2018 Mercedes AMG Petronas Formula One Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Just_a_fan

Re: 2018 Mercedes AMG Petronas Formula One Team

If they thought he'd broken the law, they'd have pulled his MBE...

Interesting that Southgate gets an OBE for "leading" the England team to the amazing heights of fourth place at the World Cup. A footballer who has worked for years to stop racism in football gets only an MBE.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

NathanOlder

Just_a_fan wrote:
31 Dec 2018, 20:20
If they thought he'd broken the law, they'd have pulled his MBE...

Interesting that Southgate gets an OBE for "leading" the England team to the amazing heights of fourth place at the World Cup. A footballer who has worked for years to stop racism in football gets only an MBE.
I thought Tax evasion was illegal ?
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Just_a_fan

If he had evaded tax, the tax man would have taken him to court. The incident happened 5+ years ago and no action has been taken. Ergo, he hasn't broken the law.

Find something else to dislike him for...
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

NathanOlder

Just_a_fan wrote:
31 Dec 2018, 22:21
If he had evaded tax, the tax man would have taken him to court. The incident happened 5+ years ago and no action has been taken. Ergo, he hasn't broken the law.

And I'm his biggest fan #-o
I was just saying about all the agro he had over his private jet that only surfaceda year ago.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

Raleigh

Just_a_fan wrote:
31 Dec 2018, 22:21

Exactly, tax avoidance is different from tax evasion.

GrandAxe

Tax matters can't be the reason Lewis wasn't honoured, he's already been honoured with an MBE in a previous year when he 'd achieved much less. He should get another award in time though.

You can also bet that all those involved in honours decisions are in one legal tax dodge or the other, its what the rich do. The poor pay tax; and that's only because they can't afford the fee's for legal loopholes.

NathanOlder

So the Tax avoidance on his jet that was revealed about 13months ago has nothing to do with it. In that time he has become a 4 and 5 time world champion, and put himself ahead of any british driver ever in the history of the sport and has probably been the best british sportsperson in the last decade. I cant think of any other reason, Nearly all rich people are involved in Tax Avoidance, which is finding legal loopholes to reduce Tax. I thought Lewis was meant to have been involved (his finance people) in Tax Evasion. He got his MBE over 10 years ago so that was a long time before he was involved in any dodgy tax shenanigans with his jet.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

ME4ME

I don't know anything about these British titles, nor can I be bothered. But as with most of these things, achievements are often recognized first after a certain period of time has passed. These things aren't rushed and given away like chocolate bars. It might take another 10 years for Hamilton to get any further official recognition..

Big Tea

ME4ME wrote:
02 Jan 2019, 15:40
I don't know anything about these British titles, nor can I be bothered. But as with most of these things, achievements are often recognized first after a certain period of time has passed. These things aren't rushed and given away like chocolate bars. It might take another 10 years for Hamilton to get any further official recognition..
They usually need someone to champion the cause. Previously Ron Dennis would have done so, not sure who 'has the ear' now that Bernie is gone.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

NathanOlder

Andy Murray got an OBE (higher than Hamilton) for winning Wimbledon a couple of times. Personally I'd put Wimbledon level with winning the Monaco GP or British GP for a British driver.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

SiLo

Mudflap wrote:
08 Dec 2018, 01:30
SiLo wrote:
07 Dec 2018, 14:24
Big Tea wrote:
06 Dec 2018, 00:32
I wonder if anything could be read into the fact that Hewlett Packard parted company with Williams end of 2005?

They really seem to have a finger on the pulse and Mercedes definitely seem to believe they bring something.
Hoping I will find out next week. Got invited to an HPE event at Merc HQ which includes a factory tour!
It's really good, if you get picked up from reception I'd recommend getting there early to have a good look at the 2015/ 2016 engines which are displayed just as you walk in. Also just behind the reception desk there is a 500i and a F1 V8 too, these are a bit out of the way and many visitors don't get to see them.

Then into the restaurant make sure to check out the current era pistons, turbo wheels and finger followers as well as another F1 V8.

If you are given the shop floor tour there is another nice display just as you leave the restaurant showing a V8 head, block and crank.

The building across the road from reception has Rosberg's championship winning engine displayed on the rop floor.

They have a few older F1 cars above the reception, on the restaurant wall and on the ground floor of the building with Rosberg's engine.
It was the Brackley HQ but we didn't get to see any engines. Was mostly in the Silver Arrows lounge after the tour which was really nice. I will make a post about my visit later.
Felipe Baby!