Sauber C38 speculation thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Jolle

Re: Sauber C38 speculation thread

But for naming I hope they break free of all other teams and bring some Italian swing into F1. So please Alfa... no ARR01 or AR19 but please please.... just like a good Alfa... a womans name,

Name her Sofia

PlatinumZealot

I meant.. the manufacturer name sorry.

The Team name is Alfa-remeo racing..
But the manufacturer name... will it still be Sauber?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

NathanOlder

Jolle wrote:
01 Feb 2019, 23:49
NathanOlder wrote:
01 Feb 2019, 23:38
Jolle wrote:
01 Feb 2019, 22:48

If you are referring to Mercedes' car naming, their chassis numbers for all their cars always starting with a W (from Wagen I presume) or for instance a S for stationewagen. I myself had a W115 and a S204 for a while (a '71 200d and a '09 C320CDI-AMG)
I know they have always been named like that. I was just pointing out the Chassis name doesn't have to contain the team name.
Oh but the rule is that you have to race your own chassis. So it hasn't got to have the name, but you must be the manufacturer. This was the case with FI last year. The team had to be named FI because the manufacturer was FI, not Racing Point. That the car was named VJM didn't matter.

This year the team will be called Alfa Romeo, so a little plaque in the car must read "manufactured by Alfa Romeo"
But Dallara produce the Chassis for Haas. That breaks that supposed rule surely ?
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Maritimer

NathanOlder wrote:
02 Feb 2019, 09:44
Jolle wrote:
NathanOlder wrote:

I know they have always been named like that. I was just pointing out the Chassis name doesn't have to contain the team name.
Oh but the rule is that you have to race your own chassis. So it hasn't got to have the name, but you must be the manufacturer. This was the case with FI last year. The team had to be named FI because the manufacturer was FI, not Racing Point. That the car was named VJM didn't matter.

This year the team will be called Alfa Romeo, so a little plaque in the car must read "manufactured by Alfa Romeo"
But Dallara produce the Chassis for Haas. That breaks that supposed rule surely ?
Teams dont have to manufacture a single component of the car, at all. For decades over half the grid had other companies manufacture chassis and other large components for them, all the team is responsible for is design and engineering.

jjn9128

PlatinumZealot wrote:
01 Feb 2019, 19:30
Well the team is now Alfa Romeo racing.. But it is yet to be seen if the chassis name will remain a Sauber!
The team name has to include the chassis name. So the chassis designation can't be Sauber which is kind of sad - even BMW kept the Sauber name (I guess Peter Sauber was still involved at that stage).
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

NathanOlder

jjn9128 wrote:
02 Feb 2019, 12:02
PlatinumZealot wrote:
01 Feb 2019, 19:30
Well the team is now Alfa Romeo racing.. But it is yet to be seen if the chassis name will remain a Sauber!
The team name has to include the chassis name. So the chassis designation can't be Sauber which is kind of sad - even BMW kept the Sauber name (I guess Peter Sauber was still involved at that stage).
If the team name has to include the chassis name, the team names change every year as the chassis names change every year.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Mattchu

NathanOlder wrote:
02 Feb 2019, 14:02
If the team name has to include the chassis name, the team names change every year as the chassis names change every year.
I think he meant it the other way round, so the chassis has to include the team name.

Merceds [team name] Chassis : Mercedes WXX
Ferrari [team name] Chassis : Ferrari FxxT
Alfa Romeo [team name] Chassis : Alfa Romeo AR01

At least that`s from what I understand...

jjn9128

You're confusing chassis name with chassis designation. e.g. the W10/C38 are internal designations for the teams.
From the entry form for F1 teams:
CONSTRUCTOR'S DETAILS OF ENTRY
National Competitor Licence
Issued By
Number
Team Name
(Which must include the name of the chassis)
Using Mercedes as an example the team name is the "Mercedes-AMG Petronas Motorsport" they use a Mercedes chassis so Mercedes has to appear in the full team name. It's the reason Racing Stroll Points had to keep Force India in their name - as the chassis was called "Force India".
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Jolle

NathanOlder wrote:
02 Feb 2019, 09:44
Jolle wrote:
NathanOlder wrote:

It’s a bit of a gray area of course. Since Toro Rosso ran a Red Bull chassis in their first year, you have to at least own the design and I guess it has to bear your name, in which plant it was glued together doesn’t make a whole lot of difference. I have on the other hand no idea how Suzuki did it with the old Arrow’s chassis.

Next to the chassis name you need to have of course the green light of the other teams to change your core name without losing your license (and bonus pay). That’s one of the reasons BMW still kept the Sauber name (and you have to request it in time, else you’ll get a BMW Sauber with a Ferrari engine like we’ve seen). So, lots of rules and small writing.

nevill3

Alfa Romeo have confirmed that the chassis name is now Alfa Romeo Racing

See below for the latest FIA entry list

courtesy of https://www.fia.com/events/fia-formula- ... ship-entry
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

ScrewCaptain27

"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian

cplchanb

so now AR is trolling us fans with their swirly/camo testing liveries

illario

To me "Quadrifoglio" is much more than AMG, M, R... With all the respect i dont think its fair to use the word swirl/camo for the "Quadrifoglio". To me She represents the Goddess statute :)

Morteza

Apparently Sauber are at Fiorano today for a shakedown with their new car in the hands of Giovinazzi
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare