Kubica to return to racing .....

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Big Tea

Re: Kubica to return to racing .....

Tzk wrote:
24 Nov 2018, 00:26
There was some onboard footage from todays fp1. In tight lefthand corners, Kubica turns in about a quarter turn on the wheel, then takes the right hand off the wheel and pushes it from below. Looks interesting, but seems to work perfectly.

I was left a bit surprised by the way he drives around his right arm issues. This even raised my respect for him and his missonmeven more.
As long as he can do it, it matters little how it is achieved. Unless it is slower or takes more energy that is.
As I have stated, I suspect he may struggle, not bomb, but find it hard going, but kudos to him for even trying, and I hope he makes it.

Ant on the skypad at about 3min - https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/s ... ith-kubica
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

graham.reeds

I am asking about 1 specific corner on one specific track which is taken 1 handed and that is with his right (the damaged) arm/hand.

That is my question.

netoperek

graham.reeds wrote:
24 Nov 2018, 03:31

I am asking about 1 specific corner on one specific track which is taken 1 handed and that is with his right (the damaged) arm/hand.

That is my question.
Kubica had few chances to try himself in F1 before. None of the teams would dismiss a chance to at least give a proving grounds (like testing day) to a guy with such story AND that happened to be the only guy that Hamilton or Rosberg for instance admitted has been beaten by fair and square. He refused those chances, because he felt he could only go 99% and thats not enough for him. It took him so long, because he's not the opportunist type, he's perfectionist. Once the Renault mechanic who was working with Robert on his test day, said that they obviously have done full physical and were completely blown away with the results. Roberts left hand had 35% better scores than the highest they have ever seen. His left hand alone scored better than both hand combined for an average driver! His right hand has enough power in it to steer on its own, its just not as good at rotating in elbow and finger movement precision. There were some concerns before the first official test, that Kubica would not meet the strict time constrains in emergency exit tests. He broke the record. He has completed 3 race distances on of his test days and still there are people doubting he can make a full race. I know that not everyone has to be following his career, but it would be nice not pass the judgement without any insight and just give the man a chance.
There has been an interview once, where someone from Williams admited that meaningful steps forward in development were done weeks after Barcelona, Austria, Pirelli day and Hungary. Guess were Robert drove.
As to paydriver tag - Sirotkin doubled whatever Robert had in sponsorship and they still took Kubica.

NathanOlder

Problem solved 8)
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Manoah2u

graham.reeds wrote:
24 Nov 2018, 03:31

That is my question.
which has been clearly answered by himself and others that he will do it thus with his LEFT hand.
remaining 30% with the right.

:roll:
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

noname

Phil wrote:
23 Nov 2018, 23:14
(...) At the same time though, i wonder how much to signing Kubica is down to financial reason rather than pure pace. (...)
According to Robert there are discussions between Williams and company supposed to provide financial backing, but nothing has been decided yet.

marmer

Davidson makes a good point what will happen in an mistake with quick reactions needed to correct. I am personally hoping that his current method of driving is actually playing it safe and he is actually able to do slightly more with his right had than shown so far.

Equally in an accident if he doesn't keep his right hand clear of the steering wheel could serious damage be done to his arm

ringo

The human brain has a way of compensating for deficiencies. I think he will find some weird way of coming up to par with any weaknesses. However i suspect he will simply drive very safe and straightforward next year, possibly not participating in all of the races. I find a wet race may be an interesting challenge for Kubica in terms of rapid reflexes.
For Sure!!

marmer

ringo wrote:
25 Nov 2018, 03:52
The human brain has a way of compensating for deficiencies. I think he will find some weird way of coming up to par with any weaknesses. However i suspect he will simply drive very safe and straightforward next year, possibly not participating in all of the races. I find a wet race may be an interesting challenge for Kubica in terms of rapid reflexes.
i would assume right now that Williams believe via the sim that he is capable of doing all races. once season starts if an issues arrive then perhaps but for now lets assume its a full season

FW17

Reflexes are not a problem , that is minimum requirement to driving

Reflexes in rain is not a problem as it is the same as any other reflex

Movement on steering for reflex is not a problem as the degree of movement required is small. If a corrections requires more than quarter turn of the wheel, it is lost cause in most cases

Stop imagining new problems just because you feel 33 is too old

PlatinumZealot

graham.reeds wrote:
23 Nov 2018, 01:55
Can he take Lowes Hairpin?

If I understand it correctly it is his right arm that has limited mobility. Most F1 drivers seem to take Lowes using just their right hand. Does his arm have mobility?

I am sure he has done simulator work but is he strapped in as tightly as he would be in an F1 race?
He can use his left hand if he does a back-hand grab.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Manoah2u

PlatinumZealot wrote:
26 Nov 2018, 01:16
graham.reeds wrote:
23 Nov 2018, 01:55
Can he take Lowes Hairpin?

If I understand it correctly it is his right arm that has limited mobility. Most F1 drivers seem to take Lowes using just their right hand. Does his arm have mobility?

I am sure he has done simulator work but is he strapped in as tightly as he would be in an F1 race?
He can use his left hand if he does a back-hand grab.
I think everybody's also forgetting the most important part.
The corners kubica's left nor right arm can't make, are still easily taken by simply using the gigantic bal!$ robert has.

no worries there.

i'm very excited for 2019 actually!
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

WaikeCU

Russel is in for a treat tbh. He already some things of Lewis and now gets the chance to work with Robert. Nice to put on your resume.

PlatinumZealot

I think Russel is the real sleeper of the newbies... He looks like a ventriloquist's puppet, but don't take him lightly.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

marmer

PlatinumZealot wrote:
27 Nov 2018, 03:47
I think Russel is the real sleeper of the newbies... He looks like a ventriloquist's puppet, but don't take him lightly.
I don't think all the McLaren fan boys would agree but he might actually be the best. He did beat Norris in a spec series and Albion