2018 United Arab Emirates Grand Prix - Yas Marina, Abu Dhabi, 23-26 November

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
GrandAxe
GrandAxe

Re: 2018 United Arab Emirates Grand Prix - Yas Marina, Abu Dhabi, 23-26 November

subcritical71 wrote:
25 Nov 2018, 17:22
GrandAxe wrote:
25 Nov 2018, 16:16
Roxi wrote:
25 Nov 2018, 15:50
Im all for the Halo but when you're up-side-down pinned into a barrier with a helmet on and somewhat in "shock" from crashing a multimillion dollar machine. You're prob gonna have some trouble getting out :shock:
The halo effectively halves the room for the driver to get out.

As we saw, it can actually trap a driver and cause a fatality. Today we had a driver trapped in an upside down car that was on fire. Imagine the car on fire with its nose embedded underneath a tyre wall or entangled in some way that marshals can't manually turn it the right way up and you have the halo becoming a prison.
I missed the part where somebody died :wtf: (I know that is not what you meant)

The Halo both creates and takes away a gap, since the car landed flat upside down I don’t believe hulk was getting out of the car in that position either way (halo or not). The gap would have still been much too small. I hope what the FIA does though is use the crashed car as test and put it upside down in the same position and see if a driver can get out without the halo and the to see what other designs could be considered to prevent this situation (besides having Grosjean retire :wtf: )
The car wasn't perfectly horizontal, where space to get out would have been most limited. Rather it was hanging on the tyre wall at something like 30-40 degrees. So if we apply a little trigonometry, Hulk would have been able to get out unaided without the halo by simply moving sideways, at an angle to the roll hoop.

NathanOlder

Re: 2018 United Arab Emirates Grand Prix - Yas Marina, Abu Dhabi, 23-26 November

Exactly. The Halo kept him in the car today.

I just want the people that told me otherwise to realise they are wrong. I know the Halo outweighs the negatives, but I want the people who kept showing me time and time again that the FIA video was showing an easy escape , were totally wrong .
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

CriXus
CriXus

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” - George Bernard Shaw

matt_b
matt_b

Interesting fact Seb went the whole season with 100% mechanical reliability in all qualifying sessions and the races, can't get better than that when challenging for a championship, that car was bulletproof.

subcritical71

GrandAxe wrote:
25 Nov 2018, 17:49
The car wasn't perfectly horizontal, where space to get out would have been most limited. Rather it was hanging on the tyre wall at something like 30-40 degrees. So if we apply a little trigonometry, Hulk would have been able to get out unaided without the halo by simply moving sideways, at an angle to the roll hoop.
Looking at this image;

It looks like he should have been able to get out. Actually plenty of gap exists. Looks like the side bolster is laying on the ground. Might be good to hear what Hulk had to say afterwards. He may have just preferred to stay put until it was flipped over instead of unbuckling and coming crashing down.

GrandAxe
GrandAxe

subcritical71 wrote:
25 Nov 2018, 18:43
GrandAxe wrote:
Looking at this image;

https://cdn.images.dailystar.co.uk/dyna ... ab229744d7
It looks like he should have been able to get out. Actually plenty of gap exists. Looks like the side bolster is laying on the ground. Might be good to hear what Hulk had to say afterwards. He may have just preferred to stay put until it was flipped over instead of unbuckling and coming crashing down.
You can see the halo just below his helmet in that photo. It obstructs the room that Hulk would have been able to squeeze through, except with flexible head and helmet :wtf: . There's no way he would get out with the halo. Without? Yes.

DutchDopey
DutchDopey

subcritical71 wrote:
25 Nov 2018, 18:43
GrandAxe wrote:
Looking at this image;

https://cdn.images.dailystar.co.uk/dyna ... ab229744d7
He was calling over the radio that he wanted to get out, because or in case of fire.

GrandAxe
GrandAxe

NathanOlder wrote:
25 Nov 2018, 18:30
Exactly. The Halo kept him in the car today.

I just want the people that told me otherwise to realise they are wrong. I know the Halo outweighs the negatives, but I want the people who kept showing me time and time again that the FIA video was showing an easy escape , were totally wrong .
Its debatable that the utility of the halo outweighs its negatives. I've actually been wanting to do an article on the halo for a couple of months now, but time is a squeeze. Hopefully I'll get it done this week.

langedweil

iotar__ wrote:
25 Nov 2018, 17:48
Half of the grid should go to the wheel to wheel kindergarden.
- Hulkenberg - pushing off and cutting across the corner as a way of overtaking. Had loads of space to try anything but why bother? No skills, close your eyes stiff racing is awarded. Not this time.
- He 100% caused the accident so where is Whiting and a penalty? He fell on his head so he can't be penalised :D ?

- MV vs Ocon: foul - slide across, overtake through collision, Verstappen's trademark move.
- MV another collision against Bottas, Turining into the other car. Verstappen's trademark move.
- Leclerc - mild push cut combo at the start

Also:
- rubbish tyre combo awarding slow drivers by accident
- Bottas - moving chicane role :cry:
- Ricciardo's strategy =P~ , if you didn't know the outcome you don't know f1. Sky experts didn't.
On Ves/Bot .. it was actually Bot steering into the car that at that time had the inside of that particular corner ..

As for the rest, totally agree ..
HuggaWugga !

Jolle
Jolle

On a funny note, this year has been a bit of an Oprah show: everybody got points!!!

notsofast
notsofast

Halo or no halo, it seems to me it would be have been difficult for him to prevent landing on his head if he had unbuckled his seat belt. In this particular case, waiting until the car was turned over was probably the sensible thing to do.

Sierra117

Well season over. Now what do we do. Time for crippling depression.
NIKI LAUDANZ SolidarityCubolligraphy | Instagram | Facebook
#Aerogorn & #Flowramir

GrandAxe
GrandAxe

notsofast wrote:
25 Nov 2018, 19:22
Halo or no halo, it seems to me it would be have been difficult for him to prevent landing on his head if he had unbuckled his seat belt. In this particular case, waiting until the car was turned over was probably the sensible thing to do.
Landing on his head was out of the question. Drivers can prop themselves with one hand and undo seat belt clasps with the other. The clasps are quite simple devices.

MtthsMlw

:cry:
For most of us the 2019 season starts mid February already I guess :)

nick p
nick p

Final thoughts on the 2018 F1 season as it's coming to a close in my opinion, one of the best hybrid era seasons