Turbo information mclaren mp4/4

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Ollieb_93

Turbo information mclaren mp4/4

Hi all, highly unlikely il get a response but after spending an hour looking online and not finding a single match on the part number I'm curious!

I have managed to aquire a turbo charger from an ex worker for the mclaren f1 team, who tells me it is a turbo from Alain Prosts mclaren.

I have tried searching the part number on plenty of different websites that have between them, thousands of part numbers and I cant find a match.

This is the turbo, and plate in question..

I knew if it was just a generic turbo I'd have easily found some info, but seeing as I cant find anything I'm getting curious!

Thanks in advance

ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Ollieb_93

Re: Turbo information mclaren mp4/4

I didnt pay anything for it, was given to me for free.

The '999' on the part number does mean 'racing' according to their catalogue but I csnt find this particular full part number

63l8qrrfy6

I deleted my comment as I realized Honda did use KKK turbos before switching to IHI, presumably when the boost pressure limit was dropped.

It could still be genuine, I apologize for the confusion.

Ollieb_93

Mudflap wrote:I deleted my comment as I realized Honda did use KKK turbos before switching to IHI, presumably when the boost pressure limit was dropped.

It could still be genuine, I apologize for the confusion.
No worries mate! I hope somebody can maybe shed some more light. I have no reason to not believe this guy, just a shame there is no real proof!

Wish I could just find something. It is pretty cool!

roy928tt

Is it from a MP4/4 ? Might be from an earlier MP4 with the TAG Porsche V6 which would also have used KKK turbos. Certainly the general sizing of the turbo looks correct for these applications.

Ollieb_93

roy928tt wrote:Is it from a MP4/4 ? Might be from an earlier MP4 with the TAG Porsche V6 which would also have used KKK turbos. Certainly the general sizing of the turbo looks correct for these applications.
I can only go off of what this guy has said unfortunately.
He is an older boy, definitely used to work for the team, don't see why he would have any reason to lie about it and as I say I assumed if it was a generic turbo the part number would flag up on the Web!

Just a real shame this part number doesn't come up on any website with a list of applications that used it to narrow it down a bit, but seeing how top secret everything in formula 1 is, I csnt imagine a quick Web search would show us the exact turbos they were using ha!

gruntguru

The compressor inducer diameter will give you a clue on the power of the application. You can look up some turbo maps for more accurate information but I would expect about 50mm diameter to produce 400hp at a pressure ratio of 2.5 to 3.0 and high efficiency.
je suis charlie

DiogoBrand

I did a quick Google search for the MP4/4 engine pictures as well as for the TAG-Porsche engines from McLaren, and I'd say your compressor definitely looks more similar to the TAG-Porsche one. The pictures I could find from McLaren's Honda engines of that era show IHI branding.

e36jon

The TAG-Porsche engine is still alive and kicking somehow, so finding out one way or the other regarding that engine should be easier. These guys are currently putting them into 911's (I have seen this with my own eyes at Rennsport Reunion at Laguna Seca in Sept.): www.lanzante.com

The engine is updated (New bespoke Pankl conrods, for instance.) but I would expect them to have a good historical knowledge.

Cheers,

Jon

Scootin159

The K26 was the standard turbo on the Porsche 944, so it's certainly something Porsche was very familiar with.

Edit: The 86 in the serial number also indicates it was produced in 1986. This adds extra credibility to it being off the McLaren MP4/2. All the images I can find of the TAG Porsche TTE-P01 (the engine they used that year) show it having a similar KKK turbo, but have the serial plate removed.
Last edited by Scootin159 on 28 Nov 2018, 00:53, edited 1 time in total.

Ollieb_93

So its looking more likely its actually from the TAG porsche engine, which was used in the mp4/3? (correct me if I'm wrong, my f1 knowledge doesn't go that far back!)

That's assuming it is from either, still searching for that solid proof.. Although it is looking more promising!

Ollieb_93

e36jon wrote:The TAG-Porsche engine is still alive and kicking somehow, so finding out one way or the other regarding that engine should be easier. These guys are currently putting them into 911's (I have seen this with my own eyes at Rennsport Reunion at Laguna Seca in Sept.): www.lanzante.com

The engine is updated (New bespoke Pankl conrods, for instance.) but I would expect them to have a good historical knowledge.

Cheers,

Jon
Might see if they have a contact email address, I could possibly fire them over some pictures including the part number and see if it matches any of their records. Never know!

Thanks for the info

Ollieb_93

Scootin159 wrote:The K26 was the standard turbo on the Porsche 944, so it's certainly something Porsche was very familiar with.

Edit: The 86 in the serial number also indicates it was produced in 1986. This adds extra credibility to it being off the McLaren MP4/2. All the images I can find of the TAG Porsche TTE-P01 (the engine they used that year) show it having a similar KKK turbo, but have the serial plate removed.
Didn't actually think anything of the 86 in the serial number but that's a very good point!

Quite exciting really.
Whats also pretty cool is the turbo itself is actually in really good condition. No play in the shaft or side to side movement and spins freely.

godlameroso

Ollieb_93 wrote:
28 Nov 2018, 01:18
Scootin159 wrote:The K26 was the standard turbo on the Porsche 944, so it's certainly something Porsche was very familiar with.

Didn't actually think anything of the 86 in the serial number but that's a very good point!

Quite exciting really.
Whats also pretty cool is the turbo itself is actually in really good condition. No play in the shaft or side to side movement and spins freely.

Man I'd love to take a look at the innards of it.
Saishū kōnā