McLaren MCL34 speculation thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
GoranF1

Re: McLaren MCL33

Mclaren has found a loophole in 2019 aero regulations.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Jackles-UK

McLaren MCL33

GoranF1 wrote:
16 Dec 2018, 11:53
Here’s hoping it’s a ‘double diffuser’ grade loophole and not just a ‘mushroom suspension’ type one! Anyone care to offer bets on the latter?!

Given the poor success rate of their silver bullets in recent years I hope they don’t base their entire philosophy around it.

Big Tea

Re: McLaren MCL33

GoranF1 wrote:
16 Dec 2018, 11:53
They will not get results until they stop looking for loopholes and fairy dust and get on with the basic job as well as they can.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

hollus

McLaren MCL34 speculation thread

This is the speculation thread about the 2019 car. Rumors, articles, ideas and fantasies about the car can be posted here. Once the car gets officially launched, this thread will be closed and discussion continues in the official thread.
Rivals, not enemies.

PhillipM

Re: McLaren MCL34 speculation thread

What we have so far:

New longer chassis/tub - definate
New gearbox - definate
New rear suspension pickups (part of the new 'box) - definate
Radiators reshaped - definate
Probably new sidepods since they cancelled this years new ones when they found their aero problems this year - speculation on my part based on previous info.
Sidepod inlets reshaped and pushed back from the bargeboards - speculation but from a very good source.
New bargeboards, front, rear wing - definate, since, well, FIA rules.

charliesmithhd

PhillipM wrote:
16 Dec 2018, 21:40
What we have so far:

New gearbox - definate
Probably new sidepods since they cancelled this years new ones when they found their aero problems this year - speculation on my part based on previous info.
Sidepod inlets reshaped and pushed back from the bargeboards - speculation but from a very good source.
Wider airbox inlet

M840TR

PhillipM wrote:
16 Dec 2018, 21:40
What we have so far:

New gearbox - definate
Can you ask your source if they'll retain the same rear suspension philosophy and modify it, like we saw in Abu Dhabi, or revise it? Also, if there are changes to the nose?

godlameroso

Maybe the change gives better motion ratios, one very possible outcome is a more compact gearbox. Likewise I'm guessing they're going to move the inlets back(and enlarge the hood scoop) because it is more efficient to have the inlets closer to the heat exchangers. It also frees up more space in the bargeboard, and crash structures.

I wonder if they keep this year's nose, but adapted to work with a new T-tray. The interaction between the extension and the leading edge of the floor will be even more critical, and the mid wing will have more surface area.

The T-tray, extension, bargeboards, and aero devices on the pseudo inlets, and the side pod deflectors can combine all their effects and become a very powerful aero device, while still maitaining the integrity of the flow structures which help the downforce at the rear. I wonder also if McLaren will copy Red Bull's curved diffuser.
Saishū kōnā

digitalrurouni

For McLaren the only direction left for them to go is up!!!

PhillipM

M840TR wrote:
17 Dec 2018, 03:41
Can you ask your source if they'll retain the same rear suspension philosophy and modify it, like we saw in Abu Dhabi, or revise it? Also, if there are changes to the nose?
I don't think he'll know on the arm itself but a couple of guys at the composite side might, I'll see if I can find out.
Personally I would assume so - as they'd be able to make the same concept work with better motion ratios than this year with a redesigned gearbox, as godlameroso says.

PhillipM

godlameroso wrote:
17 Dec 2018, 05:02
one very possible outcome is a more compact gearbox.
Gearbox is shorter than this years, so yes.

cyclon

This year's need of redesigned gearbox is a God's gift !
Trust me.... 8)
I loved the iconic McLaren-Honda
But most of all i love McLaren . After all first contact made with M23 that had a Ford Cosworth PU

KingHamilton01

How do they solve there cooling issue's they had in pre-season testing? I can't remember why they had to make cut out's in the engine cover in the end? I remember reading that exhaust bracket's were breaking due to heat but was that from exhaust heat? Clear that the MCL34 need's a total re-think with cooling placement and A bigger Airbox with inlets to channel through.

Gear ratio's is another one where they said they had got those wrong so an obvious one to change, won't be long before we get some sort of sneak preview via there twitter when there doing there seat fitting?
McLaren Mercedes

M840TR

KingHamilton01 wrote:
17 Dec 2018, 23:20
How do they solve there cooling issue's they had in pre-season testing? I can't remember why they had to make cut out's in the engine cover in the end? I remember reading that exhaust bracket's were breaking due to heat but was that from exhaust heat? Clear that the MCL34 need's a total re-think with cooling placement and A bigger Airbox with inlets to channel through.

Gear ratio's is another one where they said they had got those wrong so an obvious one to change, won't be long before we get some sort of sneak preview via there twitter when there doing there seat fitting?
They were running the engine cover too tight and had to cut some holes and install heat managing material above the exhaust so it doesn't burn the body anymore. There were also some vents for the manifold from the sidepod ducts.

CMSMJ1

The car needs a "dead zone" or whatever random phrase was used :)

I want them to be successful - but confidence is low.
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM