2018 United States Grand Prix - Austin, 19-21 October

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Restomaniac

Re: 2018 United States Grand Prix - Austin, 19-21 October

NathanOlder wrote:
16 Oct 2018, 11:13
Restomaniac wrote:
16 Oct 2018, 09:05
WaikeCU wrote:
16 Oct 2018, 09:02
Final lap overtaking by Verstappen on Kimi... Legally! This time he makes it stick!
Let’s hope they have a consistent view on leaving the track this year instead of a bendy 1 that causes ‘cringe’ in the cool down room.
Or Kimi to overtake Max in the exact same way and gets away with it! causing Max to crash into Kimi on the slow down lap just like Cole Trickle [-o< :lol:
:lol:

Restomaniac

turbof1 wrote:
16 Oct 2018, 17:31
NathanOlder wrote:
16 Oct 2018, 11:13
Restomaniac wrote:
16 Oct 2018, 09:05
Let’s hope they have a consistent view on leaving the track this year instead of a bendy 1 that causes ‘cringe’ in the cool down room.
Or Kimi to overtake Max in the exact same way and gets away with it! causing Max to crash into Kimi on the slow down lap just like Cole Trickle [-o< :lol:
With Whiting afterwards approving it, saying it was only a single agressive move with no hesitation in it.
And again :lol:

TAG

Just_a_fan wrote:
16 Oct 2018, 21:44
Wasn't it this girl's fault that grid girls were banned? All that tan on display... 8)
It was a turning point in F1 history indeed.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

zibby43

Semi-OT but I've had a track day at COTA.

For those that haven't been there, the elevation change along the pit straight up into T1 is more substantial than it appears on TV. Sector 1 is challenging. You can play with some slightly different lines through a few of the corners.

dans79

Max won't be repeating the Kimi overtake this year, because the FIA has added curbs!

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13943 ... ass-repeat
Ahead of this weekend's US GP, the FIA has confirmed that two major new kerbs have been fitted at the location.

The new kerbs, which are two metres long, one metre wide and 50mm high, have been installed behind the apex kerbs at Turns 16 and 17.
Some curbs have been added to turn 1 as well.
The FIA has also added new kerbs at the exit of Turn 1 in a bid to deter drivers from running wide there.
197 104 103 7

subcritical71

dans79 wrote:
17 Oct 2018, 16:32

The FIA has also added new kerbs at the exit of Turn 1 in a bid to deter drivers from running wide there.
LOL, most drivers I see running wide at turn 1 are doing so because there is a fast moving object coming at them from inside the corner.

Also, please tell me no one has seen Michael Buffer on the way to the track this year! [-o<

godlameroso

zibby43 wrote:
17 Oct 2018, 05:13

For those that haven't been there, the elevation change along the pit straight up into T1 is more substantial than it appears on TV. Sector 1 is challenging. You can play with some slightly different lines through a few of the corners.
It's a give and take game through sector one, you can sacrifice a little on entry to some of the corners to carry more speed in the next slower corner, and finding the right balance is very difficult, especially as the race wears on and the grip levels start changing. It's a very difficult circuit in that regard, the hidden challenge is compensating for track evolution, knowing how to read conditions to get the most out of the car. I really dislike the stadium section, like yes you can take several lines, but then the exit onto the fast right hander only has 1 line you can take, a driver can make little difference there. The rest of the lap is quite good and very challenging, I really like the final few corners of the lap, it has a real Texas yee-haw vibe, because you feel you're hanging on for dear life riding some rodeo bull. That really quick left after the long right, where the apex is blind and the road slopes downward on exit, awesome corner.
Saishū kōnā

kptaylor

The most interesting part of attending COTA was watching Alonso try a lot of different lines through turn 1. Amazing to watch him try and analyze as many options as he could so he'd be prepared for the start of the race. Didn't see any other drivers doing it to this extent.

TAG

kptaylor wrote:
17 Oct 2018, 17:27
The most interesting part of attending COTA was watching Alonso try a lot of different lines through turn 1. Amazing to watch him try and analyze as many options as he could so he'd be prepared for the start of the race. Didn't see any other drivers doing it to this extent.
That makes sense. He has to since he's starting from way out back. If you're starting on the front row there's a lot less to analyze.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

F1NAC

subcritical71 wrote:
17 Oct 2018, 16:47
dans79 wrote:

LOL, most drivers I see running wide at turn 1 are doing so because there is a fast moving object coming at them from inside the corner.

Also, please tell me no one has seen Michael Buffer on the way to the track this year! [-o<
I hope that they put big fat sausage kerb on T9 exit.

NathanOlder

Just noticed that qualifying is 10pm UK time. The race 7.10pm. Was qualifying that late last year ?
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

F1NAC

NathanOlder wrote:
17 Oct 2018, 18:25
Just noticed that qualifying is 10pm UK time. The race 7.10pm. Was qualifying that late last year ?
Last year as well. It is because of concert later. Preventing people to go off the circuit and then back on

GrandAxe

dans79 wrote:
Ha! Turn one already required titanic balls to pull an overtake, being such a steep climb uphill. It was something to look forward to.

What better way to make for a boringly safe start? This is the corner where eons ago, one Mr Hamilton notoriously ran a highly ambitious Mr Rosberg out of town and out of road. Its safe to say we won't be seeing such daring moves (and counters) with a kerb there in current times, rather any attempts might result in much more troubling outcomes than a harmless trip off road.

NathanOlder

F1NAC wrote:
17 Oct 2018, 18:28
NathanOlder wrote:
17 Oct 2018, 18:25
Last year as well. It is because of concert later. Preventing people to go off the circuit and then back on
Oh yeah, now I remember it. Cheers.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

zibby43

godlameroso wrote:
17 Oct 2018, 17:12
zibby43 wrote:
17 Oct 2018, 05:13

It's a give and take game through sector one, you can sacrifice a little on entry to some of the corners to carry more speed in the next slower corner, and finding the right balance is very difficult, especially as the race wears on and the grip levels start changing. It's a very difficult circuit in that regard, the hidden challenge is compensating for track evolution, knowing how to read conditions to get the most out of the car. I really dislike the stadium section, like yes you can take several lines, but then the exit onto the fast right hander only has 1 line you can take, a driver can make little difference there. The rest of the lap is quite good and very challenging, I really like the final few corners of the lap, it has a real Texas yee-haw vibe, because you feel you're hanging on for dear life riding some rodeo bull. That really quick left after the long right, where the apex is blind and the road slopes downward on exit, awesome corner.
Completely agree. Well said! That long right, which is essentially three consecutive high-speed right-handers (16-18), closes out the lap with some panache.

I also love how late you can brake up into T1. A nice way to maximize the fun you have rocketing up the hill at the end of the pit straight. Very rewarding when you get that right. Kind of sketchy when you don't though haha.