2019 Williams F1 Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Manoah2u

2019 Williams F1 Team - Mercedes

Team: Williams F1
Base: Grove, Wantage, Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
Team principal: Sir Frank Williams, Claire Williams (deputy)
Technical director(s): Paddy Lowe

Race drivers:
88 Image Robert Kubica
63 Image George Russell

Test drivers :

Chassis: FW42
Engine: Mercedes V6 Turbo

2017 position: 11th (7 pts)

This thread is to discuss the 2019 Martini Williams F1 TEAM
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Morteza

Re: 2019 Williams F1 Team - Mercedes

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Mr Brooksy

Interesting article:

https://theparcferme.com/can-paddy-change-williams-f1/

Most telling part I think is that Williams has been under the illusion that they only need to change a few things and that will bring them back to the front... No wonder we have fallen so far back over the past 2 decades!
WilliamsF1 fan since 1989

bill shoe

Before the pre-season gets crazy-- Any info on Look Back Time? Haven't seen anything from LBT for a year or two.

lio007

bill shoe wrote:
22 Jan 2019, 00:35
Before the pre-season gets crazy-- Any info on Look Back Time? Haven't seen anything from LBT for a year or two.
I thought the same a couple of days ago.....

FW17

Wish Clair is just a board member and someone with real managerial experience brought in to head the teams day to day operations, after all this is a public listed company

cravenciak

Williams, Orlen and Kubica will make a press conference this tuesday in Warsaw. Team from Grove will bring a showcar with new livery on it.

Tomek1623

I don't expect new livery for this season. It will be probably car to show only PKN Orlen logo.

Sevach

Martini is gone, it will be a brand new livery.

Peter1919

The exodus of sponsors appears to continue as JCB appear to have gone as they no longer feature on William's partners page https://www.williamsf1.com/racing/about/our-partners

So that is Martini, Randstad and JCB gone this winter. With only Orlen coming in to replace them and I don't believe that deal will even match the Martini money

With lower FIA prize money coming in due to finishing last and no Stroll or Sirotkin money either I can't see how Williams won't be really struggling financially this season.
Last edited by Peter1919 on 26 Jan 2019, 22:50, edited 1 time in total.

Manoah2u

Don't forget that Russell is aboard though and brings some Mercedes' extra's with him - engine discounts etc. it's not as bad as it initially seems,
though there is no denying that there will be a firm less amount of money available for 2019.
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins

bill shoe

It will be financially tough in 2019.

Both drivers bring money and/or a gift certificate from Mercedes High-Performance Engines. FOM pays some legacy money to Williams in addition to the usual money for constructors placings over the last few years. There were rumors of Stroll having to buy-out the remaining years on his Williams contract, but these rumors never made sense to me. I guess I hope they're true for Williams' sake.

I think it's common for F1 teams to require inputs (payments) from ownership groups during lean times. Don't know how this would work with a significant fraction of Williams (the 10 or 20% that Patrick Head sold when he retired) being on a publicly-traded stock market. Also don't know if Williams wants ownership inputs.

I'll probably buy an official shirt when the team reveals the new design and color scheme. The last shirt I bought 3 years ago was well over $100, so I have to think the new shirt will be a similar significant contributor to their budget. :) .

ME4ME

With the annual cost of 15 to 20M euro for the engine, i recall Toto mentioning that any discount was only going to be worth 4-5 million at the most. Beyond that it simly doesn't make financial sense anymore to support a junior driver. So in the grand scheme of things its possibly around 10% compared to what Williams lost in other sponsorship.

I do wonder though, if Williams still gets money for the release of Bottas. It is possible that the deal they struck with Mercedes after Rosbergs departure wasn't a single payment but rather an annual one reaching over several years. For Mercedes it would have made sense to spread that sudden additional cost out over a couple of years, rather than take the hit all at once. But then again, they're a giant team so surely they could have. Just speculating here..

ScottR267

Peter1919 wrote:
26 Jan 2019, 22:20
The exodus of sponsors appears to continue as JCB appear to have gone as they no longer feature on William's partners page https://www.williamsf1.com/racing/about/our-partners

So that is Martini, Randstad and JCB gone this winter. With only Orlen coming in to replace them and I don't believe that deal will even match the Martini money

With lower FIA prize money coming in due to finishing last and no Stroll or Sirotkin money either I can't see how Williams won't be really struggling financially this season.
Randstad left after the 2017 season with Williams. Nonetheless the sponsor has in fact rejoined f1 and has teamed up with Toro Rosso.

https://www.gpfans.com/nl/artikelen/112 ... s-partner/

Manoah2u

ScottR267 wrote:
27 Jan 2019, 01:36
Peter1919 wrote:
26 Jan 2019, 22:20

Randstad left after the 2017 season with Williams. Nonetheless the sponsor has in fact rejoined f1 and has teamed up with Toro Rosso.

https://www.gpfans.com/nl/artikelen/112 ... s-partner/
It's pretty logical to be honest, Williams is showing ZERO performance, so that is negative for their sponsors in various ways; they are paired to a failing team, and they get almost zero exposure. Patience will run out eventually, and that's what happened to the sponsors. If we were to believe Paddy, then the good thing is that they're starting to wake up, but i'm gonna have to see it first to believe it. Perhaps they finally get to the point where they can start seeing that they themselves are to blame, instead of pointing elsewhere.

Toro Rosso brings much more exposure, and is guaranteed to be in a better position than Williams. Also, through RedBull (toro rosso's sponsor), is even much more of a logical combo. RedBull is a famous brand with much exposure and now, whenever you're gonna see the toro rosso, you're also gonna see randstad, which is going to be much more positive in the long term for brand connection. win-win for randstad.

as for other sponsors going to Mclaren, well, even though Mclaren were in a sad state the past years, and i think they're not going to bring wonders in 2019, they're still in a much better position than Williams.

As for Martini, i do wonder whether they will or will not return to F1. If i'm not mistaken, there was a new head appointed and iirc he had a different vision to it all so i believe that we won't be seeing them again. On the other hand, the reason they left was they didn't get 'return in investment' enough, obviously due to Williams lousy results.
Perhaps, if there's a team that can bring guaranteed positive results and thus brand exposure, we might see them return to sponsor an F1 team.

That said, apart from Orlen, are there any other sponsors in the pipeline?