2018 Driver Helmets

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Morteza

Re: 2018 Driver Helmets

Sebastian Vettel's helmet for the last race of the season

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Manoah2u

silver, so he's already setting for 2nd? :P
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Ringleheim

Wasn't there a recent regulation which stated a driver had to use the same helmet all season long?

Did they abolish that or what? These guys change helmets every race and it's annoying.

bosyber

Substantially the same design (and a single special one) yes, but, look at those Vettel specials, the all are variations on the same design: white(ish) with three bands that make up the colours of the German flag; even the Japanese Origami birds were making up those bands of colour, so it all counted as 'substantially the same' - quite cleverly done. I never really liked Vettel constantly changing his design (though partly, the problem was the Red Bull designs all being so much Red Bull real estate that the rest always seemed quite busy), but this design is really quite classy, and his variations seem clever and to the point, and I find myself quite often impressed by them.

Manoah2u

Vettel's 'current' design is essentially a design stolen by the original of Michael Schumacher.

nevertheless, i do enjoy this simple helmet design as it's much more recognisable and reminds me of classic helmet designs that stayed in memory better.
Schumacher's design was classic, Hill, Senna, Alesi, Mansell, etc.

all those overly busy helmets nowadays aren't really enjoyable imho.

and indeed, especially with all the sponsors on it.
I'd appreciate it a lot more if they banned sponsors on helmets, but that's never going to happen.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

bosyber

Manoah2u - I'll think it is some sort of homage by Vettel, him being quite a Schumacher fan, now driving a Ferrari, and into that sort of thing. Still, better well taken than a bad new design. I really do think that the Halo obscuring the helmets has helped a bit in making them bolder, simpler, more striking, and better. And I completely agree with you on the (team) sponsors not being on the helmets. Would be great, won't happen sadly.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Morteza

Carlos Sainz Jr. has a new test design for his 2019 helmet

Godius

Ricciardo testing out new colours for his 2019 helmet design: