2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
muramasa

Re: 2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

gandharva wrote:
06 Dec 2018, 10:52
Wouter wrote:
06 Dec 2018, 10:24
Interview with Franz Tost about Honda yesterday on an Italian site.
"We have a very good collaboration. If we find anything that can be improved, we sit down together, discuss it and try to find a solution. When we had our first meeting with Honda last year I was shocked: they weren't aware of things about the single-seater, I mean data that also affected the engine, which meant that they hadn't been informed. Today we have a very good relationship and I am convinced that next year they will be able to win races with Red Bull Racing".
:wtf:
I cannot trace the article but I recall reading around Nov 2017 that Honda was surprised by the amount of data provided by STR and impressed by the STR's open attitude. Also in Jan edition of f1sokuho there was Asaki's quote that how extremely cooperative STR is.

dren wrote:
07 Dec 2018, 13:50
So, they had a works deal but didn't operate like a works team. There is a very arrogant culture at Mclaren. Newey stated in his book he had to get rid of key people at Jaguar to change the old boy culture. Perhaps that's what Mclaren has done recently?
That's one sided view, Hasegawa was talking how generous McLaren is and how profound their capability is, McLaren lent a hand to Honda a lot in every aspects, battery was joint development, many components were arranged through/by McLaren, intake, plenum chamber etc were manufactured by McLaren etc and they cannot thank McLaren enough for that and so on. For 2018 they could not rely on McLaren anymore so increasing the rate of internal manufacturing as well as establishing new/different supply network was one huge challenge to Honda. At the same time Yamamoto assessed that it's lack of genuine exchange between the two parties and there was no intense and tangible discussions, that's because they sort of respected each other too much and just concentrated on the assigned job hence working methodology got compartmentalized and confined to each rather than interactive and mutual, McLaren expected high for Honda but after all Honda was not at McLaren's level and McLaren gradually got to lose patience and prioritize their way, eventually the relationship went funny. (these are quotes from Oct 2017 paraphrased)
So it's a matter of matching and timing, they both did their own best but things didnt work, of course both sides couldve done better but in such case what's in the best interests for both is to part ways.
Last edited by muramasa on 17 Dec 2018, 08:12, edited 2 times in total.

Wouter

Tost says Honda hit targets, Toro Rosso didn’t.

“From my side there was no fear (ahead of 2018), because for me Honda was already much better than people thought last year and fortunately I was right when I said that I expect a reasonably good season with Honda,” Tost told RACER. “Of course it would never be easy because there’s a lot of research and development to be done. But in the end, regarding Honda we achieved the goals. The problems we have currently, it’s not on the power unit side, it’s on the car side.
We need to improve the performance of the car. We are not so happy with the aerodynamic side and we also have to do something on the mechanical side — we know this and I hope that we will go in the right direction."

“We have to work on the aerodynamic side. We have to work on the car side, also the mechanical side, and get a better understanding of the tires, for the management of the tires. These will be the main topics for next season.
In the end I would say it was a balanced season but I’m not satisfied with the result of the season. I expected more and we have to improve our performance for next year. We reshuffled some departments in the company because we must show a better performance.”
Helmut Marko [MS-Magazine]: "That's why there's another constellation next year. Toro Rosso gets from Red Bull everything, which is allowed according to regulations. The whole rear of the car comes from Red Bull."
The Power of Dreams!

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare