General Honda F1 Topic

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
dren

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

Red Bull should be looking good next year with the Honda PU.
Honda!

Bill

50hp is a lot amus are lying before spa Honda was about 30hp behind merc ,they both brought updates Honda about 40kw . The fact of the matter is Honda has a power unit as good as the top two , with Ferrari having lost their battery tricks who knows

godlameroso

It's not at the level of Mercedes yet. By next year they'll be the closest they've ever been in this turbo hybrid era. Red Bull will be in the mix to win races in the second half of next year. Until then they'll pretty much hold course, maybe close the gap by a few tenths, so that the top two are still just out of reach.
Saishū kōnā

Sieper

Fullly agree. This is also what Max Verstappen has stated on a number of occasions, that he hopes that by second half next season he can battle (not saying on fully equal terms or so, just battle with them) with the top two and usually his estimates are reliable, eg, not over enthusiastic nor downplaying.

Then again, this is long(ish) term, If Merc (and Fer) make just such a big step as Honda is now seemingly making then they won't come closer at all, like over the last years with Renault. But I do believe in the Honda project.

Wouter

Sieper wrote:
12 Oct 2018, 14:58
Fullly agree. This is also what Max Verstappen has stated on a number of occasions, that he hopes that by second half next season he can battle (not saying on fully equal terms or so, just battle with them) with the top two and usually his estimates are reliable, eg, not over enthusiastic nor downplaying.

Then again, this is long(ish) term, If Merc (and Fer) make just such a big step as Honda is now seemingly making then they won't come closer at all, like over the last years with Renault. But I do believe in the Honda project.
I do not think that Mercedes and Ferrari will make such a big improvement in the winter break as Honda.
Honda is really busy with catching up. Merc and Fer continue steadily.
The Power of Dreams!

godlameroso

I would say 1,000hp is still the holy grail and that these power units aren't quite there just yet, at least not on track. I wonder how much improvement just comes from broadening the power band, improving midrange and low rpm power as well as part throttle response.
Saishū kōnā

dren

godlameroso wrote:
12 Oct 2018, 13:26
It's not at the level of Mercedes yet. By next year they'll be the closest they've ever been in this turbo hybrid era. Red Bull will be in the mix to win races in the second half of next year. Until then they'll pretty much hold course, maybe close the gap by a few tenths, so that the top two are still just out of reach.
I actually think Honda will be in the mix at the start of the year. I think it'll be down to who nails the aero changes between the top three teams.
Honda!

godlameroso

dren wrote:
15 Oct 2018, 13:07
godlameroso wrote:
I actually think Honda will be in the mix at the start of the year. I think it'll be down to who nails the aero changes between the top three teams.
As far as aero, I'm not sold on it being a huge change. Cars will have more drag, and more rear biased downforce, but the overall concept isn't changing drastically. The mid wing/bargeboards is still there, and although the leading edge of the bargeboards is shorter, the rest of it will be more complex than ever.
Saishū kōnā

ispano6

godlameroso wrote:
15 Oct 2018, 13:53
dren wrote:
15 Oct 2018, 13:07
godlameroso wrote:
As far as aero, I'm not sold on it being a huge change. Cars will have more drag, and more rear biased downforce, but the overall concept isn't changing drastically. The mid wing/bargeboards is still there, and although the leading edge of the bargeboards is shorter, the rest of it will be more complex than ever.
Isn't it more so that chasing cars don't suffer from as much dirty air or wash out from being too close? To improve the "racing"... I think the drivers said it best that since the cars and tires are now wider there is less room to overtake thus less racing. Many of the corners are now consider flat out straights, and battles in the corners lead to better racing.

godlameroso

They say that the goal is to have closer racing, I don't think it will achieve what they intend, other than slip streaming will be more powerful.
Saishū kōnā

PlatinumZealot

Honda will be back to winning again. In the best chassis. Imagine that.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

JordanMugen

PlatinumZealot wrote:
19 Oct 2018, 04:29
Honda will be back to winning again. In the best chassis. Imagine that.
Even though the power unit is not the best, it is close enough and the Red Bull chassis will likely be so good, that Red Bull - Hondas will most likely run consistently in the top 6 cars in the field which is a far cry from where Honda would be otherwise. Lucky that it worked out for the best by splitting from McLaren! :)

HPD

At Toro Rosso there were always engine changes at the weekend ...
Dr. Helmut Marko: That is conscious and wanted. That's all work for next year.

So does not that bother you at all?
Dr. Helmut Marko: No. That is conscious, because these are always other stages of development. This was done so that you can try out the ones in the race.

Is Toro Rosso currently the guinea pig?
Dr. Helmut Marko: No. It's also for Toro Rosso. Half of the season is already writing off anyway. They benefit just like us. But of course it's a very cooperative gesture and way of working by Toro Rosso.

How satisfied are you with the expansion stages?
Dr. Helmut Marko: Great! Super.

You have the direct comparison between the engine partner, who breaks down more often and the future. What does it look like there?
Dr. Helmut Marko: The [future] is already ahead.

Only in qualifying?
Dr. Helmut Marko: Also in the race.

That said, the decision was right for Honda next season. Can you already say that?
Dr. Helmut Marko nods and only smiles.

https://www.motorsport-magazin.com

Squid

Apparently the mics were left on and it caught a conversation between Gasly, Hulk and Checo where Gasly talks about the Honda engine.

Transcript:
Gasly: "Power is looking good, I think."

Perez: "Honda is doing good?"

Gasly: "Ahh... tres bien, it's impressive. I was a bit scared, like... at the beginning of the year but now, the step we did... we are really pushing to the max."
It's great to hear a candid compliment from the driver. No filtering for the media, no BS, just an honest take on it.

urbanglowcam

Brendan's lookin kinda nervous there as if Pierre's gonna say the wrong thing..."you're on the [mic]" 😂

Fortunately, it was all positive!