Toro Rosso STR14 speculation thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
hollus

Toro Rosso STR14 speculation thread

This is the speculation thread about the 2019 car from Toro Rosso. Rumors, articles, ideas and fantasies about the car can be posted here. Once the car gets officially launched, this thread will be closed and discussion continues in the official thread.
Rivals, not enemies.

Wouter

Re: Toro Rosso STR14 speculation thread

The STR13 (!) wasn't a good car, but I think the STR14 🏎 will be a whole lot better.

Franz Tost [to Racer]: " We need to improve the performance of the car. We are not so happy with the aerodynamic side and we also have to do something on the mechanical side — we know this and I hope that we will go in the right direction.
We reshuffled some departments in the company because we must show a better performance.”

Helmut Marko [MS-Magazine]: "That's why there's another constellation next year. Toro Rosso gets from Red Bull everything, which is allowed according to regulations. The whole rear of the car comes from Red Bull."
The Power of Dreams!

HPD

I remember that Tost said that "TR has a different aerodynamic philosophy".
It will help a lot to use parts of the RB, but there is still a lot of work.

Wouter

HPD wrote:
17 Dec 2018, 12:25
I remember that Tost said that "TR has a different aerodynamic philosophy".
It will help a lot to use parts of the RB, but there is still a lot of work.
The difference in aerodynamic philosophy came from James Key and he no longer works for RB.
Perhaps the remaining design team will use the same philosophy as Newey, but of course I do not know that.
I can only hope for that.
The Power of Dreams!

Zynerji

This car could seriously be the Dark Horse of 2019. If they get the front end aerodynamics right, they could literally be within a tenth of a second from Red Bull. And if that happens, they can be finishing above fourth place.

Wouter

Zynerji wrote:
23 Dec 2018, 06:06
This car could seriously be the Dark Horse of 2019. If they get the front end aerodynamics right, they could literally be within a tenth of a second from Red Bull. And if that happens, they can be finishing above fourth place.
The question is whether the design team of STR is good enough to design a good car, now that James Key is no longer working at STR.
The whole back of the car comes from RBR, but the rest will have to fit in well (aerodynamic) and will they succeed in that?
The floor will be very important. Who is designing that?
Does anyone know if RBR will help/advise them with the total car design?
The Power of Dreams!

FrukostScones

I think it will be Haas Ferrari style coop.

it will be an RB clone. And that will be great to see.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Wouter

Helmut Marko about James Key and the STR14.

Helmut Marko explains: "It was Mateschitz 'job to create synergies, it's not possible that we have almost the same technical team in Faenza as in Milton Keynes in terms of number of people, then we worked out concepts not fully implemented to this day. "

To use these synergies so consistently is a course that was not supported by Key.
"It can not be that we have almost the same technical team in Faenza as in Milton Keynes." Helmut Marko

"One factor was that James Key was not so happy with these concepts, all in all the solution we wanted was finally there, and that was easier without James Key."

The location of Faenza, which has been expanded and modernized over the past few years, will not be upgraded in importance as a result of this rapprochement between Red Bull and Toro Rosso. And because Newey, at least to the outside, has not communicated a withdrawal date, Key may not have seen a medium-term perspective for himself.

Toro Rosso, on the other hand, did not want to afford an expensive technical director if the car came from Milton Keynes to a large extent anyway. Just recently, three trucks were at the door in Faenza, with parts of the RB14 from the UK. Toro Rosso is currently building the 2019 car out of it.

A technical director with his own technical concepts is not required for this budget-friendly way of doing Formula 1 with Toro Rosso. "The position will not be filled," explains Marko. "The technical director in this sense is no longer necessary because the concept of Red Bull Racing comes."

https://www.motorsport-total.com/formel ... t-18122501
The Power of Dreams!

tok-tokkie

I can't understand what he was saying. Anybody care to clarify?

ME4ME

The article states that Key has been set aside not only because he is going to Mclaren, who will likely pay a hefty sum for him, but also because he had lost support at Toro Rosso's Faenza factory.

Mateschitz has ordered Red Bull and Toro Rosso to find syngeries and share what can be shared within the regulations. Marko is quoted: It cannot be that we have similar engineering teams in both Faenza and Milton Keys when it comes to head count.

Key is said not be have been in favour of the groups new approach [whereby Toro Rosso becomes more dependable of Red Bull]. With Key set aside, the transition became easier.

Toro Rosso is said not to look for a replacement, because the overall concept of the car will from now on be supplied by Red Bull and Toro Rosso do no longer require an expensive technical director.

Apparently 3 trucks have been spotted at Faenza delivering RB14-components designated for Toro Rosso's 2019 challenger.

Marko also states that they currently have not reached the full extent of the intented cooperation.

DiogoBrand

I'm sorry if I missed something. There's a lot of talk about cooperation between Red Bull and Toro Rosso. Has there been a change in regulations to allow for closer cooperation between constructors or does this apply only to designs that were always allowed to be supplied from one team to another?

carisi2k

I have no problem with it as in the old days ferrari, lotus, cooper and others all sold chassis to different teams. It is a good way to reduce costs.

tok-tokkie

Many thanks ME4ME. Now I understand & that is very interesting info.

nevill3

All this talk of the whole rear end being supplied by RedBull to Toro Rosso forgets to menbtion that many other parts will come too. The drive train, gearbox and front suspension could be the same too. Only the chassis has to be designed by themselves and not another current racing team or a previously raced chassis ( of another team) either.
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

gandharva

The chassis will be "RB14B". Literally.