Mercedes AMG Hyper Car

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
Morteza

Re: Mercedes AMG Hyper Car

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

bill shoe

The most boring-looking hypercar is now 9 months behind schedule due to idle emission issues.

"You have leakage in the throttles in Formula 1 and nobody cares, because it runs at a 5000-RPM idle," Moers added. "At a 1200-RPM idle, you have to meet the emissions regulations. You need a stable, proper idle. If it’s unstable, your emissions are unstable."
Moers claimed this issue caused a total of nine months of delays in the car's development process, but now, the team is back on track.
https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/f ... elay-news/

At least the custom interior decoration is not delayed.

Morteza

bill shoe wrote:
19 Oct 2018, 05:22
The most boring-looking hypercar is now 9 months behind schedule due to idle emission issues.

"You have leakage in the throttles in Formula 1 and nobody cares, because it runs at a 5000-RPM idle," Moers added. "At a 1200-RPM idle, you have to meet the emissions regulations. You need a stable, proper idle. If it’s unstable, your emissions are unstable."
Moers claimed this issue caused a total of nine months of delays in the car's development process, but now, the team is back on track.

I wonder if there is really an advantage in using that F1 engine. It is all marketing, and that engine is the most advanced part of this car, otherwise it has quite a dated design compared to the competition. Funny thing is I'm more interested/excited about the Cosworth V12 of Valkyrie than this F1 V6!
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

NoDivergence

Morteza wrote:
19 Oct 2018, 13:25
bill shoe wrote:

I wonder if there is really an advantage in using that F1 engine. It is all marketing, and that engine is the most advanced part of this car, otherwise it has quite a dated design compared to the competition. Funny thing is I'm more interested/excited about the Cosworth V12 of Valkyrie than this F1 V6!
It is by far going to be the most advanced road engine ever made. The cosworth V12 is essentially using 2007 technology

Morteza

NoDivergence wrote:
20 Oct 2018, 00:52
Morteza wrote:
bill shoe wrote:

It is by far going to be the most advanced road engine ever made. The cosworth V12 is essentially using 2007 technology
Of course! But it is somewhat upsetting to see the car being delayed due to the fact that its engine has problems with emissions.

Cold Fussion

bosyber

I have to say, I find the Valkyrie an ugly bathtub with an oldfashioned big hunk of an engine.
I do agree though that while I like the idea of the AMG One, it looks very, ähm, Mercedes solid( especially in silver) rather than super/hypercar spectacular.

MtthsMlw

You can hear that it got 3 MGU-Ks

Morteza

P.S.

Morteza wrote:
Good question imo. Wasn´t it the old and golden "Group C" regulations where they just limited the fuel?
Though back then small turbocharged engines have been quite successful!?

the EDGE

MtthsMlw wrote:
07 Oct 2019, 22:27
You can hear that it got 3 MGU-Ks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yq6AsVeURU
Sounds quite painful to listen to

Morteza

Edax

bosyber wrote:
19 Jan 2019, 17:48
I have to say, I find the Valkyrie an ugly bathtub with an oldfashioned big hunk of an engine.
I do agree though that while I like the idea of the AMG One, it looks very, ähm, Mercedes solid( especially in silver) rather than super/hypercar spectacular.
Yeah but on the other side, when you look at the spectacular Supercars I wonder how much of the spectacle is actually costing performance rather than adding to it.

There is only so much you can do given the constraints of 2 seats, one engine, 4 wheels and a set of head and taillights at prescribed positions.

Look at airplanes. They are quite ruthless in chasing efficiency. 40 years ago you had 2,3,4 engines, tail mounted, underwing, overwing, high wings, low wings, t-tails etc. As Aero progressed only one configuration remained. As a result you have to be an enthousiast to keep models apart, and we have gotten to a point that even fuselage colors are considered an extravagance due to weight and load on the airco.

Holm86

It's a very interesting powertrain, but the worst part is that it sounds just as bad as the F1 cars

NoDivergence

Edax wrote:
19 Aug 2020, 23:37
bosyber wrote:
19 Jan 2019, 17:48
Yeah but on the other side, when you look at the spectacular Supercars I wonder how much of the spectacle is actually costing performance rather than adding to it.

There is only so much you can do given the constraints of 2 seats, one engine, 4 wheels and a set of head and taillights at prescribed positions.

Look at airplanes. They are quite ruthless in chasing efficiency. 40 years ago you had 2,3,4 engines, tail mounted, underwing, overwing, high wings, low wings, t-tails etc. As Aero progressed only one configuration remained. As a result you have to be an enthousiast to keep models apart, and we have gotten to a point that even fuselage colors are considered an extravagance due to weight and load on the airco.
It's not the aero that has progressed, but rather the design target. We could have Mach 3+ aircraft right now. It just gulps so much fuel, it doesn't make business sense. If performance was the end all be all, we could be way further in both automotive and aeronautical design