2018 FIM Moto GP World Championship

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
J.A.W.

Re: 2018 FIM Moto GP World Championship

Phillip Island provided Yamaha's 1st win this season - when Vinales took victory in the Australian G.P..

Albeit this was only after Yamaha rider Zarco rammed M.M. out of the race in a wild high-speed incident,
(fortunately both were unhurt).

Iannone also had a win Suzuki win in prospect, but lost time battling with Dovi, so they finished 2nd & 3rd..
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

digitalrurouni

I don't think even if the Zarco/Marc clash had not happened that Marc would have been able to take the win. Good race though. Great to see Maverick back on top. Yamaha really needed that shot in the arm as did Maverick for his confidence. Bring on Sepang! Probably my favorite track on the calendar along with Brno.

NathanOlder

Zarco certainly didnt ram MM as you put it JAW. They were both very unlucky, their lines crossed, Zarco was very lucky to not get hurt.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

J.A.W.

NathanOlder wrote:
30 Oct 2018, 22:14
Zarco certainly didnt ram MM as you put it JAW. They were both very unlucky, their lines crossed, Zarco was very lucky to not get hurt.
Ram, bunt, rear-ender... call it what you will Nathan, but Zarco certainly ran into the back of M.M.'s Honda.
& it was hard enough to wreck both bikes, likely only M.M.'s cat-like responses saved him from crashing - too.

None of the factory supported Hondas completed the race, so giving Yamaha - a much better chance to win.

NathanOlder

I still wouldnt say Zarco rear ended him as you are suggesting, If you watch it from the helicopter
https://youtu.be/xrk_7p_kmWo?t=125
Then you can see Marquez on the tighter line and Zarco's front wheel overlapped Marquez rear wheel by maybe an inch as Marquez returned to the racing line. Rear ending someone is surely running in deep and hitting them , I'm not blaming Marquez at all, but I dont think Zarco is to blame either, it was just an unfortunate event that happened.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

GPR-A

NathanOlder wrote:
31 Oct 2018, 09:54
I still wouldnt say Zarco rear ended him as you are suggesting, If you watch it from the helicopter
Then you can see Marquez on the tighter line and Zarco's front wheel overlapped Marquez rear wheel by maybe an inch as Marquez returned to the racing line. Rear ending someone is surely running in deep and hitting them , I'm not blaming Marquez at all, but I dont think Zarco is to blame either, it was just an unfortunate event that happened.
I think it's Marquez's fault there. He cut back on racing line too early and Zarco didn't anticipate it. Marquez's immediate reaction tells that, he felt guilty of that crash.

NathanOlder

GPR -A wrote:
31 Oct 2018, 10:49
NathanOlder wrote:
31 Oct 2018, 09:54
I think it's Marquez's fault there. He cut back on racing line too early and Zarco didn't anticipate it. Marquez's immediate reaction tells that, he felt guilty of that crash.
I dont really like Marquez, so its easy for me to blame him, but I feel neither were to blame, but it certainly wasn't Zarco rear ending or ramming Marquez like J.A.W was saying.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

digitalrurouni

It was simply a racing incident. Zarco got the draft from 2 machines in front and got sucked in quicker and Marc moved in order to prep for his corner entry. Simple as that. Racing incident. Glad both riders are safe. Zarco's bike could have hit someone and Zarco himself could have gotten seriously hurt if he didn't slide down the grass and instead went a few inches to the right on to the gravel!

GPR-A

So the old man couldn't hold it together when the champ came behind, while the champ himself displayed his trade mark "cat quick save"! Yamaha would have been delighted for back to back wins and a great resurgence story, but the old man couldn't join the party.

J.A.W.

GPR -A wrote:
04 Nov 2018, 16:32
So the old man couldn't hold it together when the champ came behind, while the champ himself displayed his trade mark "cat quick save"! Yamaha would have been delighted for back to back wins and a great resurgence story, but the old man couldn't join the party.
Sad, but true...

Rossi would've been real keen to win, both to emulate his team mate's effort from last week,
& gain a victory on the same track where he'd ( accidentally) fatally struck his buddy, Marco Simoncelli.

Rossi had a golden opportunity too, with a holeshot from the front row, & established a commanding lead,
but once M.M. started his relentless application of 'the crush' - the old man found he could not match
M.M,'s 'cat quick' reaction speed - & went down trying to stay ahead, in a situation M.M. - can handle.

Back in the day, Rossi would've likely 'duked it out' with M.M. in a 'dicing' contest, where his repertoire
of tricks could be brought to bear, but we missed out on that, & the race became a 'slam dunk' due to
Rossi's 'unforced error', instead... it was an anti-climax, & a bit of a pity really.

I find it kind of sad, in a way.. Rossi, if he'd won - could've retired gracefully with a victory to his credit,
but IMO, he is poignantly showing what 'faded glory' really looks like, & why ego is no substitute for ability.

turbof1

To be fair, Marquez is really in a world of his own. He fell off his bike in the past so many times that he now has the reflexes and ability to catch it before he is on the ground. Together with that agressive drivestyle it probably makes him one of the most, if not the most, unique riders in history.

I think Rossi did show he can still win races. He doesn't have cat like reflexes like Marquez has, but he does show he can do a high and consistent pace. That's also important.
#AeroFrodo

NathanOlder

I was so gutted we didn't get the full race between the 2. But I think Rossi had it. After the race Marc said he had nothing more and his rear tyre was shot. I did admire the consistency of Rossi before he fell, every lap (other than lap1) was within 2 tenths. Marquez was the one making the mistakes and running wide at T9 and scaring Iannone off the bike :lol:

Big shame but it looks like Yamaha are heading the right way for 2019. And Suzuki look they could be in the mix regularly next season so would be 4 manufacturers and possibly 2/3 satelites teams fighting for wins each race.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

turbof1

NathanOlder wrote:
05 Nov 2018, 09:32
Marquez was the one making the mistakes and running wide at T9 and scaring Iannone off the bike :lol:
I spat out my coffee when I saw that :lol: .

https://www.motorcyclesports.net/motogp ... s-a-crash/

Interesting to see Marquez actually had a much bigger swipe of the bike than Iannone had. Marquez was all over the place while Iannone... well it looks like he just fell off the bike!
#AeroFrodo

NathanOlder

Yeah, I think Dovi probably did the same (think it was Dovi just behind the 2)
That last corner must be so bad for the bikes with it being negative camber!
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

turbof1

Davide Brivio's facepalm was telling. "Oh common mate, really?"
#AeroFrodo