote:
12 Oct 2018, 15:12
I wonder Marchionne's death has played a role in the apparent weakening of the team performance, especially the power play going on between Binotto and Arrivabene?
From sure it did have an effect, I'd go as far as saying is it's probably the root cause.
197 104 103 7

GPR-A

Ferrari's lead driver has squandered two chances of winning titles with self inflicted errors. Strategists make mistakes some times, like Mercedes guys did in Australia, Bahrain and Austria that costed them wins. So far, Ferrari made one reasonable mistake of sending out the drivers on Inters in Japan. Otherwise, they have done a pretty good job of managing the races. There were times when they made the right decision in the given context, but things didn't turn out to be how they wanted. It was Mercedes' leading driver that made amends for some of the strategy mistakes and brought home valuable haul of points, whereas Ferrari's leading driver has thrown away a great deal of points. Ultimately, that has turned out to be the biggest differentiating factor.

Can Ferrari afford a similar fate for a 3rd time next year? If the Mercedes and Ferrari start the next season on par, there is no reason to believe the story is going to be any different than this year's. This sounds very pessimistic, but there is no reason that generates optimism. In the current racing form, Vettel needs the car to be half a second faster than Mercedes to beat Hamilton in qualifying to start ahead and stay ahead, which he does the best and of course, without rain.

Regardless of how irrational it sounds, but bringing Alonso back might just save the blushes, at least on track racing issues might get sorted out. With Vettel and Alonso in the same team, Ferrari might just outsmart the Mercedes in Constructor's championship. Good to have at least a team championship. On sunny days, when both Ferraris are out ahead, Hamilton would most likely stand no chance of beating the Ferraris, when those Ferraris are being driven by two multiple world champions. If they can manage to do that more consistently, then one of their drivers might even end up winning a WDC for sure.

But I guess, I know Ferrari most likely wouldn't want to do that for many hypothetical reasons. If the interests of Scuderia is what matters, then this decision is definitely be a masterstroke. Leclerc can wait, in the interest of salvaging pride back to Scuderia.

GoranF1

Rumor has it Alonso candidate for Ferrari seat in 2020, next to Leclerk, talks already held, only Vettel title in the way.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

subcritical71

GoranF1 wrote:
16 Oct 2018, 23:31
Rumor has it Alonso candidate for Ferrari seat in 2020, next to Leclerk, talks already held, only Vettel title in the way.
:shock: :shock:
Out of curiousity, and wanting to see it with my own eyes, where did you see this?

iotar__

GoranF1 wrote:
- I can name 39 reasons against it :) Plus one of F1 sabbatical.
- If fits Ferrari's approach to driver hiring (what fans and sponsors want minus suitable for Vettel) so I understand direction of rumours.
- Isn't Leclerc not enough? Doubts already before a single lap in a Ferrari? Shouldn't rumours be about Leclerc leading the team?
- not going to happen.

NathanOlder

iotar__ wrote:
17 Oct 2018, 10:06
GoranF1 wrote:
- If fits Ferrari's approach to driver hiring (what fans and sponsors want minus suitable for Vettel) so I understand direction of rumours.
- Isn't Leclerc not enough? Doubts already before a single lap in a Ferrari? Shouldn't rumours be about Leclerc leading the team?
- not going to happen.
You may have 39 reasons against it, but I have 40 reasons in favour :wink:
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

LM10

NathanOlder wrote:
17 Oct 2018, 11:26
iotar__ wrote:
GoranF1 wrote:
- not going to happen.
Then being?

In 2020 Alonso is gonna be 39 years old. Pretty doubtful he would be as competitive as he’s been in past. We don’t even know how competitive he is at the moment. The only data available is him outperforming Vandoorne.
Not to mention that Alonso will not be an F1 driver next year.

NathanOlder

LM10 wrote:
17 Oct 2018, 13:29
NathanOlder wrote:
17 Oct 2018, 11:26
iotar__ wrote:

- not going to happen.
Then being?

In 2020 Alonso is gonna be 39 years old. Pretty doubtful he would be as competitive as he’s been in past. We don’t even know how competitive he is at the moment. The only data available is him outperforming Vandoorne.
Not to mention that Alonso will not be an F1 driver next year.
Very true, but we DO KNOW that Vettel in the Ferrari has become uncompetitive. So its almost like sticking with a failure or rolling the dice and taking a gamble, unless Ferrari are happy with 2nd that is.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

NathanOlder

If the championship started 4 races ago in Monza, Vettel would be 5th in the championship, thats very poor considering he has had no mechanical issues in those 4 races.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

Redragon

GPR -A wrote:
14 Oct 2018, 08:32
Ferrari's lead driver has squandered two chances of winning titles with self inflicted errors. Strategists make mistakes some times, like Mercedes guys did in Australia, Bahrain and Austria that costed them wins. So far, Ferrari made one reasonable mistake of sending out the drivers on Inters in Japan. Otherwise, they have done a pretty good job of managing the races. There were times when they made the right decision in the given context, but things didn't turn out to be how they wanted. It was Mercedes' leading driver that made amends for some of the strategy mistakes and brought home valuable haul of points, whereas Ferrari's leading driver has thrown away a great deal of points. Ultimately, that has turned out to be the biggest differentiating factor.

Can Ferrari afford a similar fate for a 3rd time next year? If the Mercedes and Ferrari start the next season on par, there is no reason to believe the story is going to be any different than this year's. This sounds very pessimistic, but there is no reason that generates optimism. In the current racing form, Vettel needs the car to be half a second faster than Mercedes to beat Hamilton in qualifying to start ahead and stay ahead, which he does the best and of course, without rain.

Regardless of how irrational it sounds, but bringing Alonso back might just save the blushes, at least on track racing issues might get sorted out. With Vettel and Alonso in the same team, Ferrari might just outsmart the Mercedes in Constructor's championship. Good to have at least a team championship. On sunny days, when both Ferraris are out ahead, Hamilton would most likely stand no chance of beating the Ferraris, when those Ferraris are being driven by two multiple world champions. If they can manage to do that more consistently, then one of their drivers might even end up winning a WDC for sure.

But I guess, I know Ferrari most likely wouldn't want to do that for many hypothetical reasons. If the interests of Scuderia is what matters, then this decision is definitely be a masterstroke. Leclerc can wait, in the interest of salvaging pride back to Scuderia.

All of this with rumours that Alonso might not run the whole Indycar season bring some hope [-o<