McLaren MCL34 speculation thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
GoranF1

Re: McLaren MCL34 speculation thread

f1rules wrote:
05 Feb 2019, 16:25
i think the tilt thing was discovered many years ago, by dont remember who, if mclaren went that route again i have no idea or if its even possible, but this trick was discussed some years ago
This was my point, who will remeber...it was Ferrari 2010, some Toyota guys came over after Toyota chicken out of F1 and helped Ferrari introduced it, it was a mistake in the end.

And Mclaren WILL NOT have it i just wanted to see who will remeber. :D
It has no point to do so whitout double diffusor any way.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

ESPImperium

As far as i know, Ferrari started it in 2008 with a 2.5degree incline in 2008, but by 2010 when it was discovered via Toyota cross pollination, it was made more extreme to a 10degree then to 13degree by 2011 if i remember, I'm probably wrong tho. This was also pollinated to the other Ferrari powered teams as well, albeit a year later.

If McLaren has found a loophole and a way to reliably get the Renault lubricated up properly, with Renaults help on certain parts, i can see this being a significant performance gain. And without a doubt, if they were pushing Renault for a beefed up lubrication system and any other ancillaries, this will have been picked up by Renault somewhere and Im sure this will have been picked up at Einstone and Viry as well.

If Renault have produced a good power unit, and McLaren have a competitive chassis with a good loophole or two on it, and it is most of all reliable, I'm sure this car will be up there. Dare i ask the question if all this is true and is of value, and Fernando gets his day in first test and really likes what he is feeling, what will Alonso do??? Could this be the Alonso curse coming back again - a team getting a good car once he leaves again?

I will reserve proper judgement until i see the testing coverage in the next couple of weeks.

PhillipM

Doubt it, all this speculation about big loopholes and speed are coming from us lot and the press, as I said earlier, the guys in the factory are just looking forwards to getting back in front of the midfield pack.

GoranF1

ESPImperium wrote:
06 Feb 2019, 00:21
As far as i know, Ferrari started it in 2008 with a 2.5degree incline in 2008, but by 2010 when it was discovered via Toyota cross pollination, it was made more extreme to a 10degree then to 13degree by 2011 if i remember, I'm probably wrong tho. This was also pollinated to the other Ferrari powered teams as well, albeit a year later.

If McLaren has found a loophole and a way to reliably get the Renault lubricated up properly, with Renaults help on certain parts, i can see this being a significant performance gain. And without a doubt, if they were pushing Renault for a beefed up lubrication system and any other ancillaries, this will have been picked up by Renault somewhere and Im sure this will have been picked up at Einstone and Viry as well.

If Renault have produced a good power unit, and McLaren have a competitive chassis with a good loophole or two on it, and it is most of all reliable, I'm sure this car will be up there. Dare i ask the question if all this is true and is of value, and Fernando gets his day in first test and really likes what he is feeling, what will Alonso do??? Could this be the Alonso curse coming back again - a team getting a good car once he leaves again?

I will reserve proper judgement until i see the testing coverage in the next couple of weeks.
Its not true, it was a speculation joke out of boredom, and there was already a big debate over it in 2012...the inclined engine does not work whitout DD.
Ferrari had big problems whit it in 2011, they had to change oil pump a few times, and since engine was homolageted, all team had to sing for this.
But apreantly Mclaren does have some aero surprises ready, or at least they think others didnt think of it.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

ThePapayaJaguar

GoranF1 wrote:
06 Feb 2019, 02:08
ESPImperium wrote:
06 Feb 2019, 00:21

Its not true, it was a speculation joke out of boredom, and there was already a big debate over it in 2012...the inclined engine does not work whitout DD.
Ferrari had big problems whit it in 2011, they had to change oil pump a few times, and since engine was homolageted, all team had to sing for this.
But apreantly Mclaren does have some aero surprises ready, or at least they think others didnt think of it.
They did have a rear wing idea that no one thought of last season. I'm hoping we will see some more McLaren magic with this year's car now that they have a good sense of direction.

Link: https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13887 ... -wing-idea

_cerber1

McLaren is always pleased with its aerodynamic solutions, I hope this year will not let you down. [-o<

godlameroso

_cerber1 wrote:
05 Feb 2019, 16:06
GoranF1 wrote:
05 Feb 2019, 14:39
The picture is strange because it was taken from the engine.
And the engine is tilted 10° to increase diffuser area(a loophole mclaren has found)

Fire away!
How tilt can you increase the diffuser area?
The same way tilting an f20c lowers its height enough to fit a hood. Engines take up space, if you lift the rear of the engine it creates more space underneath but less above. Similarly, good packaging can also increase diffuser real estate.
Saishū kōnā

mclaren111

godlameroso wrote:
06 Feb 2019, 14:12
_cerber1 wrote:
GoranF1 wrote:
05 Feb 2019, 14:39
The picture is strange because it was taken from the engine.
And the engine is tilted 10° to increase diffuser area(a loophole mclaren has found)

Fire away!
The same way tilting an f20c lowers its height enough to fit a hood. Engines take up space, if you lift the rear of the engine it creates more space underneath but less above. Similarly, good packaging can also increase diffuser real estate.

Isn't the diffuser limited by the the rules ?? What is "diffuser real estate" ?? Thx

M840TR

mclaren111 wrote:
06 Feb 2019, 14:30
godlameroso wrote:
_cerber1 wrote:

Isn't the diffuser limited by the the rules ?? What is "diffuser real estate" ?? Thx
Not the diffuser itself but the area around it. If you have more space in front/on top of it, you could theoretically have more low pressure air above.

godlameroso

mclaren111 wrote:
06 Feb 2019, 14:30
godlameroso wrote:
_cerber1 wrote:

Real estate meaning the total area and airflow around it. A wing works well, but works less well when stuff is in the way. The diffuser strength is dependent on not just air speed, but air mass. The more air you can send to the aero surface, the more effect those surfaces will have. Tires, and the rest of the chassis blocks airflow from having a direct shot at the diffuser upper surface. Correctly sloped coke bottle shapes, narrow bodies, and airflow channeling wings and slots upstream, all work to guide airflow to increase the air mass interacting with the diffuser. Much like a turbo allows an engine to do more work by introducing more air, guiding more airflow to an area that would otherwise be stagnant is key, especially when those stagnant areas are so critical for performance.
Saishū kōnā

M840TR

Another sneak peek

godlameroso

M840TR wrote:
08 Feb 2019, 14:29
Another sneak peek

https://i.imgur.com/8OfV3ln.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/u0lpbrM.jpg
Do those fasteners use a nut on the other side? Looks to be a 5mm Allen head 10.8 grade fastener. Torque spec on something like that is probably 8.7ft lbs.
Saishū kōnā

M840TR

godlameroso wrote:
08 Feb 2019, 16:31
M840TR wrote:
Another sneak peek

Do those fasteners use a nut on the other side? Looks to be a 5mm Allen head 10.8 grade fastener. Torque spec on something like that is probably 8.7ft lbs.
It does look like his fingers are grasping something on the so probably yeah.

godlameroso

M840TR wrote:
08 Feb 2019, 18:55
godlameroso wrote:
M840TR wrote:
Another sneak peek

I often wonder if weight is considered when choosing bolt and nut combo vs studs, or self locking washers, and if propensity for loosening due to vibrations is also considered.
Saishū kōnā

M840TR

godlameroso wrote:
08 Feb 2019, 18:57
M840TR wrote:
08 Feb 2019, 18:55
godlameroso wrote:

I often wonder if weight is considered when choosing bolt and nut combo vs studs, or self locking washers, and if propensity for loosening due to vibrations is also considered.
That's like bolts 101 in F1.