Aston Martin Red Bull Racing TAG Heuer RB14

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
gandharva

Re: Aston Martin Red Bull Racing TAG Heuer RB14

Godius wrote:
22 Nov 2018, 18:57
dxpetrov wrote:
21 Nov 2018, 12:20
Nobody noticed, but to me big break through happened in Suzuka, where they discovered that they were faster on higher downforce setup, despite previous simulations which showed medium DF to be better. Since then they relatively kept the highest possible DF levels, which is basically their optimum setup, and that helped massively to watch after rubber and be possibly the fastest team in the race, on the expense of slightly slower quali pace.
AMuS posted an article today but I can't seem to find it anymore about the RB14 diffuser. Horner stated that their diffuser did not work optimal until the end of the summer. They discovered that there was a correlation issue with it and after the fix the car behaved perfectly, at the same time they were taking grid penalties for new components.
Here it is:
Red Bull

Daniel Ricciardo also doesn't know why the Red Bull has become a winning car again since three races. "Things are so complex, sport so confusing. I'm sure the engineers know the answer, but maybe they won't tell me anything anymore." Ricciardo praises the aerodynamic development, but says that there is not the one big secret that makes the Red Bull RB14 faster. Team boss Christian Horner becomes a bit clearer: "We were wrong about the diffuser development. We corrected the mistake after the summer break".

A key to the strong shape of the Red Bull is its exceptionally low tyre wear. Even the drivers are surprised: "I drove forwards in Brazil from 11th on the grid, got stuck in traffic and yet the tyres didn't suffer," says Ricciardo. Max Verstappen looks back at the Brazilian GP without regret: "I wouldn't do anything differently. For me, Ocon's manoeuvre was pointless. Two laps later his tyres would have worn off again and he would have had to let me pass again."

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator

bill shoe

Surely this is the best chassis of 2018, and yes I know that zero points are awarded for best chassis.

Everyone improves the parts and setup on their car, but RB always seems to come on relatively stronger in second half of season. Why?

illario

Thinking to my self...Red Bull rake is fake rake :) in the sense that when its on the move acctually there is no rake. Squat! does it mean that: soft rear suspenssion, big rear wing, equals squat, meaning sealing diffuser, and allowing tires to wear where their made to, rather than stiff car making tires wear there where the car wants. Im just thinking to my self whether Squating allows tires to wear more natyrally so to say :)

Drica

illario wrote:
24 Nov 2018, 19:31
Thinking to my self...Red Bull rake is fake rake :) in the sense that when its on the move acctually there is no rake. Squat! does it mean that: soft rear suspenssion, big rear wing, equals squat, meaning sealing diffuser, and allowing tires to wear where their made to, rather than stiff car making tires wear there where the car wants. Im just thinking to my self whether Squating allows tires to wear more natyrally so to say :)
Correct me if im wrong, but i wouldnt say that the rear squats as much because they seem to be scraping the track with the splitter much more than the others, indicating a high rake at high speeds.

Thunder

Remember this is not the Honda vs. Renault Topic. Please keep it about the RB14 in here.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Bandit1216

illario wrote:
24 Nov 2018, 19:31
I have a feeling they do something different. I have seen some data on cornering speeds at apex at a certain track, which is only 1 kph higher then Merc. Top speed of Merc was 10 kph orso lower, so they must make ground at the the first part of the straits where it's not measured (for us watching that is). I think they have a better exit and thus put more radial force in the tyre in-staid of lateral, which these typer cope better wich. Just a theory. Some kind of supper diff perhaps?
But just suppose it weren't hypothetical.

Godius

In this pic the rear of the floor almost looks to be on a lower height than the front wing. Note that this battle with Leclerc was on the start of race with heavily fueled cars. But it kind of looks like they found a way to imitate the FRICS system.

PlatinumZealot

The same can be said for the Sauber too.

Definitely the best chassis of 2018. I was genuinely scared of RedBull in the last races. They get so much more life out of the tyres than anyone else.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

M840TR

PlatinumZealot wrote:
23 Dec 2018, 04:05
The same can be said for the Sauber too.

Definitely the best chassis of 2018. I was genuinely scared of RedBull in the last races. They get so much more life out of the tyres than anyone else.
The Sauber isn't squatting nearly as much, if that's what you're suggesting, because the skid block is rubbing against the track.

carisi2k

wouldn't more sparks mean closer to the ground.

M840TR

carisi2k wrote:
24 Dec 2018, 02:17
wouldn't more sparks mean closer to the ground.
From the front, yes.

carisi2k

If the rear was so far down then the front of the floor should not be causing the sparks

PlatinumZealot

It also depends on who was braking first too, tyre pressures, all sorts of things.
The RedBull suspension is advanced and so is the Ferrari suspension.

Nothing remarkable I would say.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Just_a_fan

The front of the plank is behind the front axle line/contact point. If the rear squats, the front of the plank will get closer to the road too. Unless the front suspension lifts when the rear squats, of course.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

i70q7m7ghw

bill shoe wrote:
24 Nov 2018, 17:41
Surely this is the best chassis of 2018, and yes I know that zero points are awarded for best chassis.

Everyone improves the parts and setup on their car, but RB always seems to come on relatively stronger in second half of season. Why?
Best chassis of the year because it improved in the last quarter of the season?