[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2018

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
CAEdevice

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2018

machin wrote:
02 Dec 2018, 19:00
CAEdevice wrote:
02 Dec 2018, 10:30

Not a bad idea, but we should consider that our front wings can't extend outside the maximum width, so we will need to place them forward the front fenders.
Good point... that won’t really work then; the infinity wing makes use of the lateral flow around the fenders... something more like these end plates on the Pikes Peak Peugeot 206 then...

https://images.caradisiac.com/logos/3/3 ... 10502.jpg
This is a solution we will see on many cars during the next races, but the top teams will compete about vortices and cooling.

machin

CAEdevice wrote:
02 Dec 2018, 21:43
This is a solution we will see on many cars during the next races, but the top teams will compete about vortices and cooling.
Interesting... So you still feel that there is a lot of development potential left in the cooling, or are you worried that the high downforce package that you have will mess up the existing cooling flow regime?
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

variante

Team_Bart wrote:
01 Dec 2018, 16:18
Especially what are the top teams doing different in their designing compared with the efficiency tracks?
This time it's downforce without compromises (almost). So I'm maximizing the Rear Wing (with new aerofoils) and widening Front Wing tunnels for faster flow evacuation.
But still, if I had new ideas about the diffuser, I would keep developing it because its downforce potential is pretty high. Also, efficiency might not be so important now, but it's still better than a draggier solution.

machin wrote:
02 Dec 2018, 01:34
So, for a bit of inspiration for you guys, has anyone thought about trying out an “infinity wing”?
As CAEdevice said, width is a factor in our case. But there is more: curving front wing edges upwards would encourage air to spill underneath it, which might be more detrimental overall.
I'm currently going with Peugeout endplates.

CAEdevice

machin wrote:
03 Dec 2018, 14:44
CAEdevice wrote:
02 Dec 2018, 21:43
Interesting... So you still feel that there is a lot of development potential left in the cooling, or are you worried that the high downforce package that you have will mess up the existing cooling flow regime?
Both hypotheses are possibke. Cars with frontal hx may have less design freedom in the frontal region, cars with hx inlets placed behind the front wheels axle can have flow restrictions (limiting the front down force). Efficients ducts would allow smaller inlets and reduce this problem.

I noticed that Variante has a perfect flow inside the cooling ducts... on the contrary, mine has still recirculation volumes...

I assume that all the top teams have perfect high down force airfolils and diffuser, that is why I indicated these details. Also consider that the gap between the cars on the podium is very very small.

machin

For those of you (like me) who like to read technical rules... the 2020 LMP rules are now out... the new cars will be limited aerodynamically to specific aero coeffiecients, which are given in section 3.8.3 of the rules;

https://www.fia.com/file/75543/download ... n=3vg69Ei4

Many of the MVRC cars would be too good for these rules and would have to be reigned in quite a bit (having said that, they have quite a prescriptive floor design)

CAEdevice

machin wrote:
06 Dec 2018, 21:49
For those of you (like me) who like to read technical rules... the 2020 LMP rules are now out... the new cars will be limited aerodynamically to specific aero coeffiecients, which are given in section 3.8.3 of the rules;

https://www.fia.com/file/75543/download ... n=3vg69Ei4

Many of the MVRC cars would be too good for these rules and would have to be reigned in quite a bit (having said that, they have quite a prescriptive floor design)
Sad news... I think that not hybrid LMP1 and LMP2 would have been the perfect compromise: many constructors private teams and real racecars.

Hypercars are fast, but the philosophy is the same of GT with that thing called BoP...

Alonso Fan

Has caeses been updated for the new rules?

I might get a quick intro entry together for the next race

edit: just been tinkering with the caeses app and the floor section doesn't seem to be working
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

BlakjeKaas

Alonso Fan wrote:
10 Dec 2018, 13:58

edit: just been tinkering with the caeses app and the floor section doesn't seem to be working
Last time I tried it, it was still using the old rules, so the rear wing is slightly too big and diffuser is too big..

There seems to be an issue with Caeses where it sometimes seems to work and sometimes doesn't, not really sure what's going on there.
MVRC: Tulip Racing

Alonso Fan

BlakjeKaas wrote:
10 Dec 2018, 18:43
Alonso Fan wrote:
10 Dec 2018, 13:58

Last time I tried it, it was still using the old rules, so the rear wing is slightly too big and diffuser is too big..

There seems to be an issue with Caeses where it sometimes seems to work and sometimes doesn't, not really sure what's going on there.
Ah OK thanks for the info.

I should start quickly working on a car then I guess...

Unfortunately I can't use solidworks anymore since I've finished university. So back to sketchup while I struggle to learn blender...
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Alonso Fan

can somebody upload the latest rev of the intro bodywork? the one available on the website is the old one
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

CAEdevice

Hi Alonso Fan. Here is the step version of the new intro car:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jfiurvj44yx98 ... P.zip?dl=0

Alonso Fan

CAEdevice wrote:
10 Dec 2018, 23:20
Hi Alonso Fan. Here is the step version of the new intro car:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jfiurvj44yx98 ... P.zip?dl=0
thanks

but I meant the bodywork?
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

machin

I just downloaded it and can confirm it is the full bodywork... If you want to make your own wings and other parts I think you'll need to delete the existing parts...

Alonso Fan

machin wrote:
11 Dec 2018, 23:41
I just downloaded it and can confirm it is the full bodywork... If you want to make your own wings and other parts I think you'll need to delete the existing parts...
ah ok thanks. maybe my step import plugin for sketchup is not working correctly

anyhow, I spent the time and modified last years to fit this years regulations (hopefully its legal)
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Alonso Fan

Introducing the SHM18

SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter