2009 design concepts

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
pgj
pgj

Re: 2009 design concepts

@marioF1

Thank you. That is very helpful. =D>
Williams and proud of it.

smirkoff

Great, marioF1,

I'll try to do the adaptation for the front wing of my model following your drawings. The rear wing is right into the measures, although it's only an adaptation of a 2007 wing of a previous model.

Ogami musashi

Smirkof first congratulations for your model.

I'm not quite sure about the squarish sidepods. There's indeed a minimum radius, but curved shape stays possible.
Also please note that the radius imposition only works from 100mm above the RP which is about 50mm above the flat bottom.

Other than that and the front wing as suggested bymarioF1 i think you're spot on.

Thanks again.

bar555

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

Great work once more mariof1 , a 1000 thanks :!:
Future is like walking into past......

Blog : http://formula1techandart.wordpress.com/
Twitter :http://twitter.com/bar555onF1

smirkoff

Also please note that the radius imposition only works from 100mm above the RP which is about 50mm above the flat bottom.
Many thanks, Ogami,

actually I've tried to apply some of the small design freedom permitted by the rules as mentioned by you in my model. It's really curved inwards in the "carbon exposed" part between the end of the sidepod and the step plane, a bit just like it was in the late-2000 season Jordan EJ10, or before in the Minardi 194. The lighting of the scene doesn't help to notice the curved shape at that spot. I hope I'll have some time in the next days to do a revision of the model and render some other views.

Thanks again!!

Ogami musashi

i thank you, this is a great thing to do a full 3D model.

pranav

mariof1 wrote:Ok, this is the rear wing:

Rear or front view

Maximum of two elements in the green area and one in the blue area. Orange is the maximum area for endplates. Bodywork is also permitted in the light green area.

Plan view

Bodywork in the light green area must be between 200 and 400mm above the reference plane

Side view

There must be 330,000mm² of bodywork in the orange area (total is 390,000mm²)
On which yrs regulation is this drawing based? because according to the 2008 technical regulations, it says that
"No part of the car behind the rear wheel centre line may be more than 800mm above the reference plane.

and in this drawing..it looks like the rear wing is 950mm above the reference plane.
can u please explain?

mariof1

In fact it is in accordance with 2009 regulations :wink:

rjsa

mariof1 wrote:In fact it is in accordance with 2009 regulations :wink:
@Mariof1: In the front wing plan view, the proportion between the main profile and the flaps (chord length) is according to the rules or is just an illustration?

TIA,

Ricardo

pranav

Thanks "mariof1"

by the way awesome drawing!!! =D>

mariof1

rjsa wrote:
@Mariof1: In the front wing plan view, the proportion between the main profile and the flaps (chord length) is according to the rules or is just an illustration?

TIA,

Ricardo
I considered the "forbidden areas" to draw the outline of the whole piece, including the diagonal line. I suppose the flap will be in the blue area because it is allowed to be driver-adjustable.

Anyway here's a more informative and accurate sketch:

Green and red areas as explained earlier.

The middle section is limited by some rules regarding number of elements, maximum heights and number of elements that I didn't bother to fully understand. There's also a reference drawing for it, which is not in the pdf rulebook...

The blue section is allowed to be driver-adjustable. In fact, the adjustable bodywork is not limited by the 750mm line paralell to the car center line, but by the inside face of the endplate which must be within the green area. I'm not sure whether there can be more than one element in the blue area.

So, I suppose the grey area is where the main profile will be positioned.

rjsa

Thanks mariof1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The kind of puzzle form that the rules are written in is just too much for me.

Now to the end plates: under the current regs, end plates develop to the back pushing air towards the car center line, trying to clear the flow from the wheels***.

The new arrangement makes this useless:

So, I'd like to hear oppinons on the following:

1-End plates will be neutral.
2-End plates will push flow to the outside of the front wheel.

I'd go wiht 1.

Edit:
***This is what I mean (image from bar555 F2008 thread):

mariof1

You're welcome.

We'll have to wait and see what they come up with. There will eventually be very clever designs, however I can't help hating these regulations.

ESPImperium

One bit of clarification, are Bridge Wings under the 2009 regs outlawed??? or could we see a 2005/6 style halfway house to bridge wings like on the Honda RA106 or Midland F1 or Spyker/FIF1 V8-VIII/VJM-01???

I was also thinking that could the chimneys that are in the high-lighted area on this FIF1 arnt outlawed, am i right???

Ogami musashi

full bridge wings are not allowed but 005 style yes.

chimney are not allowed.

For end plate i think they'll channel the air outer side.

aFaik in the blue and grey area there're no max number oF element.