2019 performance speculation

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Wouter

Re: 2019 performance speculation

GPR -A wrote:
12 Jan 2019, 08:35
Because the rate of reliability at which they finished the 2018 season, they might need another 8 to 9 PUs to finish 2019.
That seems quite a lot to me.
It seems that you think that the Honda factories are closed between Abu Dhabi and the wintertest in Barcelona.
The Power of Dreams!

mclaren111

Manoah2u wrote:
12 Jan 2019, 03:10
1. Mercedes
2. RedBull
3. Renault
4. Ferrari
5. Sauber
6. Renault
7. Haas
8. Racing Point
9. Toro Rosso
10. Williams
Mclaren ?? :o :o

Manoah2u

oops! lol

in front of toro rosso, as toro rosso is being used as a laboratory for RB :P
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

GoranF1

1. Mercedes
2. Ferrari
3. Renault
4. Redbull
5.Mclaren
6. Williams
7. Force India
8. Haas
9. Sauber
10. Torrorosso

-Fight for title between Hamilton and Leclerk.
-World will finnaly see what i said in 2010...Vettel can not win anything whitout Adrian Newey and/or a car that is 0.7 faster then the next fastest car.
- Vettel will get fired at the end of the season.
- Renault factory team will surprise, invest big money into budget and overtake relialbiltiy destroyed RB.
- the smile on Ricciardo's face will not come off all year.
- Williams will also plesently surprise
-Mclaren will have good car, good chassis and good PU but 2 avg drivers
- Honda PU will make a step back compared to 2018
-by the time of Barcelona, Horner will start to criticize Honda
- Helmut Marko will sabotage Piere Gasly's clutch everytime he outqualifiyes Max
- Haas will disapoint
- Force India will have 2 pay drivers(need i say more?)
- Sauber will take a step back compared to 2018 whit the car but Kimi will take some points
-Torro rosso will have problems whit PU all year long.
- Toyota will confirm interest in F1 return, Alonso will be involved.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

GPR-A

Wouter wrote:
12 Jan 2019, 10:12
GPR -A wrote:
12 Jan 2019, 08:35
Because the rate of reliability at which they finished the 2018 season, they might need another 8 to 9 PUs to finish 2019.
That seems quite a lot to me.
It seems that you think that the Honda factories are closed between Abu Dhabi and the wintertest in Barcelona.
Based on results of all these years, I would actually think it's closed ever since they started! :)

Capharol

GoranF1 wrote:
12 Jan 2019, 14:21
1. Mercedes
2. Ferrari
3. Renault
4. Redbull
5.Mclaren
6. Williams
7. Force India
8. Haas
9. Sauber
10. Torrorosso

-World will finnaly see what i said in 2010...Vettel can not win anything whitout Adrian Newey and/or a car that is 0.7 faster then the next fastest car.
- Vettel will get fired at the end of the season.
- Renault factory team will surprise, invest big money into budget and overtake relialbiltiy destroyed RB.
- the smile on Ricciardo's face will not come off all year.
- Williams will also plesently surprise
-Mclaren will have good car, good chassis and good PU but 2 avg drivers
- Honda PU will make a step back compared to 2018
-by the time of Barcelona, Horner will start to criticize Honda
- Helmut Marko will sabotage Piere Gasly's clutch everytime he outqualifiyes Max
- Haas will disapoint
- Force India will have 2 pay drivers(need i say more?)
- Sauber will take a step back compared to 2018 whit the car but Kimi will take some points
-Torro rosso will have problems whit PU all year long.
- Toyota will confirm interest in F1 return, Alonso will be involved.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

your funny

Sevach

GPR -A wrote:
10 Jan 2019, 15:26
Both Honda and McLaren failed and failed miserably and started pointing fingers at each other. On Honda's part, it is BS to say, McLaren didn't allow them to develop the way they wanted and put constraints. You need to go back in time to read how Mercedes chassis team asked, what seemed at that time as improbable, the split the design of turbo and compressor. It was a great idea as it would help the chassis team in tight packaging and aero benefits. And the engine department took it as a challenge and came out with a monster power unit. So, it's not like you can't do it. It's all excuses for failures that Honda pointed fingers at McLaren.

Honda had one massive advantage and no other manufacturer had and that is, a full hands on access to class leading Mercedes PU that McLaren was using in 2014. While every other manufacturer worked in dark until the PU came to light in 2014, Honda exactly knew what the benchmark is and had a clear view of how that gem of PU looked like inside out. Yet, they failed.

It only took one year for Ferrari to get back on it's feet and bring a rejuvenated PU in 2015. As much as McLaren kept designing crappy chassis, Honda was equally crap on their PU part and it was a divorce of convenience and a blame game to save face.

It's been 6 years for Honda now (including the 2014 when they started building the PU) and even if cosworth would have got that kind of budgets, they would have probably built a better PU in such a time frame. Honda is still searching for reliability and power gains.

Red Bull is far more demanding and have a ruthless designer in their ranks than any other team and he would seldom compromise chassis packaging design for the sake of a PU manufacturer. He didn't do it with Mercedes (in McLaren days) or Renault (all those years) and I highly doubt if he would give that freedom to Honda either. If Honda has to survive the Red Bull pressure, they have to do in one year, what they haven't managed in six. Otherwise, by the end of 2019, there are going to be lot of noises from the usual loud mouths in RB.
I remember thinking how unfair it was that Honda could design their PU already knowing the trends, while Ferrari and Renault were locked under a restrictive token system...

LM10

GoranF1 wrote:
12 Jan 2019, 14:21
1. Mercedes
2. Ferrari
3. Renault
4. Redbull
5.Mclaren
6. Williams
7. Force India
8. Haas
9. Sauber
10. Torrorosso

Wait.. so a monster of a driver in the best car will have a title fight against a highly talented, but still unexperienced driver in the second best car?

This and the rest of your comment is not even worth an answer, in my opinion. But yea, I still answered.

ME4ME

With all these lists being posted, can anyone -and with all due respect to the team- write down a solid argument for why Williams would beat another team and not be last in 2019?

GoranF1

ME4ME wrote:
12 Jan 2019, 22:34
With all these lists being posted, can anyone -and with all due respect to the team- write down a solid argument for why Williams would beat another team and not be last in 2019?
Because last year they had the worst driver lineup in history, this year a very good one, and because this will be first 100% Paddy Lowe car.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

mclaren111

GoranF1 wrote:
13 Jan 2019, 00:47
ME4ME wrote:
Because last year they had the worst driver lineup in history, this year a very good one, and because this will be first 100% Paddy Lowe car.

Paddy Lowe will want to build a "spaceship" again (like Mclaren days)... And fail miserably... Don't get you're hopes up.

NathanOlder

But his spaceship was never last.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Capharol

ME4ME wrote:
with all due respect aswell .... why should TR be last as they get parts from RB, and the same engine as RB?

NathanOlder

Capharol wrote:
13 Jan 2019, 14:17
ME4ME wrote:
with all due respect aswell .... why should TR be last as they get parts from RB, and the same engine as RB?
More down to Honda I'd say. Honda has finished 2nd to last in all but 1 season since its comeback. So if the team that finished behind TR Honda climbs up the grid next season, by default a Honda powered team will probably finish last. You can pick which one .
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

GPR-A

Capharol wrote:
13 Jan 2019, 14:17
ME4ME wrote:
The parts that come from RB isn't going to cast some magic. If you ask the TR design guys, they would rather have their own creation than to borrow some parts from another team. The entire car has to perform in a synchronized manner. Front design is changing drastically and as a designer if I don't have the liberty to play around and have to stick to the elements borrowed from another team, I would feel more restricted. Who is to say that the RB14 rear is going to perform as efficiently as it did this year, with a completely different set of tires that coming for next year?

There are too many things to consider before you conclude that the RB14 rear elements are actually going to help TR next year.