Aston Martin Red Bull Racing TAG Heuer RB14

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Webber2011

Re: Aston Martin Red Bull Racing TAG Heuer RB14

MtthsMlw wrote:
15 Nov 2018, 19:39
Webber2011 wrote:
15 Nov 2018, 19:04
wesley123 wrote:
15 Nov 2018, 12:43
There is a radius that was increased with the 2017 ruleset, this allows for more aggressive shapes at the start of the floor.
Isn't this radius the exact part of the car that haas had problems with ?
No that was at the t-tray section.
Ahh, OK mate, thanks 👍

CLKGTR

Sorry for posting this in RB14 thread, but I didn't find RB8 thread...

Red Bull RB8 rear end from Zandvoort demo in super hi res (6058 x 3791 px, open in a new tab) [Edited: not RB7, it is RB8, thanks Dippesh1995].

Last edited by CLKGTR on 20 Nov 2018, 14:50, edited 1 time in total.

Dipesh1995

CLKGTR wrote:
20 Nov 2018, 12:02
Sorry for posting this in RB14 thread, but I didn't find RB7 thread...

Red Bull RB7 rear end from Zandvoort demo in super hi res (6058 x 3791 px, open in a new tab)

Exhausts are modified to improve cooling and reliability I guess... no pipes in the floor as on original RB7. They run it in that configuration for all demo runs.

https://maxf1.net/wp-content/uploads/20 ... d-Bull.jpg
Pretty sure that’s the RB8 with the Coanda exhaust and ramp. Might be wrong though.

bosyber

Dipesh1995 wrote:
20 Nov 2018, 12:54
CLKGTR wrote:
20 Nov 2018, 12:02
Sorry for posting this in RB14 thread, but I didn't find RB7 thread...

Red Bull RB7 rear end from Zandvoort demo in super hi res (6058 x 3791 px, open in a new tab)

Exhausts are modified to improve cooling and reliability I guess... no pipes in the floor as on original RB7. They run it in that configuration for all demo runs.

https://maxf1.net/wp-content/uploads/20 ... d-Bull.jpg
Pretty sure that’s the RB8 with the Coanda exhaust and ramp. Might be wrong though.
Would seem so. Still, great picture, so thank you for that!

CLKGTR

Dipesh1995 is right, that was RB8. Red Bull used two RB7 and one RB8 for Zandvoort demonstration in May this year so I jumped to the conclusion :lol:

Here is the pic of all three... (6548 x 2593 px)

But Red Bull really modified floor exhaust on RB7 for demonstration purposes, as seen on this picture from Vietnam demonstration in May this year when Coulthard was behind the wheel.

aral

Now, back to the RB14 please

lio007

aral wrote:
20 Nov 2018, 17:17
Now, back to the RB14 please
Quote hard at this time of the year ;-)

Anyway, right now RB is 161 points behind Ferrari in the wcc.
Could habe been a tough fight for second place between Ferrari and RB, considering the amount of RB's DNF's.

I really have to say the RB14 is definitely second-place material.
I'm amazed about the constant improvements during the season...but without any major visible updates... The main areas I can remember have been barge boards and mirrors in terms of visibility!

I hope 2019 bodes well, but they also have to improve reliability on the chassis side...this year they weren't always harmed by the PU.

bill shoe

RB always seems to come on stronger in the second half of the season despite little in the way of clear visible changes.

Sauber recently said they had very few chassis updates during the season, and their greatly improved pace during 2018 was all down to setup improvements, especially starting after the 3rd race of the season. Maybe same as RB?

godlameroso

Rake level and ride height along with how the car squats at speed is critical for balancing downforce and drag. So I could see why it could take a few races to optimize the setup, or learn new things about the chassis.
Saishū kōnā

dxpetrov

Nobody noticed, but to me big break through happened in Suzuka, where they discovered that they were faster on higher downforce setup, despite previous simulations which showed medium DF to be better. Since then they relatively kept the highest possible DF levels, which is basically their optimum setup, and that helped massively to watch after rubber and be possibly the fastest team in the race, on the expense of slightly slower quali pace.

wesley123

bill shoe wrote:
21 Nov 2018, 00:19
RB always seems to come on stronger in the second half of the season despite little in the way of clear visible changes.

Sauber recently said they had very few chassis updates during the season, and their greatly improved pace during 2018 was all down to setup improvements, especially starting after the 3rd race of the season. Maybe same as RB?
I think the same is the case for every other team. No one comes to the first race fully understanding the car.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Godius

dxpetrov wrote:
21 Nov 2018, 12:20
Nobody noticed, but to me big break through happened in Suzuka, where they discovered that they were faster on higher downforce setup, despite previous simulations which showed medium DF to be better. Since then they relatively kept the highest possible DF levels, which is basically their optimum setup, and that helped massively to watch after rubber and be possibly the fastest team in the race, on the expense of slightly slower quali pace.
AMuS posted an article today but I can't seem to find it anymore about the RB14 diffuser. Horner stated that their diffuser did not work optimal until the end of the summer. They discovered that there was a correlation issue with it and after the fix the car behaved perfectly, at the same time they were taking grid penalties for new components.

Morteza

Via AMuS
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

CLKGTR

Sidepod close up from Abu Dhabi (open in a new tab for hi res)

godlameroso

Godius wrote:
22 Nov 2018, 18:57
dxpetrov wrote:
21 Nov 2018, 12:20
AMuS posted an article today but I can't seem to find it anymore about the RB14 diffuser. Horner stated that their diffuser did not work optimal until the end of the summer. They discovered that there was a correlation issue with it and after the fix the car behaved perfectly, at the same time they were taking grid penalties for new components.
I figured it would take them a while to get the most out of the curved diffuser, ultimately it has more potential than what they started the year with, they just had to tweak it for it to work correctly and that took a while.
Saishū kōnā