Formula E

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
jjn9128

Re: Formula E

mzso wrote:
30 Nov 2018, 23:16
jjn9128 wrote:
30 Nov 2018, 23:09
Less weight in the battery pack is a priority first.
No mention of that. Nor do I think it should be a goal. All that results in midgets getting an advantage.
Okay, maybe not less weight... though the batteries are ~200kg, but certainly a higher energy density :P

If they ballast to a minimum driver + seat weight there's no advantage with size.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Cold Fussion
Cold Fussion

jjn9128 wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:
30 Nov 2018, 21:50
I´d say AWD for both acceleration and regen will be unique and important for FE in the future, a must in my opinion, but not yet as with current power and AWD they will go on rails and would be boring
Lucas Di Grassi agrees with you https://www.autosport.com/engineering/f ... -with-gen3. Less weight in the battery pack is a priority first.
So long as the battery is capable of lasting a full race surely the specifications beyond that don't matter for a spec series.

jjn9128

Cold Fussion wrote:
01 Dec 2018, 07:07
So long as the battery is capable of lasting a full race surely the specifications beyond that don't matter for a spec series.
Power is currently capped at 250kW for qualifying and 200kW for normal race mode (225kW in attack mode). While I don't think the F1 levels of power are necessary it would be nice to either increase the maximum power or be able to race closer to the maximum for longer to limit some of the lift and coast. The battery can do a full race now, but energy density is increasing exponentially, so Gen 3 (presumably in another 4/5 years) will no doubt see a significant improvement in power output or a reduction in the battery pack size. The main issue for weight is the heat cycles from charging/discharging so much in a short time frame, so they need a fair amount of cooling.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

mzso
mzso

jjn9128 wrote:
01 Dec 2018, 12:59
The battery can do a full race now, but energy density is increasing exponentially
Boy, this is wrong. Barely increases at all. This is not CPU tech. They tweak the packaging and the anode/cathode materials a bit with modest energy density increase, otherwise nothing really changes. There will only be a significant improvement if they move to a completely new chemistry. LiS, solid electrolytes, whatever. But who knows when that will happen. Current Li-ion battery tech was released near thirty years ago and changed very little.

jjn9128

mzso wrote:
01 Dec 2018, 17:57
jjn9128 wrote:
The battery can do a full race now, but energy density is increasing exponentially
Boy, this is wrong. Barely increases at all. This is not CPU tech. They tweak the packaging and the anode/cathode materials a bit with modest energy density increase, otherwise nothing really changes. There will only be a significant improvement if they move to a completely new chemistry. LiS, solid electrolytes, whatever. But who knows when that will happen. Current Li-ion battery tech was released near thirty years ago and changed very little.
? Energy density is increasing and continues to do so
#aerogandalf

mzso
mzso

jjn9128 wrote:
01 Dec 2018, 21:43
? Energy density is increasing and continues to do so
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/imag ... jaIimzFgg-
Not that I put much faith into random graphs from the internet, but only tiny improvements happen.
Even that graph shows only a doubling in 20 years or so, and there's very little potential left in Li-ion.

jjn9128

Attack mode and halo LED details unveiled http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2018 ... novations/
#aerogandalf

flynfrog

mzso wrote:
jjn9128 wrote:
Actually it increases in density 5-8% a year on average doubling every 9-14 years regardless of technology. That is by definition exponential growth.

Andres125sx

mzso wrote:
jjn9128 wrote:
Even so, FE battery has at least doubled its energy density if we rely on their claims (double race distance with more power)

BTW, I´ve just realiced.... Gen 2 cars and season 5 debut is in less than two weeks!! \:D/
Last edited by Andres125sx on 04 Dec 2018, 10:18, edited 1 time in total.

Andres125sx

Cold Fussion wrote:
01 Dec 2018, 07:07
jjn9128 wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:
30 Nov 2018, 21:50
I´d say AWD for both acceleration and regen will be unique and important for FE in the future, a must in my opinion, but not yet as with current power and AWD they will go on rails and would be boring
Lucas Di Grassi agrees with you https://www.autosport.com/engineering/f ... -with-gen3. Less weight in the battery pack is a priority first.
This is racing, perfomance always matters. I get what you mean, but I´ll agree when FE reach around 300km/h top speed at least while they can use some DF to corner decently :)

mzso
mzso

flynfrog wrote:
04 Dec 2018, 02:44
Actually it increases in density 5-8% a year on average doubling every 9-14 years regardless of technology. That is by definition exponential growth.

https://steemitimages.com/0x0/https://s ... /image.png
I stand corrected. In this case I'll make a mental note that the term "growing exponentially" is just useless...
Last edited by mzso on 04 Dec 2018, 13:22, edited 2 times in total.

jjn9128

Andres125sx wrote:
04 Dec 2018, 10:14
BTW, I´ve just realiced.... Gen 2 cars and season 5 debut is in less than two weeks!! \:D/
Exciting isn't it. I'm hoping the new car lives up to the hype. That said Formula E drivers are nut-cases so I expect carbon strewn about the circuit from lap 1 so how much we can tell about performance will be anyone's guess :lol:
#aerogandalf

Big Tea

And there's me thinking a Gen too was a penguin.

I like the way they have it in the F1 closed season. Probably better as there is no direct competition.
I casually watched the past seasons, mostly as it got switched about from channel to channel, but will probably
Knuckle down and watch seriously this year, provided it is on just the one channel.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

jjn9128

Big Tea wrote:
04 Dec 2018, 12:52

I like the way they have it in the F1 closed season. Probably better as there is no direct competition.
I casually watched the past seasons, mostly as it got switched about from channel to channel, but will probably
Knuckle down and watch seriously this year, provided it is on just the one channel.
Either their Youtube or the BBC red button. I think the main issue they had in the past was an inconsistent calendar - there could be 1 or 6 weeks between races (or a day a double header). This year is a bit better, but it's still a month between most events - the issue was it's supposed to be a winter series but a lot of countries they go to are northern hemisphere so they need to wait until it warms up.
#aerogandalf

Big Tea

jjn9128 wrote:
04 Dec 2018, 14:21
Big Tea wrote:
04 Dec 2018, 12:52

Either their Youtube or the BBC red button. I think the main issue they had in the past was an inconsistent calendar - there could be 1 or 6 weeks between races (or a day a double header). This year is a bit better, but it's still a month between most events - the issue was it's supposed to be a winter series but a lot of countries they go to are northern hemisphere so they need to wait until it warms up.
If its on BBC or 4, as long as they do not switch the channels it would be OK cos if you use series link it finds it.
I prefer to watch live, but recording is better than missing it.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.