Renault Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Tommy Cookers

Re: Renault Power Unit Hardware & Software

Brake Horse Power wrote:
08 Jan 2019, 21:07
.... wastegate open ......The exhaust pulsation can maybe also be better utilisied as in a NA engine...
if the wastegate is open the mean exhaust pressure is maybe 1.05 bar
if the wastegate is closed the mean exhaust pressure is maybe 4.05 bar

even with an active turbine surely the 4.05 bar stream has bigger pulse reflections available than the 1.05 bar stream does ?
what did the 80s F1 turbo engines do ? (though they might have had no use for the benefit as they didn't recover power)

ok the 4.05 bar stream the pulse energy has less energy relative to the steady flow energy (than does 1.05 bar stream)
because less of the 4.05 stream's flow will be choked as the gas acceleration will be less due to the higher density
Last edited by Tommy Cookers on 08 Jan 2019, 22:36, edited 1 time in total.

djos

Tommy Cookers wrote:
08 Jan 2019, 21:49
Brake Horse Power wrote:
.... wastegate open ......The exhaust pulsation can maybe also be better utilisied as in a NA engine...

even with an active turbine surely the 4.05 bar stream has bigger pulse reflections available than the 1.05 bar stream does ?
what did the 80s F1 turbo engines do ? (though they might have had no use for the benefit as they didn't recover power)
Iirc they had blown diffusers in the 80's turbo era.
"In downforce we trust"

henry

Tommy Cookers wrote:
Brake Horse Power wrote:

ok the 4.05 bar stream the pulse energy has less energy relative to the steady flow energy (than does 1.05 bar stream)
because less of the 4.05 stream's flow will be choked as the gas acceleration will be less due to the higher density
So the wastegate opening impacts 3 areas of performance?

It reduces the pressure in the exhaust stream by providing a freer flow route than solely going across the impeller. ICE crank output goes up, turbine output goes down.

It changes the tuned pressure wave reflections in the exhaust system that aid cylinder filling (I believe this is what you are referring to). ICE performance goes down?

It changes the kinetic energy of the exhaust stream (density down) that drives the blowdown stage in the turbine. Turbine output goes down.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

godlameroso

Tommy Cookers wrote:
Brake Horse Power wrote:

Are pressure waves affected by higher inertia due to increased mass flow?
Saishū kōnā

dren

Wave velocity increases when exhaust gas velocity increases, if that's what you're asking, assuming density and temperature stays the same.
Honda!

63l8qrrfy6

Pretty sure wave velocity is always local speed of sound.

PlatinumZealot

The fact that all the Manufacturers spent time redesigning their waste-gates each season certainly shows they are integral for performance. The Ferrari and Mercedes has very noticeable waste gate sounds over the course of the lap.Whatever trickery they do with them besides boost control and electric supercharging beats me.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Tommy Cookers

henry wrote:
09 Jan 2019, 11:37
So the wastegate opening ......
It changes the tuned pressure wave reflections in the exhaust system that aid cylinder filling (I believe this is what you are referring to). ICE performance goes down?
imo
2x 3 tuned length headers should work equally well (gains proportionate to exhaust pressure) for either exhaust pressure
ie wastegate closed the F1 engine would have free supercharge potential of eg (1.25 -1) x 4 atm
and wastegate open would have free supercharge potential of (1.25 -1) x 1 atm
(but a pipe with the turbine upstream of the tuned length point only (1.25-1) x 1 atm free supercharge wastegate closed)

EDIT (and tbf some the 25% tuned length benefit is from the inlet side)
ie wastegate closed the free supercharge reduces substantially the compressor work needed from the turbine and H motor
substantially increasing H recovery
Last edited by Tommy Cookers on 09 Jan 2019, 19:47, edited 2 times in total.

e36jon

Mudflap wrote:
09 Jan 2019, 18:35
Greetings Mudflap

I believe it works like this: If you're in an airliner going 700mph, the speed of sound inside is what it is (Driven by temp, pressure, etc.). Seen from the outside though, the speed of your sound inside the airplane is + or - 700mph.

Same thing in an intake or exhaust manifold: The bulk air is moving, and the speed of sound is what it is within that bulk air, but is seen by external elements as + or - the speed of the bulk air.

Or I am completely wrong and must go sit in the corner...

Jon "Blowing hot air"

godlameroso

Tommy Cookers wrote:
09 Jan 2019, 19:29
henry wrote:
09 Jan 2019, 11:37
So the wastegate opening ......
imo
2x 3 tuned length headers should work equally well (gains proportionate to exhaust pressure) for either exhaust pressure
ie wastegate closed the F1 engine would have free supercharge potential of eg (1.25 -1) x 4 atm
and wastegate open would have free supercharge potential of (1.25 -1) x 1 atm
(bit a pipe with the turbine upstream of the tuned length point only (1.25-1) x 1 atm free supercharge or worse wastegate closed)

ie wastegate closed the free supercharge reduces substantially the compressor work needed from the turbine and H motor
substantially increasing H recovery
Ties in very nicely with balancing ICE power and MGU-H power.
Saishū kōnā

Big Tea

e36jon wrote:
09 Jan 2019, 19:38
Mudflap wrote:
09 Jan 2019, 18:35
Greetings Mudflap

I believe it works like this: If you're in an airliner going 700mph, the speed of sound inside is what it is (Driven by temp, pressure, etc.). Seen from the outside though, the speed of your sound inside the airplane is + or - 700mph.

Same thing in an intake or exhaust manifold: The bulk air is moving, and the speed of sound is what it is within that bulk air, but is seen by external elements as + or - the speed of the bulk air.

Or I am completely wrong and must go sit in the corner...

Jon "Blowing hot air"
Is it not Dependant on air (or medium) density?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Tommy Cookers

the thing we call the speed of sound in air is driven by temperature not pressure

btw and imo
blowdown is a choked process
that is why they can use both wastegate open and wastegate closed with the same EVO timing
dropping mean exhaust pressure from 4 bar to 1 bar makes little difference to blowdown ie doesn't demand later EVO timing
(and blowdown would still be a choked process if the exhaust valves were infinitely large and opened instantaneously)
because it takes a disproportionate pressure for the gas to accelerate itself to scavenge the cylinder in less than 1 millisec
the early velocity (of this pressure pulse aka 'shock wave') is supersonic

PlatinumZealot

Define blowdown...

I have only seen this word in very old PV graphs... for turbocharged 2 strokes? But never saw a good explanation. Granted, I have not really tried researching that term too much.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

henry

PlatinumZealot wrote:
10 Jan 2019, 20:55
Define blowdown...

I have only seen this word in very old PV graphs... for turbocharged 2 strokes? But never saw a good explanation. Granted, I have not really tried researching that term too much.
Fortunately there’s a whole thread on the topic

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=20312
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

PlatinumZealot

henry wrote:
10 Jan 2019, 21:18
PlatinumZealot wrote:
10 Jan 2019, 20:55
Define blowdown...

Fortunately there’s a whole thread on the topic

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=20312
Nope! I remember that thread! I won't re-enter!

There was no clear answer.. I have a Pressure-Volume graph with blow-down featured on it, which I might post if anyone is interested.. and some other very old references. But I would like a clear definition for everyone to be able to join the discussion. It's mostly the old-heads you hear with this blow-down term.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏