2018 United States Grand Prix - Austin, 19-21 October

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
matt_b

Re: 2018 United States Grand Prix - Austin, 19-21 October

Close qualifying but once again Lewis does it again just when it looked like a Ferrari front row lockout

foxmulder_ms

That was fun. I thought Kimi got it then... :| :D

ringo

Ferrari the stronger car here given the gaps to teammates.
I believe Vettel could have beat Kimi by more.
For Sure!!

maxxer

I just love to switch of the tv as soon as they finish all this nonsense with interviews after.
Sorry sky i dont do pre shows and after shows and whatever.

Phil

LM10 wrote:
21 Oct 2018, 00:04
Ferraris very close to Hamilton’s time. What now? No second sensor? :lol:

Congratulations to Lewis on his lap.
IMO - prior second sensor, Ferrari was ahead of Mercedes. With, neck at neck. But Ferrari had tire problems last few races that made them fall back further. Seems they have things sorted out again.

Also bravo to Ferrari for putting Kimi on ultras in Q2. Being aggressive. Gonna make for an interesting race, as i think P2 is a good position to start, especially with the softer tire.

Bottas will be the key tomorrow if Hamilton seals the championship or not. If he cant keep Vettel at bay or not.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

TAG

dans79 wrote:
21 Oct 2018, 00:03
NathanOlder wrote:
21 Oct 2018, 00:02
Lewis starting next to Kimi who starts on softer tyres
But kimi hasn't gained a position at the start all season has he?
Since 2016,
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

Bill_Kar

Phil wrote:
21 Oct 2018, 00:09
LM10 wrote:

IMO - prior second sensor, Ferrari was ahead of Mercedes. With, neck at neck. But Ferrari had tire problems last few races that made them fall back further. Seems they have things sorted out again.

Also bravo to Ferrari for putting Kimi on ultras in Q2. Being aggressive. Gonna make for an interesting race, as i think P2 is a good position to start, especially with the softer tire.

Bottas will be the key tomorrow if Hamilton seals the championship or not. If he cant keep Vettel at bay or not.
He won't be able, he looks far from being competitive. Hamilton should concentrate in winning, I think title will come in Mexico as it seems.

Phillyred

Tires, tires, tires... Will be interesting to see how many laps RAI can squeeze out of his tires...

Edax

ringo wrote:
21 Oct 2018, 00:07
Ferrari the stronger car here given the gaps to teammates.
I believe Vettel could have beat Kimi by more.
Yeah Hamilton also took a lot of risk riding the sausage curbs much harder than everyone else. That Merc is built like a tank.

dans79

TAG wrote:
21 Oct 2018, 00:11
dans79 wrote:
21 Oct 2018, 00:03
NathanOlder wrote:
21 Oct 2018, 00:02
Lewis starting next to Kimi who starts on softer tyres
But kimi hasn't gained a position at the start all season has he?
Since 2016,
So he hasn't gained at the start since 2016, is on the dirty side of the grid, and is on tires that won't last long.

Should we take bets about him having to pit early and then coming out and being stuck behind max the rest of the race?
197 104 103 7

LM10

Phil wrote:
LM10 wrote:

I’m not sure about how to look at it. There are 2 options. Either it was a magical lap from Hamilton again with Ferrari still being close with both cars OR it was a “normal” lap from Hamilton with Ferrari only keeping it close because of that.

Taking in consideration that Lewis is in an exceptional and a better form than he’s been couple of months ago and also given the big gap to Bottas, I tend to go with first option.

ringo

Hamilton will beat Kimi easily despite kimi being on the faster tyre, and even if Kimi overtakes lewis.
Somehow i just think Kimi will fluff the win.
Anyhow not having Max in the mix has really dampened the action at the front. Hard to say if its better for Vettel or Worse for him. Maybe better?
Vettel just has to jump Daniel Riccardo, and he should be fine with fighting Bottas. Kimi can try to ruin Lewis' race and letter Vettel stay right behind him or pass in the pits.
For Sure!!

ringo

LM10 wrote:
21 Oct 2018, 00:24
Phil wrote:
LM10 wrote:

I’m not sure about how to look at it. There are 2 options. Either it was a magical lap from Hamilton again with Ferrari still being close with both cars OR it was a “normal” lap from Hamilton with Ferrari only keeping it close because of that.

Taking in consideration that Lewis is in an exceptional and a better form than he’s been couple of months ago and also given the big gap to Bottas, I tend to go with first option.
Aslo Lewis says he hans't been getting the faster laps on the second Q3 run of late, and so he did very well to improve today with a faster 2nd run; therefore i would agree he did squeeze that one out. Ferrari looks to be in the better form for the race. I can image how good their race pace will be seeing the closeness in Qualy.
For Sure!!

Restomaniac

LM10 wrote:

Well if it’s not a second sensor then Ferrari have massively dropped the ball. Not sure why a Ferrari fan would find that funny. But Hey, ho.

Hamilton did a Hamilton looking at the average times between Ferrari and Mercedes.

LM10

Restomaniac wrote:
21 Oct 2018, 00:35
LM10 wrote:

Well if it’s not a second sensor then Ferrari have massively dropped the ball. Not sure why a Ferrari fan would find that funny. But Hey, ho.

Hamilton did a Hamilton looking at the average times between Ferrari and Mercedes.
The ball being dropped were the new updates which just had not worked and made both drivers struggle massively. They brought a big update to Austin and it seemed to have helped.

What I find funny is how all that drama about that mysterious second sensor was made.