General Honda F1 Topic

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Alexf1

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

Maybe Honda only takes on outside companies/people for specific projects/problems.
So if Illien was taken on only for helping them to solve the spec 3 oscillation problem his job is now done cause Marko said it was taken care of. (Whether it was Illien's idea or Honda that solved it).
And my guess is that Honda has learned enough from AVL so they can do it on their own now like Ferrari.

Capharol

Alexf1 wrote:
05 Jan 2019, 15:06
Maybe Honda only takes on outside companies/people for specific projects/problems.
So if Illien was taken on only for helping them to solve the spec 3 oscillation problem his job is now done cause Marko said it was taken care of. (Whether it was Illien's idea or Honda that solved it).
And my guess is that Honda has learned enough from AVL so they can do it on their own now like Ferrari.
that would be my guess aswell, and Autobild blew the headline out of proportion (as all Bild-Group newspapers do).
Saying RB has a problem with Honda but in fact Honda had a problem with AVL, just like Ferrari did :roll:

Capharol

ispano6 wrote:
05 Jan 2019, 07:38
This is a general topic that encompasses the general feel of Honda fans and the drivers that will be under Honda fans microscope.

Don't see why it needs to be so heavily scrutinized. If it doesn't tickle your pickle just carry on.

Certainly not as bad as the honda engine thread that has become an engine knowledge ego trip.
Honda is this topic (means to me non technical part of Honda)
Kvyat can be discussed in the Torro Roso thread (in my opinion)

RonDennis

Alexf1 wrote:
That's not what he said. "Appropriate measures have been initiated."

The article states Honda NOW wants to fix these problems themselves. I still find it amazing that people have so much faith in Honda, while they have produced 4 engines that clearly weren't good enough. The vibrations also explain why the racepace of the Toro Rosso cars were so piss poor.

I really hope they will get their --- together, because F1 can't loose Honda and the two Red Bull teams.

nzjrs

RonDennis wrote:
05 Jan 2019, 18:04
I really hope they will get their --- together, because F1 can't loose Honda and the two Red Bull teams.
It was already together last year

Snorked

Alexf1 wrote:
Article smells of BS. Honda solved the spec 3 vibrations with new software post mexico - https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=2018 ... 9-rcg-moto

I don't think Illien is a software programmer, so what did he do at Honda? Maybe Wazari could shed some light...

Talisman read the Motorfan article that's in the engine thread and posted a summary on Autosport forum.

The bit about vibrations:
Spec 3 performance gains were far in excess of what was expected and that resulted in problems balancing that with the reliability. In Russia the spec 3 suffered from oscillation issues just after upshifts as the revs dropped. This has been resolved completely and they are confident this problem won't recur for 2019.

RonDennis

Snorked wrote:
05 Jan 2019, 19:21
Alexf1 wrote:
Article smells of BS. Honda solved the spec 3 vibrations with new software post mexico - https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=2018 ... 9-rcg-moto

I don't think Illien is a software programmer, so what did he do at Honda? Maybe Wazari could shed some light...

Talisman read the Motorfan article that's in the engine thread and posted a summary on Autosport forum.

The bit about vibrations:
Spec 3 performance gains were far in excess of what was expected and that resulted in problems balancing that with the reliability. In Russia the spec 3 suffered from oscillation issues just after upshifts as the revs dropped. This has been resolved completely and they are confident this problem won't recur for 2019.
Yeah, they could also have solved the vibrations by reducing the power output, that's also a solution. It should explain why their pace in races has been so piss poor or their ERS still sucks. You have to wonder what teams like Mercedes and Ferrari doing by introducing new, reliable and fast engines.

Wouter wrote:
05 Jan 2019, 10:12
jesa7271 wrote:
05 Jan 2019, 09:08
here we go again

https://www.autobild.de/artikel/formel- ... 24171.html
Marko also said that the collaboration between ex-Mercedes engine boss Mario Illien (69) and Honda would be limited. Honda had hired the Swiss engine genius to combat the strong vibrations of the Honda internal combustion engine. The result is that the full power of the Japanese hybrid engine, whose horsepower theoretically should be higher than that of the Renault engine, could never be fully retrieved. Apparently Illien did not have the brilliant idea. Honda wants to solve the problems now anyway alone. Marko is in this case very clear: "For this purpose, appropriate measures have been initiated."
The question is whether it is about the 2019 engine and whether the problems have already been solved or are they working on it to solve it, because that is not very clear.
The article clearly states that Honda NOW wants to fix their problems on their own.

JordanMugen

RonDennis wrote:
05 Jan 2019, 20:50
You have to wonder what teams like Mercedes and Ferrari doing by introducing new, reliable and fast engines.
You don't seem to appreciate the power units, just like the chassis, requires an iterative development process.

yener

Honestly, it would make sense because.. common the race pace was horrible. Using full power over 1 lap in Q1 and Q2 is not a big risk. But i you go 50+ laps with full power and having vibrations you know the engine won't make it to the end.

Also, i remember Carlos Sainz telling in an interview they they don't worry about Honda. He litterely said: in Qualifying they are strong, but we are in front in terms of race pace. Now tell me; how is that possible. Is the Honda engine not fuel efficient enough so they have turn the engine down? Or is it because the engine can't handle the power and is vibrating?
"Life is about passions - Thank you for sharing mine" MSC

yener

By the way, that guy on the honda Engine topic has some nice words, but i don't believe it yet. Why?.. because he told the same things every season when they suplied McLaren. Just his old comment's.
"Life is about passions - Thank you for sharing mine" MSC

munudeges

Snorked wrote:

I don't think Illien is a software programmer, so what did he do at Honda? Maybe Wazari could shed some light..
I remember taking some flack for saying the Honda in the Torro Rosso was absolutely nothing like the Hondas in the McLaren's since 2015. Something changed markedly, and it happened just before McLaren's split. The move to Red Bull had been in motion for some time. They had clearly brought someone in with much more experience to lead.

Asking what Illien does is one of the most laughable things I've ever seen written. Solving problems such as engine vibrations doesn't just get solved via software, and they are pains to track down. They have to be troubleshooted first. To now be dispensing with that track record of experience does not seem wise.

etusch

munudeges wrote:
06 Jan 2019, 03:46
Snorked wrote:

I don't think Illien is a software programmer, so what did he do at Honda? Maybe Wazari could shed some light..
I remember taking some flack for saying the Honda in the Torro Rosso was absolutely nothing like the Hondas in the McLaren's since 2015. Something changed markedly, and it happened just before McLaren's split. The move to Red Bull had been in motion for some time. They had clearly brought someone in with much more experience to lead.

Asking what Illien does is one of the most laughable things I've ever seen written. Solving problems such as engine vibrations doesn't just get solved via software, and they are pains to track down. They have to be troubleshooted first. To now be dispensing with that track record of experience does not seem wise.
So vibrations because of bad part production?

Capharol

etusch wrote:
06 Jan 2019, 07:31
munudeges wrote:
06 Jan 2019, 03:46
Snorked wrote:

So vibrations because of bad part production?
i thought the vibrations were from the mapping issue, not sure, but I might have read something in that direction.
Something with that they haven't done all the mapping because it was all on short notice.

could be mistaken tho

poolboy67

i'm sure everyone here knows what is the cause for hondas problems and how to fix them. or at the very least, better than honda themselves.

...that said, might as well, given how piss poor their reliability still is.

8 icu for both gasly and hartley last season.... EIGHT! almost two times more as is allowed without penalties. hopeless. utterly hopeless.

i'll be sad to see RB go.
i have dyslexia and english is not my native language. please be gentle.

PlatinumZealot

Who cares about 2018?!

The plan was always to use it as a testing year. 2020 is when the real battle begins.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏