McLaren P1

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
the EDGE
the EDGE

Re: McLaren P1

Nonserviam85 wrote:
19 Dec 2017, 17:30
the EDGE wrote:
19 Dec 2017, 17:08
Nonserviam85 wrote:
19 Dec 2017, 16:56

That 99% of the buyers cannot even get close to the full potential of a hypercar, so design is equally important for a sportscar in my humble opinion ofc...
But the 540/70 range is the sports car, this is a track car designed with the same philosophy as a race car

Would you rather they sacrifice performance for looks?
They could have done definitely a better job!! (see Lambo Huracan Perfomante for example). Personally I prefer a beautiful car over 0.5 sec in Silverstone but I know for a fact that this is not McLaren's current philosophy. For your interest I made the exact same comment to the Technical Director for the P15 project and we are still having the same argument over and over again :D
Then save your self some money and buy the 720s, international acclaimed as the best car in its range and drop dead Gorgeous

You should check out YouTube, the 720s is also way fast than the Perfomante

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Nonserviam85 wrote:

They could have done definitely a better job!! (see Lambo Huracan Perfomante for example).
Sorry but it is lazy evolution of a design that hasn't changed in basic concept since the Diablo/Countach. The McLaren is, at least, something different.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Nonserviam85
Nonserviam85

the EDGE wrote:
19 Dec 2017, 18:09
Nonserviam85 wrote:
the EDGE wrote:

But the 540/70 range is the sports car, this is a track car designed with the same philosophy as a race car

They could have done definitely a better job!! (see Lambo Huracan Perfomante for example). Personally I prefer a beautiful car over 0.5 sec in Silverstone but I know for a fact that this is not McLaren's current philosophy. For your interest I made the exact same comment to the Technical Director for the P15 project and we are still having the same argument over and over again :D
Then save your self some money and buy the 720s, international acclaimed as the best car in its range and drop dead Gorgeous

You should check out YouTube, the 720s is also way fast than the Perfomante
I totaly agree with the 720S by far the best car McLaren produced (apart from the F1 ofc), that’s actually the plan :wink:

Andres125sx

Are you guys really discussion about personal tastes????? :o #-o

I can understand people who say hypercars much perform over any othe parameter. But I also understand people who say a hypercar must also look cool. Cars are not only a transport or a racing machine

Cold Fussion
Cold Fussion

OO7
OO7

Interesting to find out how it performs, because to me it looks hideous. :wtf:

Andres125sx

=P~ =P~ =P~ =P~

I think they should include a Wing Test button, wich quickly move the wing to all its positions to check if it´s working. That would be the excuse, as it would mainly work as a look how cool this is button, wich basically is what these hypercars are made for :mrgreen:

NoDivergence
NoDivergence

Nonserviam85 wrote:
the EDGE wrote:
Nonserviam85 wrote:
19 Dec 2017, 16:56

That 99% of the buyers cannot even get close to the full potential of a hypercar, so design is equally important for a sportscar in my humble opinion ofc...

You realize that the Senna makes 3 times the downforce of the Performante, right, while being fully active? This car will be over 10 seconds a lap faster at Silverstone than a Performante. It's significantly faster on track than a P1 GTR. Not even worth putting any of the cars you've mentioned in this conversation

Nonserviam85
Nonserviam85

NoDivergence wrote:
10 Feb 2018, 02:24
Nonserviam85 wrote:
the EDGE wrote:

You realize that the Senna makes 3 times the downforce of the Performante, right, while being fully active? This car will be over 10 seconds a lap faster at Silverstone than a Performante. It's significantly faster on track than a P1 GTR. Not even worth putting any of the cars you've mentioned in this conversation
When driven by a professional driver, not by myself...

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

the EDGE
the EDGE

Does anyone else find it rather sad & extremely cringe-worthy that Nico Rosberg now has his own sports car youtube channel or is it just me?

I was literally crying when he went to Merc to spec his AMG-1? was told he had to keep out of the way as they had a VIP visiting... Can you ever imagine another former world champ being treated in such a way... is there anyone more important to Merc that than their own former world champ?

and back to the car... 4 seconds quicker round the Aboladrome Huracán Performante & 3 seconds over the Vulcan, not bad for the little company from Woking

alexx_88
alexx_88

the EDGE wrote:
06 Feb 2019, 13:52
Does anyone else find it rather sad & extremely cringe-worthy that Nico Rosberg now has his own sports car youtube channel or is it just me?

I was literally crying when he went to Merc to spec his AMG-1? was told he had to keep out of the way as they had a VIP visiting... Can you ever imagine another former world champ being treated in such a way... is there anyone more important to Merc that than their own former world champ?

Yeah, it is a bit cringe-worthy, a car channel makes it seem like he has gone backwards, rather than forwards. But I do think Mercedes would've said the same to any of their drivers, P1 customers are probably very very high net-worth individuals who don't want to appear in random YouTube videos. Anyone else would've just cut that part out entirely.

McMrocks
McMrocks

On the other side there is finally a guy with knowledge about handling testing the cars. A guy that can push the car to its limits, a guy that can compare car characteristics.

But for him it is surely a step down. But he gets to drive great cars

Andres125sx

I disagree, it would be a step down for someone who want to be racing in F1, but this is not the case, Nico did quit from F1 voluntarily, he was not interested on the F1 bubble any more, he was after a more relaxed life with more time for his family, so this is, for him, a huge step forward, not backwards :wink:

Not everything in life is fame and reaching and staying in the very top of your job. Jobs are jobs, life is a different thing. For someone who is wealth enough for the rest of his life (if managed correctly) I find his decision pretty smart actually, someone who knows what´s important in life and is not affected by current century pandemia, greed/avarice

He´s enjoying the fruits of his job with just 33 years old and a lot of free time to be with his family and do some sporadic tests of the best production cars on planet. And some of you think his situation is not enviable? :wtf: #-o

This does confirm my theory, greed/avarice is a pandemia nowadays, people is so obsessed with fame and money they can´t even remember the reason they are after fame and money... :roll:

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

If he wasn't interested in "fame" he wouldn't be doing videos on youtube, he'd just be enjoying time with his young family out of the limelight. He wants fame and acclaim, that's why he's doing what he's doing.

There are plenty of rich, famous people who, having made their fortunes in movies, sport, whatever, just disappear from public view and just enjoy life away from the public gaze. Nico could do that but chooses not to. He wants to be in the public eye. He wants to stay "famous".
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.