Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
etusch

Re: Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

lio007

Am I wrong that there are no major differences compared to the 17-unit? At least for my very uneducated eyes!

godlameroso

It's what's inside that counts.
Saishū kōnā

Zynerji

godlameroso wrote:
25 Dec 2018, 05:40
It's what's inside that counts.
And the length! :lol:

carisi2k

The 18 unit is larger then the 17 unit from what I understand. It is however still smaller then the Renault unit and will easily fit in the RB15 and a reason why toro rosso had little issues in getting it in their 2018 chassis.

PlatinumZealot

The exhaust headers especially are bigger. The little oil separator thingy on top is also different. Air intake has a bigger radius. Maybe other external stuff at least. But yes.. It is the inside that counts!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

saviour stivala

Surprised nobody can see at least some of what’s on the inside yet.
I suppose that what actually counts is not what’s on the inside but what actually comes out at the clutch-end of the crankshaft.

Zynerji

PlatinumZealot wrote:
25 Dec 2018, 15:06
The exhaust headers especially are bigger. The little oil separator thingy on top is also different. Air intake has a bigger radius. Maybe other external stuff at least. But yes.. It is the inside that counts!
Do the exhaust headers look to be of equal length to you? To me it looks as if the middle port has a shorter Runner than front and the rear ports.

I guess I would expect them all to be equal.

PhillipM

No, the 'middle' branch you're looking at there loops around underneath and goes to the rearmost cylinder

saviour stivala

Looking forward to Wazari’s updates, insights and informative posts next year now that he is back.

HPD

saviour stivala

Nice and clear pictures.

MarcJ

gruntguru wrote:
18 Dec 2018, 07:27
saviour stivala wrote:
17 Dec 2018, 20:34
MarcJ. While your opinion/s is/are respected It just happens that I do not agree.
You don't agree with what?

MarcJ made several points and I agree with most of them. (Certainly all the technical ones.) Are you saying you disagree with all of them?

There is no point in simply stating that you disagree. When I disagree with something you say, I make the case for my opinion. I don't care if you still disagree - my aim is to present the alternatives so others here can weigh the arguments and form their own opinions.

You have read my opinion on TJI and the modified version that is used in F1. There is no way these engines can run the ultra lean mixture, the high compression ratio and the extreme peak pressures we know they are running - without a fast-burn, stratified charge system like TJI. There is no other concept that can do what TJI does.
KSPG are supplying steel pistons to a OEM for a V6 petrol engine. Now could that be Project One.

There's plenty of published papers on steel piston for gasoline engines published by Ferrari University di Modena. Saverio Barbieri.

Doesn't matter if your combustion of MiLD ultra lean low temperature combustion is in a reciprocating engine or rapid compression machine it's still low temperature below 2000 Kelvin at peak thermal efficiency.
So heat issues of stoichiometry not relevant here.

Ferrari said they used 3D printed steel pistons at Phillip Island in 2017.

MarcJ

saviour stivala wrote:
19 Dec 2018, 20:50
Yes it was me who used the term as nothing more than a “sperk (misspell for spark)-plug musking”. And yes I meant “spark-plug masking”. Something which was used from the very early racing engine of old times, either as an ‘in-build design’ when casting or as a treaded-on adapter. Spark-plug masking/shroud over plug/spark-plug non-fouler/ anti-fouler was first hinted at on here some pages back by Godlameroso.
It's a prechamber where the hot turbulent jets travel out of the prechamber through orifices into main chamber.

Masking the plug is not going to achieve that. The prechamber is cast into head, think that's all I can say.

MarcJ

henry wrote:
19 Dec 2018, 10:14
gruntguru wrote:
19 Dec 2018, 00:31

.... TJI is very different to CVCC. Pre-chamber volume is much smaller.
I feel we ought to be able to calculate the volume. Mahle say their TJI pre-chamber use 2-3% of the fuel consumed. If I assume the AFR in the pre-chamber is 12:1 and in the main chamber 20:1 I get a volume of 4 to 5cc. That doesn’t include the volume of the fuel which may add a little.
Prechamber is nominally 1-2cc for automotive sized cylinders. Prechamber volume had me uncertain for a long while.

There's dozens of papers written by TJI developers from University of Melbourne, Mahle employees, Michigan University where Louise Toulson now based.

Using TJI and clever control models achieving a HCCI like mode and multi phase combustion, post injection after TDC has been studied at University of Melbourne.