2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
gdanielwesley

Re: 2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

Big Tea wrote:If, and it is an if, as I have no real idea, Hartley is a good guy to set the car up it could be well worth their while keeping him on even if he is not delivering on race day as his input would feed 3 other cars.
There will be big aero differences between STR and RBR but also a lot of crossover. A 'new' driver to STR and to F1 could find a tough job getting the best from the car early on so a little help would go a long way. He does seem the sort of guy who does not mind passing on information too.

He is also a likable sort so probably performs well in the PR role.
So..have they dropped the plan to get Kvyat?

Ground Effect

I think Hartley is as good as out, I can't see him surviving amid all the Albon links and speculation. At the end of the day, you look at the points table, qualifying results etc and they don't compliment him too much. Being a nice guy in F1 doesn't help much, look at Stoffel. I like Hartley and wouldn't mind if he stays. But at 28-29, he needed to nail it with STR, but he had lots of bad luck and below par performances. Albon, Kvyat also have to deliver in 2019, because I have a feeling someone will make way for Ticktum eventually.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

gshevlin

When a driver as good as Sebastien Bourdais gets dicked around and ultimately dropped by Toro Rosso (and remember that he threatened to sue the team for dropping him and they paid him compensation to head off legal action), you know you are dealing with a team whose driver management skills are mediocre at best. The fiasco with Pierre Gasly ignoring team orders in Brazil is just the latest indication. I stand by my earlier comment that the common link in all of the churn is Franz Tost.
Next year's Toro Rosso will apparently use the entire rear end of the 2019 Red Bull car, and as many listed parts from Red Bull as are legally allowed. The Haas-Ferrari model. This explains why James Key quit. He wants to design a whole car, not optimize aero. It will be a return (sort of) to the 2008-2009 period, where Toro Rosso won its only race, using a clone of the Red Bull chassis adapted for the Ferrari engine, before other teams ended the customer car drift by pointing out that it violated the Concorde Agreement.
With another rookie (Albon) and a driver returning after 1 season away (Kvyat), the sorting of the 2019 Toro Rosso might just be more protracted. My view of Kvyat is that he was fast but very erratic.
As for drivers...I feel we are nearing a tipping point in the driver world, where Formula E may soon become more attractive to drivers than Formula 1. There are more seats in Formula E that do not require drivers to show up with half of the GDP of a small country to fund their entry.

marmer

gshevlin wrote:
17 Nov 2018, 14:55
When a driver as good as Sebastien Bourdais gets dicked around and ultimately dropped by Toro Rosso (and remember that he threatened to sue the team for dropping him and they paid him compensation to head off legal action), you know you are dealing with a team whose driver management skills are mediocre at best. The fiasco with Pierre Gasly ignoring team orders in Brazil is just the latest indication. I stand by my earlier comment that the common link in all of the churn is Franz Tost.
Next year's Toro Rosso will apparently use the entire rear end of the 2019 Red Bull car, and as many listed parts from Red Bull as are legally allowed. The Haas-Ferrari model. This explains why James Key quit. He wants to design a whole car, not optimize aero. It will be a return (sort of) to the 2008-2009 period, where Toro Rosso won its only race, using a clone of the Red Bull chassis adapted for the Ferrari engine, before other teams ended the customer car drift by pointing out that it violated the Concorde Agreement.
With another rookie (Albon) and a driver returning after 1 season away (Kvyat), the sorting of the 2019 Toro Rosso might just be more protracted. My view of Kvyat is that he was fast but very erratic.
As for drivers...I feel we are nearing a tipping point in the driver world, where Formula E may soon become more attractive to drivers than Formula 1. There are more seats in Formula E that do not require drivers to show up with half of the GDP of a small country to fund their entry.
Sebastien Bourdais did nothing in his time in f1

08 was well beaten by Vettel in the same car ok you could say Vettel had more experience but still the gap was huge.
09 he was matched by buemi until he was dropped

lets not forget he also had far more race experience than any of his f1 teammates being 8 years older than seb and 9 more than buemi

ispano6

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/hond ... o/3214597/

Like I had mentioned, looks like Yamamoto Masashi thinks the same! So Jenson can now show Naoki some tips for F1! Hopefully Honda can arrange a test outing with STR. I'm sure Honda would want their drivers in a race seat, let's see how he stacks up. We already know he struggled against Gasly but found his form again. Awesome that he got his required super license points!

sn809

"From Motorsport.com Jorda will represent Nissan e.dams alongside Sebastien Buemi, while Alexander Albon is again named on the test entry list for the Ad Diriyah test.

Motorsport.com understands that he is set to be replaced in the team’s race line-up by Oliver Rowland as Albon closes on a Toro Rosso Formula 1 seat for 2019."

https://www.motorsport.com/formula-e/ne ... p/4300606/

So Hartley may be out unfortunately.

adrianjordan

gshevlin wrote:
17 Nov 2018, 14:55
With Formula E to be shown on BBC in the UK, I will certainly be watching it with interest. It's entirely possible it replaces F1 in my viewing habits in the future, all depends on how long Channel 4 keep showing F1. I refuse to pay Sky's extortionate prices to watch something that used to be free to watch.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

techman

finally from the pics i saw today , they brought back the high downforce wing. which is the correct wing for this circuit. i am guessing we could see much better performance that when they used that spoon wing.

search

any idea if Toro Rosso is running with the old engine again today?

techman

that what i thougt. interesting to see if its the spec 2 engine or 3 running

Jaisonas

Thats what they did in the previous races at least, use the old engine in practice.

ME4ME

Gasly.. this guy isn't ready for a top team.

BrunoH

i dont understand how they dont get Felix da Costa, a 2 time Macau f3 winner...

towncaptain

Both cars eliminated in Q1. Gasly lost power in the last corner after his car hit a bump, reminiscent of the race in Australia.

etusch

ME4ME wrote:
24 Nov 2018, 13:22
Gasly.. this guy isn't ready for a top team.
I also started to suspect his ability (or Has he got character of champ) after last few races. even if it is just a lost of concentration. it is not good
Last edited by etusch on 24 Nov 2018, 17:31, edited 1 time in total.