2018 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Tag Heuer (Renault)

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Laserguru

Re: 2018 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Tag Heuer (Renault)

nzjrs wrote:
04 Nov 2018, 14:01
jz11 wrote:
03 Nov 2018, 23:25
20:28 Max: check my engine, if you need to turn it down, turn it down
20:30 Max: again, if you need to turn it down, please do it
pit: understood
[there are no instructions for changes to be done to the steering wheel in during this time
(at least not made available to public), except something regarding "reverse off" when VSC period is about to end,
might be related to battery charging, but not sure]
22:08 pit: we have now turned the engine down, for reference
the very same recording does contain few instructions regarding changes to the engine settings from the steering wheel, but during those 2 minutes, where Max asked pits to turn it down, there was nothing, and the ending of message from 22:08 "for reference" - that indicates that something was done, and pits are informing driver, because if driver would have received instructions to switch some fuel/ignition maps etc, then why does the message sound like they have done it from the pits
It's grammatically plausible that 'for reference' could be to reassure Max that settings changes *max made*, prior to 20:28, had already turned the engine down.
I posted the timestamp when he was instructed to change his engine mapping in between the two timestamps you mention. Do you doubt this was for turning the engine down or do you prefer to neglect the instruction he was given? Fuel 4 position 2 at 21:36 https://m.soundcloud.com/matt-betros/ma ... an-gp-2018. That is after he asked twice to turn the engine down and before the confirmation that the engine was turned down.
Engineering thrives on communication. Jus soli defending WDC, love and merchandise McLaren, passion and inspiration Ferrari. Open wheel car racing and karting addict.

subcritical71

So it could have been a confirmation, based on telemetry, that the engine was turned down by the driver as instructed

jz11

I listened to that radio recording 3 times, and I swear I didn't notice that instruction at around 21:36... developing selective hearing I guess :oops:

nzjrs

Laserguru wrote:
05 Nov 2018, 01:19
nzjrs wrote:
jz11 wrote:
03 Nov 2018, 23:25

the very same recording does contain few instructions regarding changes to the engine settings from the steering wheel, but during those 2 minutes, where Max asked pits to turn it down, there was nothing, and the ending of message from 22:08 "for reference" - that indicates that something was done, and pits are informing driver, because if driver would have received instructions to switch some fuel/ignition maps etc, then why does the message sound like they have done it from the pits
It's grammatically plausible that 'for reference' could be to reassure Max that settings changes *max made*, prior to 20:28, had already turned the engine down.
I posted the timestamp when he was instructed to change his engine mapping in between the two timestamps you mention. Do you doubt this was for turning the engine down or do you prefer to neglect the instruction he was given? Fuel 4 position 2 at 21:36 https://m.soundcloud.com/matt-betros/ma ... an-gp-2018. That is after he asked twice to turn the engine down and before the confirmation that the engine was turned down.
Calm the f down. I was agreeing that the sentence could be grammatically interpreted as confirming to the driver changes they made had such an effect, and not as an instruction from pit wall that the engine had been turned now remotely.

Wouter

The father of Max, Jos, was asked in front of the camera if Max himself had turned down the engine, because it sounded on the board radio as if the team (WE) had done it. He then answered the same as @NL_Fer has placed here.
ONLY THE DRIVER (Max) CAN turn down the engine.

by NL_Fer » 02 Nov 2018, 21:15
Max: Save the engine
Engineer: Mode 6 setting 11 dial 4 etc

Max turns prescribed settings.
Engineer checks telemetry on powerunit behaviour, sees temps/knocking/pressure ease off.

Engineer: Engine is turned down

The engineers answer is a response that telemetry shows that Max dialed the correct settings.
Last edited by Wouter on 05 Nov 2018, 14:10, edited 1 time in total.
The Power of Dreams!

Wouter

Red Bull/Honda get ExxonMobil fuel boost for F1 2019 preparations

Red Bull's hopes of progress with Honda in 2019 have been boosted by Formula 1 fuel supplier ExxonMobil saying it is in the best position it has been for years.

ExxonMobil's global motorsports technology manager David Tsurusaki told Autosport: "When we had this announcement with Honda and Toro Rosso last year, it meant only getting ready for Barcelona testing in December - which was a short timeline."

"But now, after a year of continuous change, adjustments and testing, we have already been working on 2019 - which is really where you want to be."

"You don't want to be doing all your upgrades and preparations during the year, and then at the end of it start working on 2019. You want to be working on 2019 pretty early."

"So the fact we've had the chance to work with the Honda guys again, get comfortable with them, get things rolling, get testing going and then start working on the single cylinder already with the full V6 durability tests now, it is exactly where we want to be."

"We are pretty excited. We are in a good position and think they have the right fuel and the right lubricants ready for 2019."
The Power of Dreams!

Laserguru

nzjrs wrote:
05 Nov 2018, 10:01
Laserguru wrote:
05 Nov 2018, 01:19
nzjrs wrote:

Calm the f down. I was agreeing that the sentence could be grammatically interpreted as confirming to the driver changes they made had such an effect, and not as an instruction from pit wall that the engine had been turned now remotely.
My mistake, missed that #-o. Didn’t realize it would upset you either as I intended to reply to jz11’ remark not yours. I’ll keep the f for my own guilty pleasures though.

Either way it would be interesting to know what fuel 4 position 2 means with respect to the power unit.
Last edited by Laserguru on 05 Nov 2018, 20:28, edited 2 times in total.
Engineering thrives on communication. Jus soli defending WDC, love and merchandise McLaren, passion and inspiration Ferrari. Open wheel car racing and karting addict.

Laserguru

jz11 wrote:
05 Nov 2018, 09:43
I listened to that radio recording 3 times, and I swear I didn't notice that instruction at around 21:36... developing selective hearing I guess :oops:
As I just got rewarded for selective reading :D we have proven we are human.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Godius

Looking forward to his comments about the power difference of the Renault v. Honda engine after his test in the RB14 today.

McG

Godius wrote:
28 Nov 2018, 12:34
Looking forward to his comments about the power difference of the Renault v. Honda engine after his test in the RB14 today.
You can't be serious. It has all been PR BS since Honda joined STR, and it will continue to be like that.
F1 is dead.

lio007

In the 2019 Entry list the engine is no more called "Tag Heuer" but Honda!
https://www.fia.com/events/fia-formula- ... ship-entry

HPD

lio007 wrote:
01 Dec 2018, 11:30
Yes, the name of the engine was widely discussed between the two parties. It was one of Honda demands for the new association

Godius

HPD wrote:
01 Dec 2018, 12:55
lio007 wrote:
01 Dec 2018, 11:30
Yes, the name of the engine was widely discussed between the two parties. It was one of Honda demands for the new association
It is also a showing of goodwill from Honda that they did not make a fuss about the RB team name that still will contain Aston Martin. The only Honda car that can be seen as a direct competitor is the NSX but still there is some competition.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare