2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
marmer

Re: 2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

Some just don't want to admit gas was in the wrong to refuse a perfectly understandable team order yes hindsight it's was pointless but Ferrari would be world champions and McLaren wouldn't be rubbish with hindsight

towncaptain

Have any of you seen this?

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/hond ... t/3213034/

Im sure this will mean huge improvements to Honda's turbos now that they have a proper joint partnership rather than IHI just being a supplier.

techman

TR biggest problem is that they rarely use the high downforce rear wing. They had good race pace in mexico because they used it and they brought the other spoon wing for japan and brazil. For me its the wrong wing. you need traction off slow corners and that spoon wing cannot get the traction. I just hope TR bring the high dowforce rear wing to Abu Dhabi. If they dont expect TR to again struggle in race.

Steven
Owner

techman wrote:
15 Nov 2018, 10:02
TR biggest problem is that they rarely use the high downforce rear wing. They had good race pace in mexico because they used it and they brought the other spoon wing for japan and brazil. For me its the wrong wing. you need traction off slow corners and that spoon wing cannot get the traction. I just hope TR bring the high dowforce rear wing to Abu Dhabi. If they dont expect TR to again struggle in race.
F1 Teams do simulations, endless iterations, with much more data than we have. If not the optimal package already, they are perhaps slightly comprimising, either to help overtaking, or to cover some of Honda's power deficit (which I understand is decreasing).

Bill

Str is terrible car in the high speed corners the aero is not good , no you can't bring high downforce wing to a medium downforce track that's foolish. They will perform better in abudhabi which is a point and shot track similar to Bahrain,Honda power unit is great .6 tenth better than Renault and a tenth slower than merc

techman

well let see . i checked last year in abu dhabi they were running the high downforce wing. hopefully they bring it again. in both brazil and japan. the traction off slow corners were terrible. thats where redbull and even renault excel. having to run a high downforce wing over that spoon wing only brings marginally reduced top speed. in japan and brazil both cases TR has bad exist speeds to the long straight because of lack of traction. which mean if any team is behind the TR in DRS , it easy to overtake. anyway its only a few months before honda gets a proper chassis and i cant wait

Godius

marmer wrote:
14 Nov 2018, 13:05
Some just don't want to admit gas was in the wrong to refuse a perfectly understandable team order yes hindsight it's was pointless but Ferrari would be world champions and McLaren wouldn't be rubbish with hindsight
Yes there are suddenly a lot of those on the forum lately. It is not the end of the world of course, these are learning points for the drivers. After Singapore 2015 I believe Verstappen and Marko had a good conversation about it and at RBR Verstappen obeyed driver swap orders with Ricciardo in 2016 and onwards.

sn809

Godius wrote:
15 Nov 2018, 12:05
marmer wrote:
14 Nov 2018, 13:05
Yes there are suddenly a lot of those on the forum lately. It is not the end of the world of course, these are learning points for the drivers. After Singapore 2015 I believe Verstappen and Marko had a good conversation about it and at RBR Verstappen obeyed driver swap orders with Ricciardo in 2016 and onwards.
Exactly "an eye for an eye"
Oh no sorry wrong quote that was for what Ocon should have done to Max.

"You help me out and I will help you" When Hartley moved over for Gas he should reciprocate specially as Gas was not in the points. What Gasly ignored was fighting him would leave Hartley with crap tyres.

Wouter

It was said that Alexander Albon teared up his 3 year contract with Nissan e.dams in the FE.

The teamboss confirmed this, so he could move to STR.

However. The FIA entry list for 2018/2019 FE shows that Buemi and Albon have signed voor next season.

Who is driving for STR next year? Hartley, Sirotkin maybe?
The Power of Dreams!

ispano6

Ticktum is too immature for a race seat according to Horner and there's no way he will be a race driver for any F1 team next year.

Hartley has been claiming he has a valid contract for next year. He may end up being the reserve driver, or maybe Albon will be.

After seeing Jenson Button and Naoki Yamamoto win the SuperGT championship this year and JB's glowing praise of Yamamoto, I'm sure it's in the minds of Honda to give him an F1 test if he has enough points from Super Gt and Super Formula etc. That guy is humble and quick, not to mention the right size.

gshevlin

It is my belief that Toro Rosso has a contract with Brendon Hartley for next season. They would have had to buy that contract out from Ganassi Racing, who had in turn bought it from Porsche in the late summer of 2017, since Hartley was on a long-term contract with Porsche when they decided to withdraw from the WEC. Franz Tost admitted to "long" discussions (translation: tough negotiations) with Ganassi last year before they could sign Hartley. Ganassi signs drivers to 2 or 3 year contracts in Indycar (although Chip Ganassi never fails to give an underperforming driver the big hook. Ask Ed Jones).
So, if they want to dump Hartley, they either have to buy out his contract, or they have to place him in another series.
However, there are limited options for another series, especially with LMP1 being dead on its feet. And...Red Bull have badly mis-managed their Young Driver program for years now. They keep dumping drivers, then seeing them succeed elsewhere. Right now, the buzz was that Alexander Albon was top of their list for 2019, but they dropped him a while back from the Young Driver program, and he signed with Nissan, who funded his F2 program this season in return for owning his medium-term rights for Formula E.
On a broader front, there are actually very few drivers not already in F1 full-time who have enough Superlicense points to be able to race in F1. Hartley is one of a small number of drivers with that qualification.
So, the fact that Alexander Albon is still being listed as a Nissan Formula E driver tells me that no deal has been done yet for him to move anywhere else. And I think it is likely that he will not move anywhere else. Red Bull would have to (a) buy out Brendon Hartley, and (b) pay compensation to Nissan.

G'dayBruce

gshevlin wrote:
17 Nov 2018, 02:43
It is my belief that Toro Rosso has a contract with Brendon Hartley for next season. They would have had to buy that contract out from Ganassi Racing, who had in turn bought it from Porsche in the late summer of 2017, since Hartley was on a long-term contract with Porsche when they decided to withdraw from the WEC. Franz Tost admitted to "long" discussions (translation: tough negotiations) with Ganassi last year before they could sign Hartley. Ganassi signs drivers to 2 or 3 year contracts in Indycar (although Chip Ganassi never fails to give an underperforming driver the big hook. Ask Ed Jones).
So, if they want to dump Hartley, they either have to buy out his contract, or they have to place him in another series.
However, there are limited options for another series, especially with LMP1 being dead on its feet. And...Red Bull have badly mis-managed their Young Driver program for years now. They keep dumping drivers, then seeing them succeed elsewhere. Right now, the buzz was that Alexander Albon was top of their list for 2019, but they dropped him a while back from the Young Driver program, and he signed with Nissan, who funded his F2 program this season in return for owning his medium-term rights for Formula E.
On a broader front, there are actually very few drivers not already in F1 full-time who have enough Superlicense points to be able to race in F1. Hartley is one of a small number of drivers with that qualification.
So, the fact that Alexander Albon is still being listed as a Nissan Formula E driver tells me that no deal has been done yet for him to move anywhere else. And I think it is likely that he will not move anywhere else. Red Bull would have to (a) buy out Brendon Hartley, and (b) pay compensation to Nissan.
Good thoughtful post and you've probably hit the nail on the head. Another year, or part there of, with Hartley wouldn't be a bad thing. Would be good for team stability to carry over one driver, make a good yardstick to compare the Russian, plus he's often referred to as a good car/engine development driver. Has had more than his fair share of bad luck this year...If he can get that monkey off his back, nail qualifying and starts a bit better, he'd be ok.

McMika98

Hartley isnt going to get quicker. His racepace is okish but racecraft lacking, bodes well in endurance racing not F1. Fact is he hasnt delivered, even Lance has more points than him.
Albon will prolly be announced next week and run the post season testing with Kvyat. The list was sent to FIA in Oct, since then even Nissan admitted to releasing Albon and taking offers from drivers. Also Nissan didnt fund his F2 season, he had to secure funding from his Thai backers and was kept on a race by race basis. They didnt drop him because of the early results. Given the lack of support he has done very well to be in a his position. He has potential to develop unlike Hartley and its time F1 gets new pool of talent.

Big Tea

If, and it is an if, as I have no real idea, Hartley is a good guy to set the car up it could be well worth their while keeping him on even if he is not delivering on race day as his input would feed 3 other cars.
There will be big aero differences between STR and RBR but also a lot of crossover. A 'new' driver to STR and to F1 could find a tough job getting the best from the car early on so a little help would go a long way. He does seem the sort of guy who does not mind passing on information too.

He is also a likable sort so probably performs well in the PR role.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.