2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.

RonDennis

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

Probably not a major deal, but still good news.

Thunder wrote:
27 Nov 2018, 10:50
McLaren have no regrets about split from engine partner Honda, says chairman
https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/46355179

Sounds halfway reasonable, next Year will tell if the really fixed the Issue.
Yeah, we will probably also found out what went wrong by just looking at the car.

charliesmithhd

Thunder wrote:

I hope that if they fix the 'fundamental issue' they will say what it was.

dren

I still find it hard to believe that with all of the data and engineers they have that it took them a PU change to realize their car wasn't good enough.
Honda!

M840TR

Thunder wrote:

Also says they could've done a B-car if they had realized the issues around April; they didn't until after summer break. Would've loved to see that.

M840TR

dren wrote:
27 Nov 2018, 14:02
I still find it hard to believe that with all of the data and engineers they have that it took them a PU change to realize their car wasn't good enough.
The 2018 car has second faster engine and runs on half a second faster tyre compounds but still falls short four or five tenths on average pace compared to last year. If they'd only retained the Mcl33's chassis performance, they would still be very much in the fight for 4th at least this year.

RonDennis

dren wrote:
The 2017 chassis was quite good, this one isn’t. I expected them to be 4th fastest and looking at the pace of the rest, they should have been. Just look at their pace in 2017 and compare it do this year, the difference is far too small. McLaren even said it themselves, this chassis has less performance than their car from last year. It shows how flawed this car is and has been from day 1.

Alonso Fan

RonDennis wrote:
27 Nov 2018, 15:09
dren wrote:
The 2017 chassis was quite good, this one isn’t. I expected them to be 4th fastest and looking at the pace of the rest, they should have been. Just look at their pace in 2017 and compare it do this year, the difference is far too small. McLaren even said it themselves, this chassis has less performance than their car from last year. It shows how flawed this car is and has been from day 1.
I've been saying this all along but people like to cling to the narrative that the chassis was this bad for the whole past 3 years and now they have nowhere to hide behind.

Just look at last year's performances in Hungary, Austin, monaco, Mexico and Spa.
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

dren

The chassis might be worse this year, but it wasn't great last year, either. Yes, the Honda PU was the main contributor to poor performance, but I wouldn't say the MCL32 was the 4th best chassis on the grid. It was a midfield chassis with a poor PU. Years prior, Mclaren was making race winning chassis.
Honda!

McMika98

dren wrote:
Yup the aero guru cooked a royal mother of all blunders. Their drag penalty is too much, does not penalise as much on low, med or med-high speed. One thing in common is that they have performed well in same tracks as last year, the car this year clearly was an evolution from last year but adjusted in Spain once they realised the balls up. Hence the admission that they could not have a B spec car ready in time. It wasnt anything to do with the chassis, more aero.

Big Tea

M840TR wrote:
27 Nov 2018, 14:41
Thunder wrote:

Also says they could've done a B-car if they had realized the issues around April; they didn't until after summer break. Would've loved to see that.
I do not understand why they did not churn out a B-C-d E-and even F spec this year.

Auctioning the car Alonso last drove in F1 would at minimum recover the cost, and probably even make them a nice pile. They had to have a stack of un numbered spares such as nose, suspension etc, so they could make up several 'genuine Alonso' cars and a hand full of close copies still the right car and year even if they were not Alonso's car
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

proteus

M840TR wrote:
27 Nov 2018, 14:49
dren wrote:
The 2018 car has second faster engine and runs on half a second faster tyre compounds but still falls short four or five tenths on average pace compared to last year. If they'd only retained the Mcl33's chassis performance, they would still be very much in the fight for 4th at least this year.

https://i.redd.it/xgzkijnvcu021.png
All well and true, this year qualifying pace was worse than the one of last year, HOWEVER, the car of the 2017 season with Honda engine was more or less losing its positions trough the race and it was rarely gaining them in terms of pure overtaking of its opponents. This year however, they atleast managed to overtake on the track.

Overall however, performance was not even near where it should be. Honda wasnt that great either. So far both companies appeared as losers out of this contest. And Honda clearly has upper hand for being better in the next season.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

M840TR

proteus wrote:
27 Nov 2018, 17:45
M840TR wrote:
27 Nov 2018, 14:49
dren wrote:

https://i.redd.it/xgzkijnvcu021.png
All well and true, this year qualifying pace was worse than the one of last year, HOWEVER, the car of the 2017 season with Honda engine was more or less losing its positions trough the race and it was rarely gaining them in terms of pure overtaking of its opponents. This year however, they atleast managed to overtake on the track.

Overall however, performance was not even near where it should be. Honda wasnt that great either. So far both companies appeared as losers out of this contest. And Honda clearly has upper hand for being better in the next season.
That was because the Honda chugged fuel like a crane, so they were always running conservative engine modes and lift-costing. Quali pace is a more accurate indicator of performance because in the race Alonso usually pulled out a few moves like in Spain etc but not over one-lap.

M840TR

Big Tea wrote:
27 Nov 2018, 17:15
M840TR wrote:
27 Nov 2018, 14:41
Thunder wrote:

I do not understand why they did not churn out a B-C-d E-and even F spec this year.

Auctioning the car Alonso last drove in F1 would at minimum recover the cost, and probably even make them a nice pile. They had to have a stack of un numbered spares such as nose, suspension etc, so they could make up several 'genuine Alonso' cars and a hand full of close copies still the right car and year even if they were not Alonso's car
It got too late in the season. Would've compromised 2019 greatly.

charliesmithhd

What do we think this fundemtal issue is? We’ve talked about gearbox ratios, but surely it is a chassis/ aero problem restricting rear downforce