2019 FIA F3

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
jjn9128

Re: 2019 FIA F3

Formula Wrong wrote:
26 Nov 2018, 02:49
Is there a particular reason for the rear wing endplates to have this "lightning" shape? It looks rather odd.
Same reason the front edges of the sidepods are swept back - because it looks "aggressive" and "modern"!!
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

jjn9128

Jolle wrote:
24 Nov 2018, 18:20
I do like that they made the Halo out of steel for this series, a lot cheaper then tinanium :P
Just read on racecar engineering that it's a lot heavier too - 13kg vs 7kg for the titanium halo!!
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

garyjpaterson

Strictly a weekend project for me as I'm busy throughout the week on paid models, but finished blocking out the main parts. Nothing aside from the front endplates is set in stone yet, so plenty of photo analysis will come before refining the shapes and adding detail.

jjn9128

garyjpaterson wrote:
02 Dec 2018, 19:55
Strictly a weekend project for me as I'm busy throughout the week on paid models, but finished blocking out the main parts. Nothing aside from the front endplates is set in stone yet, so plenty of photo analysis will come before refining the shapes and adding detail.
It would be interesting to see some CFD and how it compares to known/assumed figures for the actual F3 car.
#aerogandalf

garyjpaterson

Anyone able to make any sense of the rear wing angle adjustment? You can clearly see the holes on the endplate for the various angles, along with the sliding section in the middle and the pivot at the top corner (seems both flaps move together 'as one').

But I'm struggling to get my head round what the DRS pillar in the middle does, as its hard mounted to the gearbox (and looks fixed to the main plane).

How do they get around this, do they have to install a new 'leg' to the DRS strut?

jjn9128

garyjpaterson wrote:
03 Dec 2018, 12:03
Anyone able to make any sense of the rear wing angle adjustment? You can clearly see the holes on the endplate for the various angles, along with the sliding section in the middle and the pivot at the top corner (seems both flaps move together 'as one').

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... nknown.png

But I'm struggling to get my head round what the DRS pillar in the middle does, as its hard mounted to the gearbox (and looks fixed to the main plane).

How do they get around this, do they have to install a new 'leg' to the DRS strut?
I think the actuator cover has to be replaced for different wing positions.
#aerogandalf

garyjpaterson

Thanks, makes sense. Looks like I wont be animating that then :lol:

jjn9128

garyjpaterson wrote:
03 Dec 2018, 12:19
Thinking about it - the whole rear wing stanchion there has to be changed... unless the rear wing height changes slightly with each angle adjustment. 20 incidence locations so 20 different rear wing supports per car plus spares - is it poor design or a money spinning exercise???? Unless I'm missing something...
#aerogandalf

garyjpaterson

jjn9128 wrote:
03 Dec 2018, 13:05
garyjpaterson wrote:
03 Dec 2018, 12:19
Thinking about it - the whole rear wing stanchion there has to be changed... unless the rear wing height changes slightly with each angle adjustment. 20 incidence locations so 20 different rear wing supports per car plus spares - is it poor design or a money spinning exercise???? Unless I'm missing something...
Seems about right looking at the GP3 car which uses the same parts - look how tall the DRS actuator cover is on the Monza spec compared to Barcelona relative to the top of the endpaltes - which means the whole strut must have changed.

garyjpaterson

Managed to get hold of some details from one of the (very generous!) teams, so just in the process of correcting any inaccuracies in the overall proportions - my wheelbase guess was 60mm too short, and about 10mm too wide for track width, not too bad considering I had nothing to go by at all!

In the meantime, just modelled one of the new Steel Halo's:

jjn9128

The steel halo is really different from the titanium one. Looks like the grey bit is made from 6 pieces of sheet steel welded to the yellow part. I guess that's where a lot of cost saving comes (on top of the price of raw materials).

#aerogandalf

garyjpaterson

Trickle-down well and truly happening now :lol:

garyjpaterson

F3 build coming on nicely in my spare time, aiming to release in time for Barcelona - was able to contact one of the teams and receive some technical data (though they are waiting on some too as its such a new car!).

Can't wait to get the first physics build running to test it properly!

coaster

F312, F317 and F320 are all one evolution with upgrade kits to bring previous models up to date.
Owners manuals are freely available online and most describe the x,y,z coordinates of the suspension, strangely the rear suspension has antidive similar to front.
This must be due to the small power rating of the motor, a bit of wheelspin doesnt hurt i guess when youve got a tractor engine.
The 317 and 320 had pushrod on upright front suspension and was hailed by all drivers as a car with superb dynamics.
The FTR transaxle offers limited suspension adjustments and many FTR equipped cars in other categories seem to follow a similar suspension design, make room for the diffuser seems to be the controlling parameter after the pickup points.