2018 United States Grand Prix - Austin, 19-21 October

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Sierra117

Re: 2018 United States Grand Prix - Austin, 19-21 October

Ah man I honestly think we should leave Vettel alone. I think in this day and age where technology advances so quickly and athletes break record after record we've become too critical. In part that has helped fuel the breaking of said records and boundaries but at the end of the day it's just a sport. To have Vettel improve himself we need to not make him feel like he just pressed the big red button on the Death Star. Pat on the back, better luck next time (there are still 100 points left btw so anything whacky can happen). I just feel like we've become so busy with bashing Vettel that we've stopped enjoying the whole idea of these guys driving around like maniacs in crazy cars :)
NIKI LAUDANZ SolidarityCubolligraphy | Instagram | Facebook
#Aerogorn & #Flowramir

komninosm

In this day and age you mean where Vettel didn't even get a black flag for colliding on purpose behind a safety car, while in the old times Schumacher got blacked for an entire season for a much less obvious incident? And apologized for it?
Those old times you mean?

If Vettel wants to improve himself all he has to do is stop lying and take responsibility like a man. Like Schumacher did.
Ferrari has to grow up too. It's making their fans even worse behaved by not setting a good example.

Other than that we're still enjoying the races just fine. Great year by Hamilton, nice combat between Mercedes and Ferrari tech and Red Bull got a few nice punches too. Great fights midfield.
Your argument was fallacious.

Juzh

Just gonna leave this here in regards to the german gp:
Although Hamilton was adjudged to have committed an offence, the stewards’ official verdict revealed he had escaped a stiffer penalty because:

— ‘The driver and the team candidly admitted the mistake and the fact there was confusion within the team as to whether to stay out or to enter the pits and that led to the infringement.’

— ‘The fact that the infringement took place during a Safety Car period.’

— ‘At no time was there any danger to any other competitor and the change in direction was executed in a safe way.’
So the fia here admitted hamilton was guilty but because there was no danger no penalty was given, yet in this case (also ric's and ocon's) they went totally by the book. Mercedes must be ******g those ****s pretty good one must admit.

Restomaniac

Hamilton must be frightening to be up against ATM.

‘We won’t learn anything’ Hamilton states but goes out with around 10 minutes anyway when given the option not to bother, then proceeds to smash everyone and returns to the pits to put his feet up. He is on another level ATM.

dans79

Juzh wrote:
20 Oct 2018, 14:28
— ‘The driver and the team candidly admitted the mistake and the fact there was confusion within the team as to whether to stay out or to enter the pits and that led to the infringement.’
The above is the important bit Lewis and the team straight up said we screwed this up. Vettel on the other hand complains about the rules and refuses to take any responsibility!
197 104 103 7

Juzh

dans79 wrote:
20 Oct 2018, 14:43
Juzh wrote:
20 Oct 2018, 14:28
The above is the important bit Lewis and the team straight up said we screwed this up. Vettel on the other hand complains about the rules and refuses to take any responsibility!
This was one of the most moronic eplanations ever given by the fia, simply because in most cases a mistake is indeed made due to some sort of confusion.

Williams mistakenly gave bottas 3 soft tires and 1 medium tire during a pitstop in spa 2016 due to "confusion". Result: drive-trough. Even though if given the time to explain themselves, they would most likely admit a mistake (since it's 100% obvious one), but no, penalty it is.

Sierra117

komninosm wrote:
20 Oct 2018, 13:50
In this day and age you mean where Vettel didn't even get a black flag for colliding on purpose behind a safety car, while in the old times Schumacher got blacked for an entire season for a much less obvious incident? And apologized for it?
Those old times you mean?

If Vettel wants to improve himself all he has to do is stop lying and take responsibility like a man. Like Schumacher did.
Ferrari has to grow up too. It's making their fans even worse behaved by not setting a good example.

Other than that we're still enjoying the races just fine. Great year by Hamilton, nice combat between Mercedes and Ferrari tech and Red Bull got a few nice punches too. Great fights midfield.
Your argument was fallacious.
I think my context went missing. I was speaking within the confines of this forum. I agree with you, I want nothing more than to have Vettel get the appropriate penalties for his Baku incident and others for their infractions ... but at the end of the day it's all done and dusted. More specifically, we're burning our blood here because Vettel doesn't come here and read our posts. If we want something changed we should probably take it up with the FIA or the drivers themselves.

Otherwise all that happens is 100+ pages of fighting and bickering and nothing happens except we the fans become more and more divided amongst ourselves. I was simply speaking for the overall climate of discussions. There's no point ruining one's own mood when you know that at the end of the day it's a sport (aside from really serious things like the aforementioned Baku incident). That's all.
#Aerogorn & #Flowramir

GoranF1

Is it going to be wet quali?
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

MtthsMlw

GoranF1 wrote:
20 Oct 2018, 15:30
My forecast has it dry atm.

subcritical71

MtthsMlw wrote:
20 Oct 2018, 15:35
GoranF1 wrote:
Weather Underground is forecasting dry for the remainder of the weekend.

subcritical71

I have to say, it’s a quarter past 10am my time and I still don’t have my F1 qualifying fix! I love that F1 has come back to America but I don’t enjoy waiting for a normal (sensible) starting time of activities. :wink: Bring on P3 already! :mrgreen:

GoranF1

subcritical71 wrote:
20 Oct 2018, 16:07
MtthsMlw wrote:
20 Oct 2018, 15:35
GoranF1 wrote:
Weather Underground is forecasting dry for the remainder of the weekend.

http://i.imgur.com/rzdfCPk.jpg
Ok, so i will not put money on Alonso pole then.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Sierra117

subcritical71 wrote:
20 Oct 2018, 16:20
I have to say, it’s a quarter past 10am my time and I still don’t have my F1 qualifying fix! I love that F1 has come back to America but I don’t enjoy waiting for a normal (sensible) starting time of activities. :wink: Bring on P3 already! :mrgreen:
Man as much as I love COTA, the schedule for us here in Kiwi land is nuts 😂
#Aerogorn & #Flowramir

seventhsin

I know right, I'm going have to watch the race on the commute to work this Monday (Australia) bizarre

With regards to stewards and penalties, keep in mind that one of the major factors in their decision is previous similar violations and their outcomes. We have anecdotal evidence, they have raw data.
In the context of the championship, no one wants this, but as many have acknowledged earlier with penalties to other drivers, Vettels penalty is fair and just.

Lastly, the 2018 championship battle. While always having admired Lewis talent but not his character, I must admit that he has now truly grown into a complete F1 legend. He is and has been operating several degrees higher than anyone else on the grid nearly all year and when you consider his extra curricular activities it's pretty impressive to see what a person is truly capable of achieving.

Still, I hope in the next couple years we'll see a legitimate title fight, who knows what RBR and Honda can cook up, and if Ferrari and Vettel can mount a challenge again.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Sierra117

seventhsin wrote:
20 Oct 2018, 16:48
I know right, I'm going have to watch the race on the commute to work this Monday (Australia) bizarre

With regards to stewards and penalties, keep in mind that one of the major factors in their decision is previous similar violations and their outcomes. We have anecdotal evidence, they have raw data.
In the context of the championship, no one wants this, but as many have acknowledged earlier with penalties to other drivers, Vettels penalty is fair and just.

Lastly, the 2018 championship battle. While always having admired Lewis talent but not his character, I must admit that he has now truly grown into a complete F1 legend. He is and has been operating several degrees higher than anyone else on the grid nearly all year and when you consider his extra curricular activities it's pretty impressive to see what a person is truly capable of achieving.

Still, I hope in the next couple years we'll see a legitimate title fight, who knows what RBR and Honda can cook up, and if Ferrari and Vettel can mount a challenge again.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
I personally don't know what's so wrong about Lewis' character. Like seriously, what is it? What am I missing? He personally inspires me, and that's something I can say about a really handful of people in this world.

I think we saw a legitimate title fight. Ferrari had the better car for majority of the season and had no reliability issues thus far. It's just that F1 is based on performance of several people, like any team and Lewis did his job and so did the guys and gals back at HQ. They overcame their challenges and made the car arguably better. I suppose with Honda and RBR it would be more exciting no doubt.

Anyway, I really hope we get a race here in Oceania part of the calendar soon!
#Aerogorn & #Flowramir