Formula E: BBC to broadcast electric road races for first time

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...

Big Tea

Re: Formula E: BBC to broadcast electric road races for first time

marmer wrote:
13 Nov 2018, 17:44
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/motorsport/46191581

new coverage details for formula e
Its good that its on the Beeb, but I can no help but feel sorry for the minor broadcaster who has been covering it up until now, Even though I used to get ratty trying to find where and when to watch it
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

jjn9128

Big Tea wrote:
13 Nov 2018, 18:03
marmer wrote:

Its good that its on the Beeb, but I can no help but feel sorry for the minor broadcaster who has been covering it up until now, Even though I used to get ratty trying to find where and when to watch it
It's not going to be on TV - only on their online services which is a flipping joke. At least with channel 5 it was on one of their broadcast channels, even if you had to do a little searching. I think the youtube channel is also opened up the UK now though.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

marmer

jjn9128 wrote:
13 Nov 2018, 18:11
Big Tea wrote:
marmer wrote:

It's not going to be on TV - only on their online services which is a flipping joke. At least with channel 5 it was on one of their broadcast channels, even if you had to do a little searching. I think the youtube channel is also opened up the UK now though.
Red button is kind of tv although last time I used it the quality was awful

Big Tea

jjn9128 wrote:
13 Nov 2018, 18:11
Big Tea wrote:
marmer wrote:

I can not watch 'red button content' on my computer for some reason. I can only get it networked from the FVP 4000 T downstairs, and then only if it is the selected channel or I have to wait until the recording has finished.

I prefer if it is available on line.

jjn9128

Big Tea wrote:
13 Nov 2018, 21:10
I can not watch 'red button content' on my computer for some reason. I can only get it networked from the FVP 4000 T downstairs, and then only if it is the selected channel or I have to wait until the recording has finished.

Youtube may be your best option then. I'm not sure about that particular set top box, but a quick google show it has an ethernet port - so I assume you can connect to some apps. In which case the BBC sport app is an option.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Big Tea

jjn9128 wrote:
13 Nov 2018, 21:29
Big Tea wrote:
13 Nov 2018, 21:10

Youtube may be your best option then. I'm not sure about that particular set top box, but a quick google show it has an ethernet port - so I assume you can connect to some apps. In which case the BBC sport app is an option.
Thanks. I mean the other way around in that I can not 'send' red button content to my PC, I can stream ok.
I do not have an Ariel or dish connection on by bedroom where the computer is, but probably worth getting one done.

Does the sport app have red button option? Just had a quick look around and do not see it.

jjn9128

Big Tea wrote:
13 Nov 2018, 21:31
Thanks. I mean the other way around in that I can not 'send' red button content to my PC, I can stream ok.
I do not have an Ariel or dish connection on by bedroom where the computer is, but probably worth getting one done.

Does the sport app have red button option? Just had a quick look around and do not see it.
Looking into that box it seems quite cool - you can use the wifi to send TV around the house so you don't need aerials everywhere!?

As far as I remember the sport app has a "live" section so you can see what's on right now. Then it should have a "motorsport" tab where you can catch up. These apps are different on every platform and are probably really old and poorly optimized. Last time I used it was watching squash at the commonwealth games and it was super glitchy - but that could be our internet supply.
#aerogandalf

Big Tea

jjn9128 wrote:
13 Nov 2018, 21:42
Big Tea wrote:
13 Nov 2018, 21:31

Looking into that box it seems quite cool - you can use the wifi to send TV around the house so you don't need aerials everywhere!?

As far as I remember the sport app has a "live" section so you can see what's on right now. Then it should have a "motorsport" tab where you can catch up. These apps are different on every platform and are probably really old and poorly optimized. Last time I used it was watching squash at the commonwealth games and it was super glitchy - but that could be our internet supply.
Thanks. I will have to spend some time playing with it. I did try some time ago as I wanted to use a different audio channel, but it was some time ago so will try again. Thanks.

Rodak

Okay, I bit. Went to the YouTube channel and watched a race. Bored out of my mind; street circuits, no speed, processional, meh; I'll give it a pass. When electrics can race on actual circuits for more than 15 minutes I might be back, but energy density is lacking battery/petrol. Lots of work to do for this to work; manufacturers are signing up because it's cheap and sounds eco-friendly. Allow actual development of the technical bits by teams and they might have something.

NathanOlder

I hate the BBC so much, they pass up of decent sports to save money, and keep the --- that no one wants to watch! And now they have Formula E on the red button! Means it will be --- picture quality and you cant record it. SO when the races are on early in the morning or overlap another sporting event, it will be a pain.

I have to say it was a pain last season to find it as it was on Channel 5, Btsport, ITV and it was hard to find it at times.

Damn you BBC
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

jjn9128

Rodak wrote:
14 Nov 2018, 03:47
Okay, I bit. Went to the YouTube channel and watched a race. Bored out of my mind; street circuits, no speed, processional, meh; I'll give it a pass. When electrics can race on actual circuits for more than 15 minutes I might be back, but energy density is lacking battery/petrol. Lots of work to do for this to work; manufacturers are signing up because it's cheap and sounds eco-friendly. Allow actual development of the technical bits by teams and they might have something.
Firstly there's a whole thread full of hatred for Formula E - this thread is for hating on the BBC broadcast deal.

Secondly, which race did you watch??? Most FE races have more action than half a season of F1. I'd watch a Season 1 race then a Season 4 race and you'll see just how far the technology has progressed (the whole powertrain is develop-able, just not aero or battery). The USP of FE is that it goes to the city centres - i.e. they will never race on purpose built circuits. F1 is copying this to some extent - see Bratches and Carey's comments on the Vietnam deal - in 5/10 years I expect Spa, Monza, and the Bahrain/UAE tracks to be the only "proper" circuits on the F1 calendar.
#aerogandalf