2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
M840TR

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Renault says the gains it is seeing from its 2019 Formula 1 car and engine are the biggest it has ever made over a winter.
The gains that we will be making on the engine are much bigger than we have ever done in a winter – much bigger – and the gains that we are currently doing in the wind tunnel are much bigger than we have ever done.

There will be one or two generations of people who will have passed with the next generation of car that we will see next year, and that is frankly is why I am excited.

"We have a level of resource that is in my opinion good for what we need to do.

"There is stability of the organisation, there are new people and new faces that have finally joined us, and who understand the organisation, and are now working efficiently.

"So now it is positive, even if the challenge is huge."
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/rena ... y/4319231/

M840TR

Big Tea wrote:
04 Jan 2019, 11:57
proteus wrote:
04 Jan 2019, 11:45
Dont know what is wrong with orange and simple livery design. If we take a Ferrari as an example, they looked much better when they were simply red, now with all that random white color they look like cheap plastic ripoff toy cars.
I 100% agree with this. The nicest and most recognizable car was the plain blue Sauber. I loved it.
many Sign-written cars remind me of a wall covered with 'tag' like the underpass, in particular the Ferrari mirror sign writing. Looks like someone who thinks themselves 'artful' found an aerosol of white.
It's recognizable sure but not exactly aggressive like the West liveries or even the Mp4-31 one.

bauc

This is good news for Mclaren, and hopefully they will have decent chassis this year so they can fight for top 10
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

Big Tea

M840TR wrote:
04 Jan 2019, 12:00
Big Tea wrote:
04 Jan 2019, 11:57
proteus wrote:
04 Jan 2019, 11:45
Dont know what is wrong with orange and simple livery design. If we take a Ferrari as an example, they looked much better when they were simply red, now with all that random white color they look like cheap plastic ripoff toy cars.
I 100% agree with this. The nicest and most recognizable car was the plain blue Sauber. I loved it.
many Sign-written cars remind me of a wall covered with 'tag' like the underpass, in particular the Ferrari mirror sign writing. Looks like someone who thinks themselves 'artful' found an aerosol of white.
It's recognizable sure but not exactly aggressive like the West liveries or even the Mp4-31 one.
But why aggressive? Recognition is why they are there.
The sales team go to a company and show something covered on blotches of color and it does not immediately ring a bell in the bosses head. (RBR may be the possible exception) They then do not see an mediate connection to their brand.

JPS is a prefect example. Black and gold = JPS for half a century
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Jackles-UK

Renault were approximately (depending on the reports you believe) anywhere from 50-80bhp down on the front running PU’s when they got put into their qualifying modes. Even a jump of 50bhp over the winter as has been reported will only match the other PU’s from last year which are likely to be a step behind the 2019 offerings from Mercedes & Ferrari anyway. You’d rather have the power than not of course but I still can’t see Renault keeping pace on power circuits.

In terms of livery I will add that, whilst I do like the papaya, the special farewell livery for Alonso in Abu Dhabi was much more visually appealing with a little splash of colour. Hoping they go down that route.

M840TR

Jackles-UK wrote:
04 Jan 2019, 15:51
Renault were approximately (depending on the reports you believe) anywhere from 50-80bhp down on the front running PU’s when they got put into their qualifying modes. Even a jump of 50bhp over the winter as has been reported will only match the other PU’s from last year which are likely to be a step behind the 2019 offerings from Mercedes & Ferrari anyway. You’d rather have the power than not of course but I still can’t see Renault keeping pace on power circuits.

In terms of livery I will add that, whilst I do like the papaya, the special farewell livery for Alonso in Abu Dhabi was much more visually appealing with a little splash of colour. Hoping they go down that route.
I'd say 80hp is a bit of a stretch but the reports of 40-50hp in qualy and 15-20 in race are believable.

RonDennis

Jackles-UK wrote:
04 Jan 2019, 15:51

That's according to Red Bull. They also said that the Honda is 0,6 sec a lap quicker. :lol:

If Renault actually finds 50bhp they have done a great job, it's as simple as that.

ME4ME

Just for reference, what Renault themselves have said:
"We're missing about 15 to 20 kilowatts of engine power [20-27bhp] in the race, which under certain conditions could be made up for by the Red Bull chassis," Abiteboul told Auto Motor und Sport.

"In qualifying we estimate our deficit at 40 kilowatts [53bhp], and that's significant.
https://www.gpfans.com/en/articles/3655 ... t-in-2019/

godlameroso

Renault probably focused on this year's engine(2019) over making gains during the season(2018). So we likely will see a decent step over last year. I wonder if Petrobras fuel will hurt McLaren, or help them as in Renault is using resources from both petrochemical companies to develop the power unit.
Saishū kōnā

M840TR

godlameroso wrote:
06 Jan 2019, 14:08
Renault probably focused on this year's engine(2019) over making gains during the season(2018). So we likely will see a decent step over last year. I wonder if Petrobras fuel will hurt McLaren, or help them as in Renault is using resources from both petrochemical companies to develop the power unit.
They have a better relationship with Mclaren than RedBull so maybe that'll help Petrobras gain more dyno time or cooperate closer with the engineers.

NathanOlder

I really want to see the 2 teams (Mclaren and Renault) involved in close battles at some tracks in the top 6. Like Red Bull have done the last few years. Hopefully we get Merc / Ferrari / RedBull all equal at the front, and at some tracks Renault and Mclaren join them for battles [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o<
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

godlameroso

McLaren was hesitant to share technical details with Honda, but to have a chance to thrive again, they're forced into doing just that with Renault. Fate it seems is not without a sense of irony.
Saishū kōnā

M840TR

godlameroso wrote:
06 Jan 2019, 22:24
McLaren was hesitant to share technical details with Honda, but to have a chance to thrive again, they're forced into doing just that with Renault. Fate it seems is not without a sense of irony.
I wouldn't exactly buy into Tost's words verbatim. Honda had a chassis of their own at Sakura and any information they wanted. It wasn't that Mclaren refused to share info - they had no reason not to - but as Brawn said, the Japanese are a bit detached from the world of F1 and that's likely the reason they didn't demand the data they should have.
They needed the right people to get them reintroduced to F1, like Ross. Even in the v8 era Honda thought they had a good engine, but coming from Ferrari he knew that wasn't the case.

godlameroso

M840TR wrote:
07 Jan 2019, 10:01
godlameroso wrote:
I wouldn't exactly buy into Tost's words verbatim. Honda had a chassis of their own at Sakura and any information they wanted. It wasn't that Mclaren refused to share info - they had no reason not to - but as Brawn said, the Japanese are a bit detached from the world of F1 and that's likely the reason they didn't demand the data they should have.
They needed the right people to get them reintroduced to F1, like Ross. Even in the v8 era Honda thought they had a good engine, but coming from Ferrari he knew that wasn't the case.
I figured that they didn't want to share info as they are both automotive companies. Granted Honda isn't really competing with McLaren, aside from the NSX they're a different class of cars. Still I think they were weary of sharing freely because of this. Red Bull is not an automotive manufacturer, so perhaps that is why their relationship is different. That and they kind of have their backs against a wall, so they have little choice.
Saishū kōnā

M840TR

godlameroso wrote:
07 Jan 2019, 12:21
M840TR wrote:
07 Jan 2019, 10:01
godlameroso wrote:
I figured that they didn't want to share info as they are both automotive companies. Granted Honda isn't really competing with McLaren, aside from the NSX they're a different class of cars. Still I think they were weary of sharing freely because of this. Red Bull is not an automotive manufacturer, so perhaps that is why their relationship is different. That and they kind of have their backs against a wall, so they have little choice.
If they were direct competitors in any way, the corporate bosses wouldn't have allowed a partnership in the first place. As a non manufacturer F1 team RedBull-Honda partnership does seem more natural, but Mclaren wasn't ever a challenger for Honda in the markets and vice versa.