HALO Approved for 2018

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
NathanOlder

Re: HALO Approved for 2018

Well.....
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

NathanOlder

If that car was on fire. Erm
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

Just_a_fan

Same thing as if there was a canopy or an aeroscreen to be honest.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Tzk
Tzk

Not sure if he just stayed inside because it was easier like this or he just couldn‘t get out because halo was in his way.

Jolle

Yes, Hulk couldn't get out right away, but that wasn't a problem (although for the driver it feels scary).

Over time the idea what is safe during and after a big crash changes. In the early days there were no seatbelts because the thought was, the sooner you're separated from the car the better. Then, when fire was still an issue, not small oil burns but ruptured aluminium gas tanks, even after small crashes, it was good to be out of the car as soon as possible.

Over the last few decades they actually made the seat the safest place to be on track. In every big crash they stabilise the driver inside the car, good examples are Zanardi in Germany where he lost his legs. The seat is constructed in a way that it can be lifted out in one piece.

After a big crash, you need to stay inside the car! That Alonso, with broken ribs and a punctured lung, climbed out of his McLaren was dangerous.

Being trapped never is nice, but you're trapped at the safest place on track.

adrianjordan

Jolle wrote:
25 Nov 2018, 16:57

After a big crash, you need to stay inside the car! That Alonso, with broken ribs and a punctured lung, climbed out of his McLaren was dangerous.
Why? What was dangerous about Alonso extracating himself with those injuries?

All the medical evidence these days shows that, with those sort of injuries, there is actually less risk of making them worse by getting the person to move themselves out of the car/vehicle etc than by being man-handled out. Even with spinal injuries!!

My big concern was how they righted the car. It didn't look like they'd rehearsed it and there was definitely a risk that it could have been dropped. If the driver had a spinal injury, then being dropped could be a massive problem. Not saying they're wrong to right the car, but I would like to see it looking more thought through and rehearsed.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

NathanOlder

Its the FIA . Thought and rehearsals arent likely. They spend their days making videos of how easy it is to get out of a car when upside down, a car with no wheels so the car could roll over and leave space to get out.
I'm glad all those that told me getting out would be easy are now proven wrong.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

jjn9128

NathanOlder wrote:
25 Nov 2018, 20:44
Its the FIA . Thought and rehearsals arent likely. They spend their days making videos of how easy it is to get out of a car when upside down, a car with no wheels so the car could roll over and leave space to get out.
I'm glad all those that told me getting out would be easy are now proven wrong.
Whiting and the FIA disagree, along with Hulkenberg in his post race press conference on C4 and Budkowski from Renault.
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/hulk ... g/4304111/

I think yours is one of the worst cases of confirmation bias I've ever seen. You seem to see every incident as black and white and can't seem to grasp how the huge number of benefits outweigh any of the negatives you can come up with. IIRC with the Leclerc case in Spa you were adamant the halo didn't help.

In this case the car came to rest with the rear wheel supporting it on the barrier - the car was also resting on the roll hoop (actually the T-camera) and the front of the halo. If the halo was not there the car would have come to rest on the front bulkhead region of the chassis, reducing the size of the gap.

As said numerous times before, the FIA suggest drivers remain in the car until it is righted. Crawling out from under an 840kg car (lap 1 full of fuel) which could become unbalanced with the shifting weight is incredibly unwise (in this case again the T-camera could have collapsed from it's position as he wriggled out). In the event where it is not pinned on a barrier it is more likely the car will sit on the side of the halo (Perez in Hungary a few years back) - giving the driver even more room to escape.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

NathanOlder

No no no. The Halo will NOT give a driver more room to escape!! How can you not see this !!!
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

NathanOlder

No matter what angle this thing ends up, The Halo restricts the space to get out of the cockpit.

If the car ends up like Perez in Budapest , the side he escaped from would have had a Halo bar running through the middle of it!
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

i70q7m7ghw

There needs to be a way to quickly remove the halo, surely now the cars fail the FIA's own extraction tests when upside down?

NathanOlder

I dont think the Halo coming off will help much, If the car in upside down with the weight of the car on the Halo, removing part/all of it will be more danger. Not sure how this can be changed. It's probably something that the drivers may have to put up with.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

i70q7m7ghw

The weight shouldn't be on the HALO, that's the job of the roll bar. The cars should be resting on the triangle of the roll bar and nose.

NathanOlder

I would expect the halo to be pretty much touching the ground along with the roll hoop and the front bulkhead. All depending on the damage from the crash of course.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

Jolle

The medial cars have scissors to cut the Halo away in seconds, if they obstruct in any kind.