2018 United States Grand Prix - Austin, 19-21 October

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
LM10

Re: 2018 United States Grand Prix - Austin, 19-21 October

Restomaniac wrote:
21 Oct 2018, 22:41
LM10 wrote:
21 Oct 2018, 22:39
Restomaniac wrote:
21 Oct 2018, 22:32

‘Maybe he couldn’t see me in his mirrors’. Sure he wasn’t #-o
Are you quoting from an article or actually watched a video?
He didn’t even blame him on radio. It was a racing incident. Neither of them really was more to blame. Vettel’s fault (again) was that he was not patient enough.
His own words in interview on SKY F1. So yes he was trying to blame Ricciardo.
How is it blaming to tell that he maybe didn’t see him in his mirrors? He wasn’t even being sarcastic. Wether he saw him in his mirrors or not, it was a racing incident and also Vettel is aware of that.

Maybe you should stop trying to heat things up. I don’t think it’s necessary again to write pages of to what extend it was Vettel’s fault. Be happy that your favorite driver is a step away to be crowned. And I’m happy that today was Kimi’s day.

turbof1

TAG wrote:
21 Oct 2018, 22:54
hollus wrote:
21 Oct 2018, 22:45
Was that a smile? An actual smile? On Kimi's face? Wow, just wow! 8)
I think I saw him actually raise both his hands up int the air on the podium. :)
Oh dear, we all know what that means: bring out the ice cream wagon and the Eristoff Wodka party set!
#AeroFrodo

Phil

Shrieker wrote:
Where they failed to get a hint strategy wise was when Hamilton on much better tires couldn't get past Kimi in the first stint. They should've opted for track position, which was possible by pitting the next lap after Kimi. Worst case they'd have retained 2nd and not fallen behind Max, which would've given Hamilton 34 laps to chase and pressure Kimi into an error - not that it looked like he'd have made one today.
To be honest, i think Mercedes had clearly worse tire deg, so in a straight fight, i think Hamilton would have struggled more than Kimi to make 34 laps work. Imagine the race with Verstappen coming behind with SS...

Wouldnt interpret too much on the performance of both teams, very limited FP running did give us a bit of a lottery.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Restomaniac

LM10 wrote:
21 Oct 2018, 23:01
Restomaniac wrote:
LM10 wrote:
21 Oct 2018, 22:39

Are you quoting from an article or actually watched a video?
He didn’t even blame him on radio. It was a racing incident. Neither of them really was more to blame. Vettel’s fault (again) was that he was not patient enough.
How is it blaming to tell that he maybe didn’t see him in his mirrors? He wasn’t even being sarcastic. Wether he saw him in his mirrors or not, it was a racing incident and also Vettel is aware of that.

Maybe you should stop trying to heat things up. I don’t think it’s necessary again to write pages of to what extend it was Vettel’s fault. Be happy that your favorite driver is a step away to be crowned. And I’m happy that today was Kimi’s day.
I have no favourite driver. I just like to see skill wether that be Vettel, Hamilton, Ricciardo, Verstappen, Raikkonen, etc.

I do however call it down the line. ‘maybe he didn’t see me in his mirrors’ hints at an error elsewhere. I would suggest Vettel stops looking elsewhere as HE and Ferrari’s utter failure in the best car has gifted Hamilton an easy WDC as much as anything.

Schuttelberg

It's amazing how much hatred some fans can manifest within them. I'm glad Lewis shows more respect than some of his fans. There's no good in kicking someone when they're down. Anyone, with one iota of racing sense will not call the incident between Vettel and Ricciardo as anyone's 'fault.'

Really enjoyed the race today. It's getting tough to swallow some of the results being a Vettel fan, but I can't help but admire Hamilton's level at the moment. The race pace from Vettel was absolutely blistering. How he beat Bottas after his collision is beyond me.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

JonoNic

Restomaniac wrote:
LM10 wrote:
Restomaniac wrote:

I have no favourite driver. I just like to see skill wether that be Vettel, Hamilton, Ricciardo, Verstappen, Raikkonen, etc.

I do however call it down the line. ‘maybe he didn’t see me in his mirrors’ hints at an error elsewhere. I would suggest Vettel stops looking elsewhere as HE and Ferrari’s utter failure in the best car has gifted Hamilton an easy WDC as much as anything.
In the same interview he said he was not happy with his own performance.
Always find the gap then use it.

saviour stivala

hollus wrote:
21 Oct 2018, 22:45
Was that a smile? An actual smile? On Kimi's face? Wow, just wow! 8)
Yes, I swear it was a smile, have seen it.

nevill3

I have just read that Ocon used too much fuel on the first lap so may be excluded
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

MtthsMlw

nevill3 wrote:
21 Oct 2018, 23:15
I have just read that Ocon used too much fuel on the first lap so may be excluded
Yes he's under investigation. Can't think of a similar incident to that in recent years?
Last edited by MtthsMlw on 21 Oct 2018, 23:20, edited 1 time in total.

Restomaniac

JonoNic wrote:
21 Oct 2018, 23:12
Restomaniac wrote:
LM10 wrote:

Indeed. But why mention mirrors? He needs to just own it.

He does have this annoying habit of snatching at situations and not always when he is chasing either. Singapore last year jumps to mind. He got a poor get away but still had to push his luck when he was actually ahead in the WDC standings.
Why risk it? Play the smart long game. For a 4 time WDC to still be making some fundamental mistakes is incredibly annoying.

Morteza

nevill3 wrote:
Magnussen too, but for another fuel-related problem
https://twitter.com/LukeSmithF1/status/ ... 32930?s=19
Last edited by Morteza on 21 Oct 2018, 23:29, edited 2 times in total.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

turbof1

Restomaniac wrote:
21 Oct 2018, 23:20
JonoNic wrote:
Restomaniac wrote:I have no favourite driver. I just like to see skill wether that be Vettel, Hamilton, Ricciardo, Verstappen, Raikkonen, etc.

He does have this annoying habit of snatching at situations and not always when he is chasing either. Singapore last year jumps to mind. He got a poor get away but still had to push his luck when he was actually ahead in the WDC standings.
Why risk it? Play the smart long game. For a 4 time WDC to still be making some fundamental mistakes is incredibly annoying.
I declare no fighting on the International Everybody Happy for Kimi Day. Cheer up, folks!
#AeroFrodo

nevill3

MtthsMlw wrote:
21 Oct 2018, 23:19
nevill3 wrote:
Yes he's under investigation. Can't think of a similar incident to that in recent years?
I think the last time was Redbull in the first race of the new hybrid era with the new fuel flow rates
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

Restomaniac

Anyone else notice how teams seem to have stopped giving a damn about TV cameras seeing body work? It’s almost like there is a massive reg change coming up or something. :lol:
Last edited by Restomaniac on 21 Oct 2018, 23:29, edited 1 time in total.

Restomaniac

turbof1 wrote:
21 Oct 2018, 23:23
Restomaniac wrote:
21 Oct 2018, 23:20
JonoNic wrote:

I declare no fighting on the International Everybody Happy for Kimi Day. Cheer up, folks!
I’m fine. I just find Vettels actions very annoying. He is better than that and he and Ferrari have robbed us of a fight to the finish in the last few races.

I’m made up for Kimi though. =D> :D