Mercedes Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
dren

Re: Mercedes Power Unit Hardware & Software

Honda!

PlatinumZealot

There is almost no visible collectors for the exhaust pipes! The collectors are pretty far back if there at all. Would be pretty crazy if it was almost inside of the turbocharger itself!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

63l8qrrfy6

It's very smart how they have tucked the conical collectors behind the engine for aero reasons, unlike Honda who had to compromise on that ugly pitchfork junction. I see Merc's idea being copied at some point next season.

saviour stivala

The collector is hidden by the shielding, it is just about past the halfway to the exhaust turbine scroll.

Blackout

It's similar to Ferrari AFAIR.. the 3 headers of each bank merge inside the bell housing of the Gbox, not before penetrating the casing... atleast in their 2016 or 2017 PU.
http://sf.viepratique.fr/wp-content/upl ... n-3_FR.jpg
http://www.racecar-engineering.com/wp-c ... pass41.jpg

zibby43

La Gazzetta dello Sport (not a source that I'm familiar with) has reported that a brand new, "deeply redesigned" power unit has been produced at Mercedes' Brixworth engine headquarters, "keeping little" of the 2018 unit.

The Italian newspaper said Merc has made quite a bit of progress with respect to energy recovery, accounting for 12 hp extra with no increase in fuel consumption.

zokipirlo

zibby43 wrote:
15 Jan 2019, 09:03
La Gazzetta dello Sport (not a source that I'm familiar with) has reported that a brand new, "deeply redesigned" power unit has been produced at Mercedes' Brixworth engine headquarters, "keeping little" of the 2018 unit.

The Italian newspaper said Merc has made quite a bit of progress with respect to energy recovery, accounting for 12 hp extra with no increase in fuel consumption.
My speculation, but I think they found about it here. Could be also a reason why Arrivabene had to go.

zibby43

zokipirlo wrote:
15 Jan 2019, 12:53
zibby43 wrote:
15 Jan 2019, 09:03

My speculation, but I think they found about it here. Could be also a reason why Arrivabene had to go.
I'm not sure I follow your post, in relation to mine.

Are you implying that Mercedes is replicating Ferrari's energy recovery strategy from last year?

If so, I don't think it's that simple.

zokipirlo

zibby43 wrote:
16 Jan 2019, 23:12
I'm not sure I follow your post, in relation to mine.

Are you implying that Mercedes is replicating Ferrari's energy recovery strategy from last year?

If so, I don't think it's that simple.
It's not simple, that's why they had to redesign everything. Make sense to me. Why would you redesign PU if you didn't found much better solution and risk reliability problems?

b2bL44

Hi All,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I have a question with regards to the Merc 2018 PU.

I seem to recall reading about a part of the Merc PU being banned very early on in the 2018 season. It was around the time of testing or prior to the Melbourne GP.

I think I read it on this forum, may have also been in an article by Mark Hughes.

Can anyone provide further info?
I like headbuttin’ journos an´ I can not lie.
You otha brothas can´t deny.
That when a journo walks in wit´ some bait an´
A hook right in yo´ face. You get SMACKED.

saviour stivala

Wolff has revealed why Mercedes underperformed in Belgium 'We brought an upgrade to the power unit in SPA that we didn't quite understand yet, it was a work in progress in how to deploy the energy in the right way'.

Jejking

saviour stivala wrote:
25 Jan 2019, 10:51
Wolff has revealed why Mercedes underperformed in Belgium 'We brought an upgrade to the power unit in SPA that we didn't quite understand yet, it was a work in progress in how to deploy the energy in the right way'.
Did they take the upgrade off the car before Q/R? I'm trying to get my tired head around that subject, what the right way was. The Ferrari way?

dans79

what way is correct and what is wrong, would entirely depend on your ICE's Power delivery curves.
197 104 103 7

Marble

Interesting stuff about engine modes (the previous article regarding the other functionalities is worth a read as well) :

https://blog.autoplus.fr/moncet/2019/01 ... -hamilton/

ME4ME

Thanks for sharing Marble.