Formula E

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
Zynerji

Re: Formula E

jjn9128 wrote:
13 Jan 2019, 22:39
Zynerji wrote:
13 Jan 2019, 18:15
Once again, overly prescribed rules ruins the racing.

FE will never overtake F1 with the belief that artificial limitations improve the show.
Which rules exactly are you referring to??

Zynerji wrote:
After watching Riyadh, I decided to skip this one.
Why post here then?
Because i was super excited to try watching again now that they can get to the end without swapping cars.

But the wheel spin penalties rather ruined it. Most penalties from the first race were due to arbitrarily strict rules, and nothing to do with actual racing.

Maybe I'll check in next season again if they make some adjustments to the rules.

jjn9128

Zynerji wrote:
14 Jan 2019, 22:05
Because i was super excited to try watching again now that they can get to the end without swapping cars.

But the wheel spin penalties rather ruined it. Most penalties from the first race were due to arbitrarily strict rules, and nothing to do with actual racing.

Maybe I'll check in next season again if they make some adjustments to the rules.
I'm not sure where you would deem to be reasonable then... surly you accept that a motorsports 'formula' refers to a set of rules that competitors must conform to. Going over the power limit is pretty basic - most of the teams/drivers managed to stick to it so it was a case of risk/reward for those caught out.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

strad

Wheel Spin penalties?
I haven't gotten to watch the full length race yet. Coverage here is poor.
Watched highlights and didn't notice any mention of wheel spin penalties.
How do you get a penalty for wheel spin?
Did see a pass in the runoff area with no problem.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Andres125sx

mzso wrote:
13 Jan 2019, 17:57
jjn9128 wrote:
13 Jan 2019, 16:49
The way the battery management ebbs and flows is interesting... at one point the Audi cars looked to be falling off the cliff then a few laps later they were back on the pace. Personally I find these strategies more interesting than the equivalent F1 fuel and tyre saving.
I'd rather have more on-track action than having to resort to watching numbers changing to not get bored.
What? :wtf:

Let´s do a quick summary...

- The race winner started the race from 10th position
- The two leaders in the race for most part of it collided and one DNF while the other fell down to 4th
-Vergne, second in the grid, while trying to take the lead crashed and was last (21th) after first corner in first lap.... but finished the race 5th after an awesome recovery :o =D>
- First lap incident was funny, I watched it around 4-5 times because I found pretty funny hearing the crashes, first Vergne, then that Audi I´m not sure who was, then Vandoorne and his teammate... I could count 4-5 crash sounds in the broadcast :mrgreen:

This is way more on-track action than you see at any F1 GP

Andres125sx

Zynerji wrote:
Once again, overly prescribed rules ruins the racing.

FE will never overtake F1 with the belief that artificial limitations improve the show.

After watching Riyadh, I decided to skip this one.
What a big mistake, Riyadh was VERY boring compared to this one. Much better track, much faster cars with damp conditions and good tarmac, and a lot of on-track action

Andres125sx

Big Tea wrote:
13 Jan 2019, 20:06
NathanOlder wrote:
13 Jan 2019, 18:59
And I love the Verstappen punishment by the FIA. 1 of his days punishment service for the Ocon incident was to attend the FE. As Sam Bird said, it makes it look like an F1 driver was punished by making him attend an FE race. How bad does that make FE look :lol:
Quite right. But. did you notice how many of the Mercedes F1 team were there?
They were either checking out their drivers of 'investigating'.

If they were checking their driver, Pascal has another black mark, two if you count him crashing out.
Toto Wolff is the husband of Venturi´s Team Principal, Susie Wolff.

But apart from this, Mercedes is leaving F1 soon, and they´ll focus on FE. This speaks volumes about F1 and FE future...

jjn9128

strad wrote:
15 Jan 2019, 02:38
Wheel Spin penalties?
I haven't gotten to watch the full length race yet. Coverage here is poor.
Watched highlights and didn't notice any mention of wheel spin penalties.
How do you get a penalty for wheel spin?
For going over the peak power allowed in the series (200kW in the race, 250kW in qualifying). Happens over a bump when the wheels become unloaded. Normally the software is tuned in practice to avoid it but in Saudi there was no practice.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

jjn9128

Andres125sx wrote:
15 Jan 2019, 09:03

But apart from this, Mercedes is leaving F1 soon, and they´ll focus on FE. This speaks volumes about F1 and FE future...
I've not seen the Mercedes quitting F1 rumours for a while - any source? Normally it's Red Bull who are about to quit.

Toto was at the race with HWA not Venturi - not that he's not supporting his wife, but I think he'd be careful to let her do her own thing. I'm not sure what Toto's job title at Mercedes is but I think it is exclusive the F1 team rather than Mercedes motorsport in general. It's not out of the question that he could end up with some senior role in the Mercedes team though.
#aerogandalf

Capharol

jjn9128 wrote:
15 Jan 2019, 11:47
Andres125sx wrote:

I've not seen the Mercedes quitting F1 rumours for a while - any source? Normally it's Red Bull who are about to quit.
was thinking the same, latest rumour is that Haas threathens to leave but I haven't read anything about Merc wanna leave F1, and why should they? they earn the biggest part of the prize money, since the Hybrid aera they dominate F1 ..... unless you can provide some article which says anything near that Merc will leave F1 it's all just a unfounded rumour

Big Tea

Andres125sx wrote:
Big Tea wrote:
13 Jan 2019, 20:06
NathanOlder wrote:
13 Jan 2019, 18:59
And I love the Verstappen punishment by the FIA. 1 of his days punishment service for the Ocon incident was to attend the FE. As Sam Bird said, it makes it look like an F1 driver was punished by making him attend an FE race. How bad does that make FE look :lol:
Quite right. But. did you notice how many of the Mercedes F1 team were there?
They were either checking out their drivers of 'investigating'.

If they were checking their driver, Pascal has another black mark, two if you count him crashing out.

It was not just Toto, there were others from the main team there too. Can not recall exactly who but remember James Vowles being there.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Zynerji

jjn9128 wrote:
14 Jan 2019, 23:45
Zynerji wrote:
14 Jan 2019, 22:05

I'm not sure where you would deem to be reasonable then... surly you accept that a motorsports 'formula' refers to a set of rules that competitors must conform to. Going over the power limit is pretty basic - most of the teams/drivers managed to stick to it so it was a case of risk/reward for those caught out.
Getting penalized for going over a bump and getting wheel spin just seems idiotic to me.

jjn9128

Zynerji wrote:
15 Jan 2019, 15:37
Getting penalized for going over a bump and getting wheel spin just seems idiotic to me.
But they're not being penalized for wheelspin, they're being penalized for exceeding the power limit. You can't let it go because motorsports teams will use any leeway from the race director for their own benefit.
#aerogandalf

Zynerji

jjn9128 wrote:
15 Jan 2019, 15:51
Zynerji wrote:
But they're not being penalized for wheelspin, they're being penalized for exceeding the power limit. You can't let it go because motorsports teams will use any leeway from the race director for their own benefit.
OK. I'm sure it works for some people, but to me, it's not worth watching, and definitely not the future.

marmer

Zynerji wrote:
15 Jan 2019, 16:02
jjn9128 wrote:
Zynerji wrote:
OK. I'm sure it works for some people, but to me, it's not worth watching, and definitely not the future.
i missed qualli. seemed abit of a strange concept last time. why even have a power limit for qualifaction should be allowed to use all the car has/driver is able to use in 1 lap

Zynerji

marmer wrote:
15 Jan 2019, 16:53
Zynerji wrote:
15 Jan 2019, 16:02
jjn9128 wrote:

i missed qualli. seemed abit of a strange concept last time. why even have a power limit for qualifaction should be allowed to use all the car has/driver is able to use in 1 lap
*every lap*

Current Formula E reminds me of the old Greenpower24 regulations...