HALO Approved for 2018

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
NathanOlder

Re: HALO Approved for 2018

jjn9128 wrote:
06 Dec 2018, 16:24
Interesting video, I can't find the report anywhere on the FIA or global institute websites. Probably just sent to the press. I feel that the autosport/motorsport network are primarily responsible for the backlash against the halo, and now they're producing videos like this without any contrition for their part in the resistance to it. Kind of cheap.

Now we wait for the conspiracy theorists "the FIA are just fudging reports to justify the halo, I don't think it would have made a difference".
So what would happen if the front wing endplate just about made contact with Leclerc's visor, as thats what they think may have happened.

Now we wait for the utter BS about how it would have sliced his head clean off his shoulders. Come on, your better than that jjin9128
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Just_a_fan

Depends how hard it hit him. In extremis, it might have killed him. A decent impact could have blinded him if it damaged the visor sufficiently. Or it might just have given him a decent headache. The problem in that particular impact would be that his head has nowhere to go once it's pushed against the headrests behind and to the sides. Once there, any further movement by the wing would cause damage of some form.

The reality is that if F1 is to stay an open wheel formula, head protection of some form is required. The genie is out of the bottle and can't easily be put back in.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Formula Wrong

What, to me, is the most interesting about the animation in that video is that it doesn't appear to show the actual movement from the wheel over the Halo? :| In that video it looks as if at one point the wheel was directly above Leclerc's helmet, but in the actual footage it never appears to be THAT close and only in front of or next to the Halo.

NathanOlder wrote:
06 Dec 2018, 18:29
Now we wait for the utter BS about how it would have sliced his head clean off his shoulders.
Oh come on, there's no reason to exaggerate :roll: Adam Baker from the FIA actually said they don't know what would have happened to Leclerc if he had been hit.

But I'd rather have no driver getting hit by a frontwing like that in first place.
If you no longer go for the space someone always has to leave, you're no longer a racing driver

jjn9128

Formula Wrong wrote:
06 Dec 2018, 20:42
What, to me, is the most interesting about the animation in that video is that it doesn't appear to show the actual movement from the wheel over the Halo?
The animation is by autosport/motorsport so a bit of artistic license from an animator. The FIA did CAE crash studies looking at the crash physics in detail.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

strad

OK I give up. If y'all want to believe the HALO has proven itself you are of course free to believe that.
Personally I'm not naïve enough to believe that the FIA would say otherwise.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Just_a_fan

Whereas those who dislike the halo are all paragons of virtue with no point to sell?

Sauce for the goose...

AJI
AJI

jjn9128 wrote:
06 Dec 2018, 16:24
Interesting video, I can't find the report anywhere on the FIA or global institute websites. Probably just sent to the press. I feel that the autosport/motorsport network are primarily responsible for the backlash against the halo, and now they're producing videos like this without any contrition for their part in the resistance to it. Kind of cheap.

Now we wait for the conspiracy theorists "the FIA are just fudging reports to justify the halo, I don't think it would have made a difference".
I wish this debate would end. The Halo is here, forever...
Has it has improved safety, yes.
Is it he ugliest addition to an F1 car since the 2014 'dong' noses, definitely.

If the original design was aesthetically pleasing no one would have ever had a problem with it, but it wasn't. Hopefully the 2021 redesign will be MUCH better integrated. Until then I'll put up with it.

strad

AJI
Really hung up on what it looks like aren't you?
Believe me, for many of us it has nothing at all to do with how it looks.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

AJI
AJI

I am strad, same as you with saftey.
For me it comes with having a job that deals with both engineering and aesthetics. The product has to work, but if it looks horrible no one wants to buy it...
Luckily for the FIA they have a monopoly.

Seriously though, if it was invisible the only argument left would be the safety benefits, so there'd be ~50% less of us 'detractors' and you could push harder on your 'safety device' that's not 'safe' angle, at the same time as using your Stirling Moss quote. :wink:

Just_a_fan

Ah yes, the old "if there's no risk of death then it's not real motorsport" attitude.

We've all watched drivers die. It doesn't make motorsport better.

strad

Why does it always boil down to wanting to see drivers die with so many of you?
It certainly does not. However there does need to be a sense of danger.
Racing should require a certain level of bravery.
Sir Stirling Moss

AJI
AJI

[Motor Sport magazine described Stewart – when he led the drivers’ boycott of the treacherous Spa-Francorchamps circuit in 1969 – as “a pious little Scot with beady eyes who should take up knitting using needles without sharp points.”]

That's not actually a shot at you strad, it's just a demonstration of how utterly pointless this thread has become...
The safety standards are a million times better than the killer years of GP racing. There's very little point arguing about it, which is why I would like to see the subject put to bed at least until Halo v2.0 is released.

strad

F1 Fan Voice had an opportunity to talk to Sir Jackie Stewart and invited questions. I'm hoping they ask mine.
A couple of years ago he said that the safety thing has gone to far and emasculated the sport.
My question was did he still think that. If he answers I'll let you know what he says either way. :wink:
Sir Stirling Moss

cooken

The release of this report sure seems well timed, right after Hulkenberg's little episode.

NathanOlder

Yeah good point. The Belgian GP was over 3 months ago, why suddenly now ?
The reason probably being the same as to why this thread sparked back to life.

The first car to end up upside-down trapped its driver in the car which was something the FIA told us all WOULDN'T HAPPEN.
So how many more lies are there about the Halo ??
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC