McLaren Speedtail

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
Fulcrum
Fulcrum

Re: McLaren Speedtail

Just_a_fan wrote:
27 Oct 2018, 09:38
Fulcrum wrote:
27 Oct 2018, 05:22
Prefaced with, "In my opinion!"

They probably did it to save weight, but that colour is so anti-supercar and anti-McLaren
I guess it's been chosen to allow the design to be seen. Cars are often shown in dramatic colours which can confuse some of the details. With this colour, you can see every surface, crease and opening.
A reasonable set of assumptions.

The problem, for me anyway, is this basically looks like an updated Jaguar XJ220, especially in this paint colour with those wheel rims.

jh199

Just_a_fan wrote:
27 Oct 2018, 09:36
jh199 wrote:
27 Oct 2018, 04:26
. But when are car companies going to get rid of the massive screen bezels!? Phones have been near bezel-less for years but automotive screens all seem to have 1-inch bezels on all side :roll:
Cars have to pass roll over tests and the screen is a structural item. There needs to be a sufficient joint between screen and frame to make it work.
If you don't mind me asking, what purpose will the screen serve, structurally, in a rollover? No load would be passing through the screen unless the entire roof has collapsed already in which case, its doubtful that a 1-inch bezel will make any difference.

Cold Fussion
Cold Fussion

Surely a miss-understanding. It's probably far more likely of just being another example of a car manufacturer being massively behind in computing technology.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

jh199 wrote:
27 Oct 2018, 16:11

If you don't mind me asking, what purpose will the screen serve, structurally, in a rollover? No load would be passing through the screen unless the entire roof has collapsed already in which case, its doubtful that a 1-inch bezel will make any difference.
The screen acts as a diaphragm to stiffen the whole arrangement.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

DiogoBrand

jh199 wrote:
27 Oct 2018, 16:11
Just_a_fan wrote:
27 Oct 2018, 09:36
jh199 wrote:
27 Oct 2018, 04:26
. But when are car companies going to get rid of the massive screen bezels!? Phones have been near bezel-less for years but automotive screens all seem to have 1-inch bezels on all side :roll:
Cars have to pass roll over tests and the screen is a structural item. There needs to be a sufficient joint between screen and frame to make it work.
I think there was a misunderstanding between "screen" and "window". Otherwise the statement about structure makes no sense.

Edax
Edax

Fulcrum wrote:
27 Oct 2018, 10:49
Just_a_fan wrote:
27 Oct 2018, 09:38
Fulcrum wrote:
27 Oct 2018, 05:22
Prefaced with, "In my opinion!"

They probably did it to save weight, but that colour is so anti-supercar and anti-McLaren
I guess it's been chosen to allow the design to be seen. Cars are often shown in dramatic colours which can confuse some of the details. With this colour, you can see every surface, crease and opening.
A reasonable set of assumptions.

The problem, for me anyway, is this basically looks like an updated Jaguar XJ220, especially in this paint colour with those wheel rims.
Very true.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

DiogoBrand wrote:
27 Oct 2018, 19:31

I think there was a misunderstanding between "screen" and "window". Otherwise the statement about structure makes no sense.
Ah, yes. I took it to be the shorthand for "windscreen". If he meant something else then my comments are irrelevant. :oops:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

DiogoBrand

Just_a_fan wrote:
27 Oct 2018, 20:14
DiogoBrand wrote:

Ah, yes. I took it to be the shorthand for "windscreen". If he meant something else then my comments are irrelevant. :oops:
He was talking about the edges of the dashboard screens, and how with today's technology they shouldn't have such wide bezels.

jh199

DiogoBrand wrote:
27 Oct 2018, 20:19
Just_a_fan wrote:
27 Oct 2018, 20:14
DiogoBrand wrote:

He was talking about the edges of the dashboard screens, and how with today's technology they shouldn't have such wide bezels.
Exactly! But speaking about windscreens, the self-tinting upper edge of the windscreen is pretty cool. It's about time someone replaces those old-fashioned sun visors with modern technology

FrukostScones

everytime when a Spyker and VW XL1 mate a McLaren Speedtail is born.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

molina
molina

The Mercedes Project One looks more like a revived F1 than this.

Any way, this thing looks awesome. It's just, it's not an F1.

flmkane
flmkane

It's a boring car. I'd rather buy a miata.

digitalrurouni
digitalrurouni

When I first saw it I was like eww. But now it's really grown on me. The Carfection video done in 4k of the walkthrough of this car is quite stunning. Well done McLaren. But still it seems like they could have done a bit more to beat the Koenigsegg. Really drives the point home how good those Swedish blokes are!!!!

zac510
zac510

Only just noticed this car today. I love it, it's both attractive and unique in its market segment. I even love the front wheels and the way they represent how McLaren have really not followed the current trends building this thing.

I really didn't think McLaren had it in them to make something like this. Previously they seemed just too focussed on competing with Ferrari and Porsche. This is just in a whole new category.

By far the most beautiful, interesting and progressive McLaren since the F1.

Maritimer
Maritimer

Looks too much like the Regera