2018 United Arab Emirates Grand Prix - Yas Marina, Abu Dhabi, 23-26 November

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.

PlatinumZealot

Re: 2018 United Arab Emirates Grand Prix - Yas Marina, Abu Dhabi, 23-26 November

molina wrote:
22 Nov 2018, 02:39
https://ep01.epimg.net/deportes/imagene ... corte1.jpg

So sad it's the last one...
Wow. Looks very nice! Should have used this from the start of the season!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

GrandAxe

Re: 2018 United Arab Emirates Grand Prix - Yas Marina, Abu Dhabi, 23-26 November

Will McLaren still carry "Kimoa", Alonso's personal brand after his last race? Its supposed to be a multi year advert deal, which is something unprecedented to do with a current driver.
I wonder if that relationship get's strained or if the deal is a hint that we will continue seeing Alonso in the paddock in a non-driving role.

Image courtesy mclaren.com.

Vasconia

Last race and I have mixed feelings. This was being a great season until the last races(championship fight wise) but the ending has been underwhelming and this last race is a strage one, considering I was expecting an epic battle for the title. I do hope we can see a good race just to make the long wait until march not so painful.

godlameroso

Pole in the low 35's?
Saishū kōnā

PlatinumZealot

People actually remember the laptimes of tracks that are not Spa and Interlagos?

:wtf:

I am intrigued..
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Sieper

Google is your friend!

Last race. Sad. Wait. Wait. Wait Some more. Wait a bit more. Cold. Wet. Miserable. Finally, new cars. Bags. Sand. Wait. Wait a bit more. Finally. Melbourne. Lewis wins. Hmpf. Ok, maybe next year.

LM10

=D>
TAG wrote:
21 Nov 2018, 01:28
LM10 wrote:
21 Nov 2018, 00:55
Thanks for the fair analyzing of things. I appreciate it. =D>
Nothing but respek for a captain willing to go down with his ship!
=D>

godlameroso

Sieper wrote:
23 Nov 2018, 00:12
Google is your friend!

Last race. Sad. Wait. Wait. Wait Some more. Wait a bit more. Cold. Wet. Miserable. Finally, new cars. Bags. Sand. Wait. Wait a bit more. Finally. Melbourne. Lewis wins. Hmpf. Ok, maybe next year.
To be fair no one really sand bagged in testing. The long runs made it obvious that the race pace between Ferrair and Mercedes was close, and that Red Bull was a little behind.
Saishū kōnā

aral

Discussion about Ocon and Verstappens incident in brazil, does not belong here and has been deleted. Please stay on topic.

Sieper

godlameroso wrote:
23 Nov 2018, 04:14
Sieper wrote:
23 Nov 2018, 00:12
Google is your friend!

To be fair no one really sand bagged in testing. The long runs made it obvious that the race pace between Ferrair and Mercedes was close, and that Red Bull was a little behind.
I agree, although some pace hiding is attempted/done I do feel the Barcelona tests (if you interpret them correctly) are telling. Just a bit of trying to get my feeling across!

Morteza

Mercedes confirmed that “Lewis has requested and been given permission to run number 1 on the nose at this final race of the season because he’s World Champion.”
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Morteza

About Hamilton's PU issue
“The problem in Brazil was caused by a failure in the variable inlet system that caused unstable combustion,” a Mercedes spokesman confirmed on Friday after the start of practice in Abu Dhabi.

“Engine settings were changed to contain the risk of failure/maximise performance during the race.”

Hamilton will use the same power unit for Friday’s practice running in Abu Dhabi to give Mercedes the chance to review it and consider whether it can be used for the rest of the race weekend.

“We have made hardware changes outside the sealed perimeter and we are running that engine (PU3) today,” Mercedes said.

“Data will be reviewed after FP2 to make sure all is OK."
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

GrandAxe

FP1 times are unrepresentative, but interesting. Kubitsa is dead last followed by Alonso. Max is totally on it with the Mercs a full second off and both Ferrari's doing their own thing in 7th and 8th.

Just_a_fan

Morteza wrote:
23 Nov 2018, 11:21
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DsrPe9vXgAIrUKG.jpg
Mercedes confirmed that “Lewis has requested and been given permission to run number 1 on the nose at this final race of the season because he’s World Champion.”
Wow, that seems so "old fashioned" already, doesn't it, since we've had dedicated driver numbers. It would be good to see the no.1 on the title holder's car for the whole season. I wonder if it'll prove to be a jinx, however.

Interestingly, last race Hamilton used a similar phrase to Vettel's "let's enjoy these good times" to RedBull when he (Vettel) won his 4th title. Putting the no. 1 on his car for this race is a similar sentiment. I wonder if Hamilton/Mercedes think they're coming to the end of their successful period.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.