Macau GP 2018

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
turbof1

Re: Macau GP 2018

Andres125sx wrote:
20 Nov 2018, 18:37
turbof1 wrote:
20 Nov 2018, 01:04
Jin told me the "bunker" used to be open in the past. The bunker is not made out of reinforced concrete (unlike the name suggest), but out of materials like steel, laminate, etc. Materials that luckily bent.
I´ve been watching some pictures at the news from inside the bunker, there was a circular steel pilar noticeably bent

I agree the vertebrea damage could have been prevented with Halo
A halo would have increased the chances of survival and decreased chances on significant damage, but with these kind of accidents where such a huge amount of g forces come into play, I wouldn't be surprised if she fractured that vertebra anyhow even with a halo. Something that cushions the blows, that absorbs deacceleration and such is needed to avoid that kind of injury. The halo is more there to keep the head away from impacting something, which would definitely have played a role when she hit the bunker, and also for Tsuboi who's head was at risk when Floersch got catapulted over his car.
#AeroFrodo

Andres125sx

I don´t think this accident produced too many Gs, at least when compared with accidents where the car hit a wall. It hitted the fence before the bunker, and it surely reduced decelerations drastically. Actually I´m 100% sure she didn´t suffered very high Gs for the simple reason she´s alive despite suffering an horrendous crash at that speed. I don´t know the exact speed obviously, but the images are shocking...

But I think his injury was caused by the fence itself or bunker, as she hitted both with the upper part of the car, so the helmet was exposed to the impact. Even a wire from the fence could have hitted the helmet and cause the injury. With halo her head/helmet would have been perfectly protected

NathanOlder

I wonder what the speed was like when she was in the air , I've seen news articles saying "data shows she was doing 276kph" which is 172 mph! There's no way she was doing that when she hit anything, but I'd like to know how fast she was actually going. Very impressive car to be alive thanks to some amazing survival cells! =D>
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

santos

NathanOlder wrote:
21 Nov 2018, 15:10
I wonder what the speed was like when she was in the air , I've seen news articles saying "data shows she was doing 276kph" which is 172 mph! There's no way she was doing that when she hit anything, but I'd like to know how fast she was actually going. Very impressive car to be alive thanks to some amazing survival cells! =D>
That speed was said by the team. If that is speed when she hits another car and brakes the suspension, it doesn't look that she lost many speed. After that, the brakes didn't do much. And in the vídeos from the various angles that i saw, she hits the barrier with a very high speed.

NathanOlder

Oh certainly, but the other cars are doing 40-50mph through there, so even 120mph would look as you said "very high speed" .

The fact that an F3 car can barely do 170mph, would mean it was almost certainly a way off that. Would like to see what caused the issue in the first place, I think I read the team said she had contact with another car.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Just_a_fan

I think the 170mph claim really relates to point at which she had her first contact way back up the track. Whilst sliding on the plank isn't as effective as the brakes, it will certainly reduce the car's speed by 10s of mph.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Couldn't her injury also have been from when the car fell back down onto the ground after she hit the bunker? Davidson ended up with lower vertebrae fractures after his Le Mans accident in 2012. I believe that was down to the car slamming into the ground as well.

Andres125sx

NathanOlder wrote:
21 Nov 2018, 23:37
Oh certainly, but the other cars are doing 40-50mph through there, so even 120mph would look as you said "very high speed" .

The fact that an F3 car can barely do 170mph, would mean it was almost certainly a way off that. Would like to see what caused the issue in the first place, I think I read the team said she had contact with another car.
She hit the front car with her left wheels when the car in front watched a false yellow flag and hit the brakes before expected, I ´ve seen the footage so do a search if you want, it does exist. So basically the impact was at the fastest point of the track, and since her car lost both left wheels she couldn´t loose any significant speed before the corner and kerb, jumping on it

Andres125sx

1158 wrote:
22 Nov 2018, 07:39
Couldn't her injury also have been from when the car fell back down onto the ground after she hit the bunker? Davidson ended up with lower vertebrae fractures after his Le Mans accident in 2012. I believe that was down to the car slamming into the ground as well.
Actually, she didn´t slam into the ground, the fence was in between damping both impacts, first with bunker and then with ground

Andres125sx wrote:
22 Nov 2018, 10:30

Actually, she didn´t slam into the ground, the fence was in between damping both impacts, first with bunker and then with ground
Well she certainly would have landed very hard on something after falling away from the bunker. I'd like to see a close up of her helmet. Then we'll know if she impacted something with her head or not.

Andres125sx

A chineese photographer suffered a broken rib and lacerated liver too

https://www.news.com.au/sport/motorspor ... 709536ef4c

I´m not sure if it´s a camera artifact or what, but in the slowmotion video in the article, just at the impact with the fence when the car rotate before hitting the bunker, looks like the whole nose of the car does bend :shock:

Is that possible? It´s the survival cell so it would be surprising, but the impact is terrible and at a weird angle and direction

It´s certainly one of the most scary and awful accidents I´ve seen, it´s awesome she´s alive, good job survival cell =D> =D>

Jolle

That some people try to say that she might broke her neck in another way than a knock on top of her head is beyond me.

When you hit a bump too hard, if you break something it's your lower back (I think Heidfeld had this once) and the rest of the crash was horrific, but actually not that dangerous. She went backwards into the fencing, then shed a lot of energy against the bunker and only got really hurt when the car flipped up, hitting the top of her head. She got very very lucky that she didn't flew into the fence head first, It would of decapitatied her possibly.

It's a shame that F3 cars don't have the FIA high speed cam like F1 cars have, it would have possibly shown that her head was pushed down almost as much as the cockpit side protectors. A knock on top of your head is a very risky blow and doesn't need much force to have a severe outcome.

To me it is more then clear that injury would have been prevented with a Halo.

So, first year of HALO: prevented two scary moments (Spa and a F2 accident) and could have prevented another (this one). Amount of dangerous moments because of the HALO: none.

strad

I don't see any marks forward of the roll hoop. I don't think the HALO would have done anything. Going backwards it may have become entangled it the fencing.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Just_a_fan

How would a Halo, going backwards, get entangled in the fence?
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Andres125sx

Great news!
Sophia Floerch wrote:Today I am flying back home.

I am still overwhelmed by all the support I got from you fans all around the world.

I celebrated my second birthday [birth] on the 18.11.2018 in Macau.

Now a new chapter starts and I can't wait for it to begin - let's focus on 2019.
https://www.autosport.com/f3/news/14035 ... u-gp-crash