2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
RonDennis

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Manoah2u wrote:
15 Jan 2019, 03:35
Morteza wrote:
14 Jan 2019, 16:18
Manoah2u wrote:
14 Jan 2019, 14:03
Still think it was a mistake to get rid of the VW guy and by doing so delaying Mclaren's revalidation unneccesarily.
They got rid of him because he was hired by Ron, I guess. He was with McLaren for half a year if I remember correctly! Anyhow, so far Zack Brown has done some nice signings and restructuring IMHO.
Oh i'm not saying Zak isn't doing his job well.
Matter of fact, i think he's doing that pretty good.
It seems the atmosphere @ Mclaren is starting to become more relaxed.
whether that's positive, we'll find out in due time.

Kicking out the biggest error Mclaren made since spygate called Eric Bouillier was the best thing they could have done, even though they should've done that a year before.

Still, i think it would have saved Mclaren a lot of trouble and they'd been in a better position if they kept the VW guy. Offcourse i don't know what deals were made before ron's departure and what discussions happend after that, but i believe there could have been a reboot much earlier if he was present. It's going to take time for the changes to come into effect.

Meanwhile, the horrible pitstop quality of Mclaren is just embarassing and shows just how deep they have sunken.
Additionally, in my personal opinion, this only further shows Alonso's patience and amazing capability seeing how he still managed to bring in that wreck in respectable places, even though there was nothing respectable about the car and team itself.

I don't believe Renault is the right answer for Mclaren, but we will have to wait and see.
Must note though, that i do believe splitting with Honda was the right thing to do for both parties. Mclaren, how it was, how it dealt with things, in the recent past untill now, was not something that would have seen come a fruitful partnership. You can see how much better Honda did with the RB/TR partnership approach.
I do believe, that if this 'change' at Mclaren keeps going into the right direction, that the Honda partnership COULD work in about 2 seasons further down the road. BUT, that ship has sailed permanently anyway due to the recent past.

Mclaren won't be having any title chances for the coming 5 years for sure though. With Renault, that's never going to happen since the works team is out there too. Only if there was no works team, they would manage, but with the works team eyeing a WCC in the near future, that's just not gonna happen.
So if they want to become WCC, they are going to need a different engine, which there is not, and will not be one in the near future either.

Add to that, i don't believe Mclaren has a driver lineup remotely capable of being WDC or getting the team into WCC territory. Not now, not next year, not even in 5 years. Lando has to learn and ripen, and is a huge question mark, but for starters lacks a car even remotely capable of WCC. Sainz is definately a fast and talented driver, but lacks that WDC edge that guys like Ricciardo, Verstappen, Vettel, Hamilton, etc. do have. As for Sainz, i'd place him into the Grosjean, Bottas, Perez, Hulkenberg territory. without a doubt F1 worthy, definately an asset for any team, but not a chance on being WCC.
Could you be anymore negative? Damn. Didn't you see how Red Bull destroyed Renault with the exact same engine? It's just about having better personal. You could already see what happened at Red Bull when Newey starting doing less, which they changed immediately after the terrible start of 2017. McLaren has been operating a lot better during the 2018 and I haven't seen any horrible pitstops in the last few races.

diffuser

RonDennis wrote:
15 Jan 2019, 16:42
Manoah2u wrote:
Morteza wrote:

They got rid of him because he was hired by Ron, I guess. He was with McLaren for half a year if I remember correctly! Anyhow, so far Zack Brown has done some nice signings and restructuring IMHO.

Kicking out the biggest error Mclaren made since spygate called Eric Bouillier was the best thing they could have done, even though they should've done that a year before.

Still, i think it would have saved Mclaren a lot of trouble and they'd been in a better position if they kept the VW guy. Offcourse i don't know what deals were made before ron's departure and what discussions happend after that, but i believe there could have been a reboot much earlier if he was present. It's going to take time for the changes to come into effect.

Meanwhile, the horrible pitstop quality of Mclaren is just embarassing and shows just how deep they have sunken.
Additionally, in my personal opinion, this only further shows Alonso's patience and amazing capability seeing how he still managed to bring in that wreck in respectable places, even though there was nothing respectable about the car and team itself.

I don't believe Renault is the right answer for Mclaren, but we will have to wait and see.
Must note though, that i do believe splitting with Honda was the right thing to do for both parties. Mclaren, how it was, how it dealt with things, in the recent past untill now, was not something that would have seen come a fruitful partnership. You can see how much better Honda did with the RB/TR partnership approach.
I do believe, that if this 'change' at Mclaren keeps going into the right direction, that the Honda partnership COULD work in about 2 seasons further down the road. BUT, that ship has sailed permanently anyway due to the recent past.

Mclaren won't be having any title chances for the coming 5 years for sure though. With Renault, that's never going to happen since the works team is out there too. Only if there was no works team, they would manage, but with the works team eyeing a WCC in the near future, that's just not gonna happen.
So if they want to become WCC, they are going to need a different engine, which there is not, and will not be one in the near future either.

Add to that, i don't believe Mclaren has a driver lineup remotely capable of being WDC or getting the team into WCC territory. Not now, not next year, not even in 5 years. Lando has to learn and ripen, and is a huge question mark, but for starters lacks a car even remotely capable of WCC. Sainz is definately a fast and talented driver, but lacks that WDC edge that guys like Ricciardo, Verstappen, Vettel, Hamilton, etc. do have. As for Sainz, i'd place him into the Grosjean, Bottas, Perez, Hulkenberg territory. without a doubt F1 worthy, definately an asset for any team, but not a chance on being WCC.
Could you be anymore negative? Damn. Didn't you see how Red Bull destroyed Renault with the exact same engine? It's just about having better personal. You could already see what happened at Red Bull when Newey starting doing less, which they changed immediately after the terrible start of 2017. McLaren has been operating a lot better during the 2018 and I haven't seen any horrible pitstops in the last few races.

https://www.formula1.com/content/fom-we ... 913862.jpg

https://www.formula1.com/content/fom-we ... 554926.jpg

https://www.formula1.com/content/fom-we ... 558523.jpg

https://www.formula1.com/content/fom-we ... 632025.jpg
VW guy - How can getting rid of someone who had done nothing in F1, got paid to do nothing at Mclaren(for political reasons), and is the guy that is so good that nobody in F1 picked him up after he left McLaren be a mistake?

EB - EB has been replaced by Gil De Ferran. That like exchanging 4 quarters for a $. I don't see the difference. The names are both french ..ok Gil has a slightly less of an a French accent. EB fell on the sword for McLaren and became the lightening rod, taking all the pressure off everyone else with the ax.

Renault not the right answer. It's the only answer. RBR won titles not being the works team, I think Renault are fair that way. RBR/STR is a better fit for Honda cause they're 2 teams which is better than McLaren by itself. Not sure if you were paying attention but STR/Honda 2018 had 3 more points than McLaren/Honda 2017. They both finished 2nd to last in the constructors. Not really stellar improvement especially when you add that Mclaren/Honda didn't finish a race in 2017 before mid season(most of their points came in the 2nd half).

Mclaren title chances - 5 years is along time. Lots can happen in 1 year never mind 2 years. In those 5 years we'll have 2 formula changes that increases shake up size.

Driver lineup - I agree Lando has alot to prove. If the car is competitive this year and Lando struggles expect an all Spanish lineup for 2020.

I agree with everything Ron Denis said.

Manoah2u

cyclon wrote:
15 Jan 2019, 13:00
Manoah2u wrote:
Morteza wrote:

"that ship has sailed permanently anyway due to the recent past"
Are you sure about this ? 8)

"and will not be one in the near future either"
Is not 2022 the near future ? 8)
That ship has sailed because of the abysmal relationship between Mclaren and Honda, tainting relations.
Then, RedBull welcomed them with open arms, treats them respectfully, and has a healthy partnership.
coming season for the first time there will be a partnership where honda will have a guaranteed good chassis,
and have a decent engine. no doubt it will bring in results, further removing any need or desire to have a partnership with anybody but RB. Even more, RB is the works team now, Mclaren would be a customer, and RB would get privilige over them. so there is no logic in even concidering a return to Honda.

and i don't concider 2022 the near future when Mclaren should have already been in a position to win. 2022 is 3 more seasons down the road, and then still it remains to be seen whether there's even a chance.

so yes, i'm 100% sure about that ship being sailed, and i'm 100% sure there's no chance on a WCC anytime soon.

and call me negative if you want. i don't care, really. would you concider Mclaren's 2018 result positive? for MCLAREN?
would you concider 2018 results positive after the promises and supposed improvements ALSO in manegemen before 2018, concidering 2017, 2016, 2015 and all the promises? I sure as hell don't see anything positive there.
Hell, a few seasons ago Alonso was running even at p6 to p8 at the end of the season, had some great fights in brazil just to name one, and Mclaren was to be found all the way at the back in 2018.
What does 2019 promise? only more restructuring which is a positive thing, sure. BUT it will take quite some time before those developments to come into effect and on top of that there are 2! new drivers. not 1, but 2. A total rookie, and Sainz, whom definately is better than VanDoorne, but not even near Alonso.

So call me negative all you want, but 2019 isnt' looking too positive for Mclaren.

At best, positive things can happen as of 2020 or 2021. But that'll be far from winning or the top3, which is the least i'd expect Mclaren to be.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Ground Effect

Manoah2u wrote:
15 Jan 2019, 19:27
cyclon wrote:
15 Jan 2019, 13:00
Manoah2u wrote:

"that ship has sailed permanently anyway due to the recent past"
Are you sure about this ? 8)

"and will not be one in the near future either"
Is not 2022 the near future ? 8)
That ship has sailed because of the abysmal relationship between Mclaren and Honda, tainting relations.
Then, RedBull welcomed them with open arms, treats them respectfully, and has a healthy partnership.
coming season for the first time there will be a partnership where honda will have a guaranteed good chassis,
and have a decent engine. no doubt it will bring in results, further removing any need or desire to have a partnership with anybody but RB. Even more, RB is the works team now, Mclaren would be a customer, and RB would get privilige over them. so there is no logic in even concidering a return to Honda.

and i don't concider 2022 the near future when Mclaren should have already been in a position to win. 2022 is 3 more seasons down the road, and then still it remains to be seen whether there's even a chance.

so yes, i'm 100% sure about that ship being sailed, and i'm 100% sure there's no chance on a WCC anytime soon.

and call me negative if you want. i don't care, really. would you concider Mclaren's 2018 result positive? for MCLAREN?
would you concider 2018 results positive after the promises and supposed improvements ALSO in manegemen before 2018, concidering 2017, 2016, 2015 and all the promises? I sure as hell don't see anything positive there.
Hell, a few seasons ago Alonso was running even at p6 to p8 at the end of the season, had some great fights in brazil just to name one, and Mclaren was to be found all the way at the back in 2018.
What does 2019 promise? only more restructuring which is a positive thing, sure. BUT it will take quite some time before those developments to come into effect and on top of that there are 2! new drivers. not 1, but 2. A total rookie, and Sainz, whom definately is better than VanDoorne, but not even near Alonso.

So call me negative all you want, but 2019 isnt' looking too positive for Mclaren.

At best, positive things can happen as of 2020 or 2021. But that'll be far from winning or the top3, which is the least i'd expect Mclaren to be.
Going a bit off topic here, but to put things in perspective, it's Honda or bust for RB, they've gone on record saying if this partnership doesn't work, they're out of the sport, recently talked about possibility of WEC. Nobody else will give them an engine. So this open arms talk is all they can do. But as far as recovery plans are concerned, you really can't fault Mclaren, they're making a real fist of it. So far, I can only compliment their efforts to steady the ship, which started sinking a long time before the era of Zak.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

PhillipM

Anyone saying Mclaren doesn't have engine options in the near future hasn't talked to anybody at all at Mclaren - and all this 'sour relationship' press with Honda is just that, press speculation, the guys at Mclaren doing the work got on very well with the Honda engine guys, even if management didn't gel, if the Honda motor pulls through this year and becomes the one to have have in 2020, and they wanted to go back with Honda in 2021, that would definately be an option.

ScottR267

http://f1i.com/news/327853-brown-crazin ... nsors.html

Zak conforming that at least two new sponsors are to be revealed this month. Not seen any rumours as to who this could be, so is anyone’s guess.

Manoah2u

Eh, no, it WON'T be an option, as there is NO WAY IN LIFE, that RB, would ALLOW that to happen.
And i repeat, Honda would not WANT to make another deal with Mclaren, as they already have a deal with Toro Rosso too, and also getting Mclaren a Honda engine would DAMAGE RB's opportunities, aswell as ToroRosso's, so it's really easy; it's NOT an option as Honda simply will not even concider it.

Williams as a 3rd team? that could happen, even though the Honda engine would have to improve quite significantly AND be cheaper than what Mercedes has on the table. So even that, wouldnt seem anything that would happen. Haas, especially with branding it as Acura, would be far more possible but then again, Haas has a very happy deal with Ferrari, running a Ferrari engine, Ferrari parts wherever possible, and running a Dallara chassis, built and designed with that in mind. so why even bother then?

As mentioned above, the only thing that could ruin the RB-Honda party is if the engine would still be a disappointment, and there's a good chance as mentioned that RB could even pull the plug from their F1 project, if such thing would happen. Rest assured, that you can be absolutely sure, that Honda would likewise pull the plug, once again, from their F1 project if that would be the case. So guess what, there will STILL not be an Honda option for Mclaren, as there simply won't be a Honda around anymore.

Not at the very least because if the Honda engine STILL won't perform, and RB thus ditches it and would theoretically make it possible for Honda to be open for another team (instead of pulling the plug), then Mclaren themselves wouldn't even take that as an option, as the engine has been nothing but failure for them. Why on earth then return to an abusive, non-fruitful relationship that won't last and will once again leave you broke and damaged?

There is ZERO credibility to any claim that Honda even COULD or could CONCIDER getting back with Mclaren, and that would thus be an 'option' for Mclaren.NO.

Mclaren HAD no option but to go to renault, which is the most embarassing part of it all, and meanwhile, that engine, as said, will neither be what they need to get to where they want to be.
And YES, it has been theorized Mclaren could decide going for their own engine. BUT that quickly goes down the drain too concidering there is going to change nothing with the engines in the (near) future, and that would mean even by 2020, they have a 6 year defecit in practical development and experience, even more concidering the
development and research that went into the other engines BEFORE entering F1.
Thus it makes no sense for them to make their own engine in the current format.
And you might add to that another not too minor issue;
concidering how much of a failure honda-mclaren was, and how arguably that is not the very least thanks to Mclaren,
then you might atleast ponder how on earth Mclaren is going to be even able to produce a competitive engine themselves, invest billions and billions there, to very likely come to the conclusion it was as big as a failure as the honda partnership, and see them once again needing to ditch a new engine, and seek a new partner.

So colour my pretty negative and highly critical for Mclaren's aspirations, if you will. But believe me, i would have really really preffered to see otherwise.

There would have been no pairing i would have wanted to see win races and the WDC and WCC more than Alonso with a Mclaren-Honda. But that fantasy is gone. I am as said highly doubtfull Mclaren is going to reach anything with Renault.

The only scenario i currently envision on seeing Mclaren back in glory,
is IF Mercedes decides to pull the plug on their own F1 team, and revert to being an engine supplier,
which would certainly see Mclaren pound onto a Mercedes partnership, immediately take Toto Wolff aboard,
and grab a a-class driver alongside. Hamilton won't happen, Vettel neither. Verstappen could, Ricciardo probably not,
but it might be interesting to see how Norris and Russel will fare. Norris will probably have been too long at Mclaren with non-potential engine, so i'd opt for Russell instead. Mick Schumacher might be an interesting option though, if he is as talented as we all hope he is.

but i'm wondering off way too far.

Mclaren won't be in any honestly exciting position untill atleast 2023 or 2024. And by that i mean fighting for P1, P2, or P3 on own merit, for poles,wins and titles.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Jackles-UK

Red Bull is Honda’s customer, nothing more, and as such will have absolutely no ability to make decisions on their suppliers behalf even if they wanted to (unlike when Ron dennis vetoed Red Bull getting a Merc engine some years ago because Daimler were shareholders in McLaren).

If, in a few years time, Honda decide they want to earn themselves an extra ~$15m per season to help offset the cost of their ultra-expensive engine program they’ve ran since 2015 why would they not want to link up with McLaren again? As Phillip mentiones above, McLaren were never hugely critical of Honda as a company or of the people who worked there, just the engines they created some years ago now.

It was certainly nothing like the toxic split that occurred between Red Bull/Toro Rosso and Renault (with accusations of sabotage, favouritism, deliberate poor performance and lack of support). What happens if that comes Honda’s way this year from them?

PhillipM

All the shouting in the world won't make you more right, if Mclaren want a Honda in 2021, they can have one, it's as easy as that - Honda and Mclaren didn't part ways on bad terms, in fact Mclaren was willing to help out when they were looking for a team to supply with a gearbox and rear end when that looked like being FI initially.

Maritimer

Havent both companies been on record stating they would work together in the future?

mclaren111

McLaren is set to announce "at least two" new sponsors ahead of the upcoming F1 2019 season.
https://www.crash.net/f1/news/912024/1/ ... -hard-ever

Good news... We're off to a good start for 2019...

Ground Effect

Manoah2u wrote:
16 Jan 2019, 02:06
Eh, no, it WON'T be an option, as there is NO WAY IN LIFE, that RB, would ALLOW that to happen.
And i repeat, Honda would not WANT to make another deal with Mclaren, as they already have a deal with Toro Rosso too, and also getting Mclaren a Honda engine would DAMAGE RB's opportunities, aswell as ToroRosso's, so it's really easy; it's NOT an option as Honda simply will not even concider it.

Williams as a 3rd team? that could happen, even though the Honda engine would have to improve quite significantly AND be cheaper than what Mercedes has on the table. So even that, wouldnt seem anything that would happen. Haas, especially with branding it as Acura, would be far more possible but then again, Haas has a very happy deal with Ferrari, running a Ferrari engine, Ferrari parts wherever possible, and running a Dallara chassis, built and designed with that in mind. so why even bother then?

As mentioned above, the only thing that could ruin the RB-Honda party is if the engine would still be a disappointment, and there's a good chance as mentioned that RB could even pull the plug from their F1 project, if such thing would happen. Rest assured, that you can be absolutely sure, that Honda would likewise pull the plug, once again, from their F1 project if that would be the case. So guess what, there will STILL not be an Honda option for Mclaren, as there simply won't be a Honda around anymore.

Not at the very least because if the Honda engine STILL won't perform, and RB thus ditches it and would theoretically make it possible for Honda to be open for another team (instead of pulling the plug), then Mclaren themselves wouldn't even take that as an option, as the engine has been nothing but failure for them. Why on earth then return to an abusive, non-fruitful relationship that won't last and will once again leave you broke and damaged?

There is ZERO credibility to any claim that Honda even COULD or could CONCIDER getting back with Mclaren, and that would thus be an 'option' for Mclaren.NO.

Mclaren HAD no option but to go to renault, which is the most embarassing part of it all, and meanwhile, that engine, as said, will neither be what they need to get to where they want to be.
And YES, it has been theorized Mclaren could decide going for their own engine. BUT that quickly goes down the drain too concidering there is going to change nothing with the engines in the (near) future, and that would mean even by 2020, they have a 6 year defecit in practical development and experience, even more concidering the
development and research that went into the other engines BEFORE entering F1.
Thus it makes no sense for them to make their own engine in the current format.
And you might add to that another not too minor issue;
concidering how much of a failure honda-mclaren was, and how arguably that is not the very least thanks to Mclaren,
then you might atleast ponder how on earth Mclaren is going to be even able to produce a competitive engine themselves, invest billions and billions there, to very likely come to the conclusion it was as big as a failure as the honda partnership, and see them once again needing to ditch a new engine, and seek a new partner.

So colour my pretty negative and highly critical for Mclaren's aspirations, if you will. But believe me, i would have really really preffered to see otherwise.

There would have been no pairing i would have wanted to see win races and the WDC and WCC more than Alonso with a Mclaren-Honda. But that fantasy is gone. I am as said highly doubtfull Mclaren is going to reach anything with Renault.

The only scenario i currently envision on seeing Mclaren back in glory,
is IF Mercedes decides to pull the plug on their own F1 team, and revert to being an engine supplier,
which would certainly see Mclaren pound onto a Mercedes partnership, immediately take Toto Wolff aboard,
and grab a a-class driver alongside. Hamilton won't happen, Vettel neither. Verstappen could, Ricciardo probably not,
but it might be interesting to see how Norris and Russel will fare. Norris will probably have been too long at Mclaren with non-potential engine, so i'd opt for Russell instead. Mick Schumacher might be an interesting option though, if he is as talented as we all hope he is.

but i'm wondering off way too far.

Mclaren won't be in any honestly exciting position untill atleast 2023 or 2024. And by that i mean fighting for P1, P2, or P3 on own merit, for poles,wins and titles.
I find it odd that you seem to be so definitive when, just like the rest of us you're just speculating. You cannot say zero etc, except of course you're in Honda or Mclaren top management. F1 is a small community, things change fast. Maybe a couple of years ago you said there was zero chance Fernando would drive for Mclaren again. Also bear in mind, the Red Bull STR deal is for 2 years only, Mclaren had a 10 year deal and still got out of it. Obviously, you can choose to look at the negatives of the whole scenario, while others look at the possibilities and positives. At this stage, nobody is right or wrong.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?

Ground Effect

mclaren111 wrote:
16 Jan 2019, 08:12
McLaren is set to announce "at least two" new sponsors ahead of the upcoming F1 2019 season.

I hear NTT is the new sponsor for Indycar, are they still with Mclaren?

M840TR

Ground Effect wrote:
16 Jan 2019, 09:23
mclaren111 wrote:
16 Jan 2019, 08:12

I hear NTT is the new sponsor for Indycar, are they still with Mclaren?
They're not. I think they've said adios to F1.

GoranF1

Zero mention of Prodrumou in latest Zak Brown interview, he did mention Fry and Key.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."